• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGAndrea

Mar 28, 2009
    Hello,
    I will try to make this as short as possible. I am the General Manager for a chain of Furniture and Mattress stores throughout Maryland. A few weeks ago at our Burtonsville location, a really creepy guy came in to buy a mattress. He started making extremely lewd sexual comments towards me and my warehouse manager. Also, as he walked out, he noted that the color of the sides of the mattress is purple and said, "kids love purple". Anyway, last week on one of my off days, he was waiting in his car when the owner opened the store. He walked in asking where I was screaming that he was there to kill me, and having been a top detective for Baltimore City, he knew how to do it and not get caught. I google'd this guys name that night and was horrified. There are articles after articles ranging form his sexual abuse of minors charge to things like answering a 911 call knowing he was the suspect being called in about during a domestic violence charge. He even pleaded guilty to that. I called Baltimore City police and they didn't want anything to do with it. They said to call Montgomery County police because the incident happened there. Basically, the police came out, wouldn't write a report, and rudely told me my best bet would be to get a restraining order...oh yeah...and made sure to add that they aren't my bodyguards. So much for liberals argument that we don't need guns because we have cops. Anyway, in addition to asking your thoughts on how I should handle this, I would like to know if you think this would help me get a CCW. I have one from when I lived in Chicago, but not a Maryland one. I manage a cash businesses, some in not so good parts of town, leave late at night by myself, etc Oh, and is it illegal to carry or have a loaded handgun in your place of business? I thought it wasn't but every cop I asked recently said yes.

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If you're a manager you can carry at work with permission from the business owner.
    Someone here will probably be kind enough to post the statute for you. If not, search the forum because this has come up many times.
    I'd call Montgomery County police back and ask them to write a report that the guy threatened you. I'd keep calling until they did it. Good luck and stay safe.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you're a manager you can carry at work with permission from the business owner.
    Someone here will probably be kind enough to post the statute for you. If not, search the forum because this has come up many times.
    I'd call Montgomery County police back and ask them to write a report that the guy threatened you. I'd keep calling until they did it. Good luck and stay safe.

I believe the problem with carrying at work without a CCW is getting the gun to and from work every day. I don't believe the transportation statute allows for the transporting of it to and from the business every day. Yep, the exception provides that it can only be worn, carried, or transported within the confines of the business establishment.

Md Code Criminal Law

§4–203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.
    (2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person’s official equipment, and is:
    (i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;
    (iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;
    (iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;
    (v) a sheriff or full–time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or
    (vi) a temporary or part–time sheriff’s deputy;
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5–307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    So what is this infamous individual's name?

Yes... ANYONE can "claim to be a former detective" with any agency. The question is... Was his claim real?

He sounds like a real loose screw. But, is he a genuine threat?

In the end... If the OP believes the threat to be real... and that the person has the intention and means to carry out that threat... Then a MoCo PD Supervisor needs to be contacted to find out why the Officer failed to take a Police Report for what amounts to a Felony/Aggravated Assault by Threat.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I believe the problem with carrying at work without a CCW is getting the gun to and from work every day. I don't believe the transportation statute allows for the transporting of it to and from the business every day. Yep, the exception provides that it can only be worn, carried, or transported within the confines of the business establishment.

Md Code Criminal Law

§4–203.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.
    (2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person’s official equipment, and is:
    (i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;
    (ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;
    (iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;
    (iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;
    (v) a sheriff or full–time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or
    (vi) a temporary or part–time sheriff’s deputy;
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5–307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;
    (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources–sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector’s gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;
    (7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;
    Item seven that you highlighted covers transporting... You don't transport a handgun inside the confines of a business. I think it's pretty clear that you can transport it to the business in the course of employment if all other conditions are met.

But then IANAL and you are.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome back BGAndrea .

For present, not adressing creepy detectives, but the topics more generally.

Since your previous posts in 2009 , there have been some changes in Carry Permits of interest to you . To greatly simplify , barring any issues with your background , and the endorsement of the ownership of your establishment, current practices have streamlined business related Permits , you you would expect to recieve a Permit with restrictions to the general effect of " While conducting business as General Manager of Xyz Furniture Company .

Back in '09 you had lots of questions relating to various situations and scenarios . If you haven't already done so study with a handgun instructor well versed in self defense and the law, or consult a lawyer well versed in firearms and self defense, or both.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So the police not investigating something they don't have jurisdiction over is upsetting to you?

Call the police that can actually investigate if a crime occurred in that jurisdiction. Apply for a Peace Order....seek a CCW if you feel necessary.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    My suggestion: get the police report filed, apply for a CCW permit and get a can of pepper spray.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I would take this approach and keep asking for a supervisor up the chain if you don't get an acceptable response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Posting because it seems relevant.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=207807

I agree with the police report, however when I had troubles with my neighbor all I had to do was talk to the county commissioner at the local jail and he guided me in filing a complaint (assault) against the guy without a written police report. The commissioner was at the county jail when the courthouse was closed and basically you fill out a detailed report of what happened, then he'll file it with the state attorney for criminal charges. That's also the time you ask for a peace order against the guy (which to me is worthless paper against nut jobs but helpful in court). I would at the least talk to the commissioner as you may need your manager to make a witnessed witness report there as well vs. your manager giving you a written statement to take along.

Good lick and do what you must while waiting for the legal system to catch up.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Item seven that you highlighted covers transporting... You don't transport a handgun inside the confines of a business. I think it's pretty clear that you can transport it to the business in the course of employment if all other conditions are met.

But then IANAL and you are.

Did you miss the AND at the end of (ii)? That means all three conditions must be met. Now, whether the LEO or the State's Attorney decide not to enforce it is up to them, but there is nothing that allows somebody to transport the firearm between their house and their place of employment. Otherwise, any "supervisory" employee, with permission from their employer, would have the ability to CCW between home and work. So, either you take the risk once by bringing the handgun to work and leaving it there, or you take the risk each and every day by bringing the handgun to and from work.

Does the law make sense? Nope. However, the AND is pretty clear and confines is pretty clear too. Maybe write the General Assembly and ask them to clear it up and include an additional bullet that says to and from the place of employment. Then, it would be clear.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Did you miss the AND at the end of (ii)? That means all three conditions must be met. Now, whether the LEO or the State's Attorney decide not to enforce it is up to them, but there is nothing that allows somebody to transport the firearm between their house and their place of employment. Otherwise, any "supervisory" employee, with permission from their employer, would have the ability to CCW between home and work. So, either you take the risk once by bringing the handgun to work and leaving it there, or you take the risk each and every day by bringing the handgun to and from work.

Does the law make sense? Nope. However, the AND is pretty clear and confines is pretty clear too. Maybe write the General Assembly and ask them to clear it up and include an additional bullet that says to and from the place of employment. Then, it would be clear.
    Agreed, it makes no sense as transport and carry are separate and distinct everywhere else in Maryland law.

I saw the "and" applying to just ii & iii but not necessarily to item i, but again IANAL, and you are.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Agreed, it makes no sense as transport and carry are separate and distinct everywhere else in Maryland law.

I saw the "and" applying to just ii & iii but not necessarily to item i, but again IANAL, and you are.

Yeah, the semi colon at the end of (i) and (ii) means that the "and" applies to all three items.

You really have to love the brilliance, or lack thereof, of our legislators.

About the only way I can see that portion of the statute actually working, is if the employer provides the handgun and it has to remain on the employer's premises.

Hopefully, the OP can just get a CCW because of this and everything becomes smooth for him regarding carrying a handgun for his safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom