• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm thinking about putting together a 9mm AR. Please dont laugh, but i dont own any AR's. Does anyone have any recomendations? Personal experiences? Links?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    You'll get plenty of help here soon. Lots of guys have them/want to have them on this board and it's definitely been discussed. I have everything I need minus the upper-and I won't get that until I get my SBR paperwork back (actually have to send it first). I want to get a 10.5" upper as I understand that's about as short as you want to go and keep reliability (with a suppressor).

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Rock River has a nice one...there are several others i've seen out there. Nothing wrong with a 9mm AR...it's cheap and fun to shoot. a friend of mine was even thinking of doing a 9mm AR with a suppressor for sh1ts and giggles.

I don't know how much you've researched it, but the lower usually requires a mag well adapter to take uzi mags (unless you get a 9mm only lower) and a different hammer than a standard 5.56 NATO/.223. You will need the upper (duh) and a 9mm bolt.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    It's cheap(er) to shoot, not to build....

That's the truth!

The different parts needed are the mag block, buffer, hammer, then the upper.

Rock River and CMMG both build 9mm uppers. The RRA is the better of the two, only becasue it is a slick side, the CMMG has a 223 brass deflector and foward assist on it. The CMMG just looks a little weird.

I buy a lot of stuff from Adco, Brownells and Rainier for my 9mm builds. No one dealer ever seems to have everything in stock at the same time.

My RRA
    standard.jpg

Started out as a 16" flat top, I SBR'ed it added a TROS 9.25" barrel, Daniel Defense 7" rail, Mag Pul stock & grip and HK 416 sights.

My home built
    standard.jpg

Superior SBR'ed lower, RRA upper, bolt barrel (from the above gun) cut to 5.5"
    YHM Rail, AWC suppressor, Burris XTS 135

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I won't get that until I get my SBR paperwork back (actually have to send it first). I want to get a 10.5" upper as I understand that's about as short as you want to go and keep reliability (with a suppressor).

You haven't sent that in yet! :sad20: What's the hold up?

With the 9mm you can go as short as you want. It's blow back so it doesn't suffer from the problems that gas guns do. My 5.5" gun runs perfectly with the suppressor.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i saw that model 1 has uppers for around 350. They have some that are "for pistols only" and some that are short (<16") and for rifles. If i get the upper first, and i dont have any lowers, and i do the paper work for a sbr lower, is there any reason why one of their "pistol" uppers wont work or would be wrong. I think if i do this it'll have to be a sbr.

The only reason i'm considering this is because my 9mm collection is growing, so i already hoard that ammo, and it would be something that is lightwieght for my wife to play with. So it'll have to be pink.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    You need the lower first to get the serial number to SBR. The pistol upper will work, but if you don't have SBR stamp you don't want the upper yet. You could get it and keep the upper in a different location. You can't get an AR pistol in Maryand so it would have to be SBR if you go shorty.

Did you price out building it yourself vs buying the whole rifle in 9mm complete from RRA? Check out ar15sales.com and see what they would charge your for a complete 9mm.

If you don't own any AR's I would just buy the whole rifle in 9mm from Rock River. Then you can customize it to your liking. That's what I did - I got mine from White Marsh Arms and it came with a FF rail already installed, I added a Magpul CTR, Tango Down VFG, and an EOTech. I posted pics in the AR thread. It is registered as an SBR, but I am waiting on a 3 lug barrel and I have a Gemtech Trinity supressor to mount. When I get the barrel I'll take off the EOTech and mount the HK sytle diopter sights or an Aimpoint in a cantilever Larue mount- it'll look like a mix of Jeepdriver's guns.

Too bad we have to go out of state to get the 32rd mags.

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    If you dont have any other ARs why not go for a different 9mm carbine? I understand wanting to practice with like controls if you own multiple ARs but you can buy multiple guns for the price of building a 9mm AR. Just a thought.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    i saw that model 1 has uppers for around 350. They have some that are "for pistols only" and some that are short (<16") and for rifles. If i get the upper first, and i dont have any lowers, and i do the paper work for a sbr lower, is there any reason why one of their "pistol" uppers wont work or would be wrong. I think if i do this it'll have to be a sbr.

The only reason i'm considering this is because my 9mm collection is growing, so i already hoard that ammo, and it would be something that is lightwieght for my wife to play with. So it'll have to be pink.

M1S is hit or miss. I'd stick with RRA, they are a little more to buy, but that money will save you fustration down the road.

As JCB said, you don't want to have a short upper around unless you have a stamp. ATF can consider it constructive intent. And as Maryland doesn't allow AR pistols you're screwed there too :sad20:

CMMG has a 14.5" 9mm Barrel (bottom of page) with a perment attached A1 flash hider that is as short as you can go w/o the stamp. But they are $610 + shipping, a RRA 16" 9mm is $480 from Rainier Arms

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Hey Jeep...what kind of ammo do you run through your 9mm setups for plinking?

WWB's getting hard to find, and UMC isn't strong enough to reliably cycle my setup.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Hey Jeep...what kind of ammo do you run through your 9mm setups for plinking?

WWB's getting hard to find, and UMC isn't strong enough to reliably cycle my setup.

I shoot Mag Tech mostly. Every once and a while I can feel it slowing down a little, but a couple drops of oil and it's fine again.

UMC 115 grain sucks ! Everyone has short stroking problems with it in 9m AR's. Thier 147 runs my suppressed set up, but I usually stick with Speer or Federal AE for it.

I bought 5K of the 115gr UMC about a year ago when Dick's was selling it for $6 a box, I ended up shooting my Glock a lot for a while since the AR wouldn't eat it :sad20:

If Ammo man has Speer on sale I buy that as well. But his prices are climbing on that stuff, now it's over $200, I don't think I'll be ordering any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom