• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    Well now that i have my first ar i'm bitten by the bug.
    looking at sig 556 looks good. posts seem mostly good what do you guys say ? :bowdown:

best prices ?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    They are a nice rifle. I've only had a chance to shoot a few mags through one, and I was impressed with it.

I've talked to a lot of 556 owners that has shot every type of ammo through thier guns and haven't had any problems with them.

There are aftermarket rail systems avaliable now, and the 550 series handguards are a drop in part as well.

They are a bit pricey tough. And I don't like the idea of spending $1100+ then having to spend even more before I shoot it on optics. The iron sights that come with are crap at best.

But they are one of the cheapest of the piston driven guns.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I am interested to see how the ACR/Masada does, they look to be superior to the sigs, and priced around $1400, quick change caliber kits sre supposed to be avilabe soon after they are released.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I am interested to see how the ACR/Masada does, they look to be superior to the sigs, and priced around $1400

You'll have to wait until the first 1/4 of 2009 at least to see it according to Bushmaster. And that's optimistic

That's the bigget problem with the ACR, it's not avaliable.

I would have loved to see this rifle on the market by now.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You'll have to wait until the first 1/4 of 2009 at least to see it according to Bushmaster. And that's optimistic

That's the bigget problem with the ACR, it's not avaliable.

I would have loved to see this rifle on the market by now.

You and me both, I think it will give the XCR and 556 a run for their money. The thing I like most is improved modular interchangability, buy a 12" 5.56 SBR with a suppresor, and in less than 5 minutes, swap over to a 20" 6.8spc BBL, or swap again, lock on a pistol lower, and you have a 9mm carbine, or use the AK lower, and you have a 7.62x39 or 5.45X39 that takes AK mags. AFAIK there is not much support in this way with the sig or Robarm. The stock also looked like a gem, a solid adjustable stock that you can get a good cheekweld with, and that can fold to the side for transport, of course, I am not sure what features from the original will make it into the civvie semi auto

Last edited:
    R

RavensD

There was a guy at Hap Baker with a 556 the other day, he seemed to be having some problems with it but I am not sure what was wrong. They are interesting but too pricey for me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There was a guy at Hap Baker with a 556 the other day, he seemed to be having some problems with it but I am not sure what was wrong. They are interesting but too pricey for me.

I've seen a couple there, looks like it gives the cetme and mini 14 a run for their money in the brass flinging distance category, I got beened a few times from 4 benches away. Thank goodness they finally put up the brass nets. I have heard that the tolerences are very tight, but they are plenty reliable with most any brass cased ammo, but jam up with weak steel cased stuff, and try to extract too quickly and jam if the regulator is set to the high setting when it doesn't need to be.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I would get one if they offered it as SBR with folding stock and handguards like the 551 or 552 SWAT.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    I would get one if they offered it as SBR with folding stock and handguards like the 551 or 552 SWAT.

You think it Sig will build it.

Supposedly comes out in August of this year

000-2-4-08-0114.jpg

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Well now that i have my first ar i'm bitten by the bug.
    looking at sig 556 looks good. posts seem mostly good what do you guys say ? :bowdown:

best prices ?

Black Rifle Disease is what its called. Love my 556, I think it shot better than the Bushmaster my buddy has, but that just might be subjective. It defiantly easier to clean(not as dirty).

Check out http://www.sigarms556.com, to read up

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I'll take it!

You and me both, but rumor is it's LE only, the pictured model is select fire. I hope the rumor is wrong.

I'm going to try my hardest to get a few transferable ones from Sig in semi auto.

One of them with a suppressor handing off the end would be sweet!

UNCLE WAWA

May 16, 2005
    FREDNECK,MD
    Black Rifle Disease is what its called. Love my 556, I think it shot better than the Bushmaster my buddy has, but that just might be subjective. It defiantly easier to clean(not as dirty).

Check out http://www.sigarms556.com, to read up

yes it IS an uncurable disease i've been to the sig forum and as usual, you hear all the bickering 'bout my gun is better than yours and all the problems.
    some may be true but mostly the whiners post. my humble opinion of course:party29:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Once you get past the forend it is a good gun, piston drive. Not that pricey compared to the XCR and piston ARs.

I will by one if it looks like the Bushmaster ACR is not going to materialize, be over $1600 in its most basic configuration or get caught up in politics I will by the SIG

Or I may just buy it anyways after I pay off my FNSLP, build my M1A1 clone, stock up on .30 carbine ammo etc.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    yes it IS an uncurable disease i've been to the sig forum and as usual, you hear all the bickering 'bout my gun is better than yours and all the problems.
    some may be true but mostly the whiners post. my humble opinion of course:party29:

I know where you are coming from, Sigforums is more of a everything forum, but Sigarms556.com at least from what I have looked at is purely Sig 556 Enthuisiast.

I forgot to mention I picked up the base Sig 556 for $1200 + Tax and Transfer from MSAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom