• redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    "and who is
    14 carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    15 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    16 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con-
    17 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,)
    Line 16 has a big "or" before the part you bolded.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Line 16 has a big "or" before the part you bolded.

Didn't realize that "or" got left out. I would imagine that applies to states who issue with no need for G&S or an explanation of need. What does "or entitled to" mean? If you don't possess a permit in your state of residence, they will give you one?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I'm seeing the same thing... Language appears to be:

1) a license or permit issued to the law of a State

OR

2) is entitled to carry in the state they reside (e.g. VT, AZ, etc. con carry state residents)

... the first provision you can carry on doesn't appear to have any specific residency requirements.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I think a federal 2A recognition act would serve us better than this. Something that basically states the 2A shall not be infringed and allows citizens to sue local and state governments who do so. It would leave concealed carry permitting in the hands of the states and do away with permitting for open carry completely. And of course either option works wherever you travel.

If I understand correctly from people that live in Pa. and have a resident CWP that "Philthydelphia":lol2: doesn't allow them to carry in their city. And I have heard the same about New York State residents holding CWP's that New York City doesn't allow them to carry into the city.
    I don't know this for a fact but maybe someone can chime in.

A retired LEO that I worked with told me that he had a run in with a Philly police officer a while back during a traffic stop, when he informed the officer that he was a retired officer and was carrying. He was given grief about him carrying in their city on a LEOSA.

They didn't take his firearm but told him that they didn't appreciate him bringing it into Philly. Reason given because he didn't retire from there and wasn't from Pa. They told him not to bring it back next time he visited.

Now that could have just been some misinformed or anti anyone that isn't an active LEO in Philly should have a gun type.
    It will be interesting to see how this play's out with D.C. and City's like Philly and New York if they do approve a National carry law.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    they can't without stepping on the 10A. That's why it's wriiten the way it is.

Well then, let's give equal protection a go. Believing an entrenched GA will suddenly see things our way is a joke. Hiring a private security team is above my pay grade. Any permit holders want to take on the job pro bono?

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    "and who is
    14 carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    15 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    16 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con-
    17 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,)

There is an "or" there. "Or" and "And" are not the same.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Didn't realize that "or" got left out. I would imagine that applies to states who issue with no need for G&S or an explanation of need. What does "or entitled to" mean? If you don't possess a permit in your state of residence, they will give you one?
    I read "or entitled to carry" as covering residents of constitutional carry states without those persons needing to purchase a superfluous permit. However IANAL.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I read "or entitled to carry" as covering residents of constitutional carry states without those persons needing to purchase a superfluous permit. However IANAL.

I guess a driver's license would clarify that? Interesting. So they MAY be saying that a separate permit it not needed?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I read it over again and came up with this:

You have a permit issued by a state (any state)

Or

You are entitled to carry in your state of residence (no permit required)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No guarantee that SCOTUS will resolve the issue. The last 2 requests for CERT on these 2A issues have been denied.

For now, legislation and accompanying political pressure seem to be the only way forward.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I read it over again and came up with this:

You have a permit issued by a state (any state)

Or

You are entitled to carry in your state of residence (no permit required)

I agree the language cited previously is for those that live in states not requiring a permit. This looks as if any Non-Res permit a Marylander can acquire would be good to go here. As Delaware is (was?) the place to incorporate, I bet there will be a couple defacto states people will get permits from.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps one of our legal eagles can weigh in here with an interpretation.

Why are bills written this way? Plain language not written by lawyers would be a welcome change.(sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom