• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I am 5'8 but my reach is 72 inches. Which dictates a 28.8 inch draw length. My question is should I just go with a 28 inch draw or a 29? I traded for a bow that has 30 inch draw length and I cant shoot it well due to the sight being too far back and I have to contort my head to look through it. Obviously I didn't know wtf I was doing when I got the bow in the first place but live and learn. I had no idea about draw length being so critical etc. Im thinking I should just go with the 28 and be safe. Draw weight isn't really an issue. Current bow is 75lbs and I have no issues at all pulling it back easily. I will be looking into cheaper used bows. Not looking to hunt or anything serious just wanting to shoot in the backyard occasionally.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't believe in buying a bow by draw length. There is a LOT more to it than that. Go to a shop where you can be properly measured and be able to shoot several bows to see which model best fits your body and style.

Now, having said that, To get a general idea of what your draw length is, take a tape measure and hook the clip end in the web of your bow holding hand between the thumb and first finger. Now, draw the tape measure back to the corner of you mouth(if you are right handed, the tape should be 'drawn' to the right corner of your mouth). That will give you a starting point, but it will really be shorter than that. For instance, doing this, my measurement is 28''. However, my TRUE draw length is 27''. The worst thing you can do is buy a bow that's draw length is too long. A little shorter is always better.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't believe in buying a bow by draw length. There is a LOT more to it than that. Go to a shop where you can be properly measured and be able to shoot several bows to see which model best fits your body and style.

Now, having said that, To get a general idea of what your draw length is, take a tape measure and hook the clip end in the web of your bow holding hand between the thumb and first finger. Now, draw the tape measure back to the corner of you mouth(if you are right handed, the tape should be 'drawn' to the right corner of your mouth). That will give you a starting point, but it will really be shorter than that. For instance, doing this, my measurement is 28''. However, my TRUE draw length is 27''. The worst thing you can do is buy a bow that's draw length is too long. A little shorter is always better.

100% what outrider58 said. I measured myself at 28 as well but my true draw length after getting fitted was 27". It makes a huge difference. Go get fitted and try different bows at the shop. Good luck.
    By the way, I will be selling my Hoyt soon as I'm upgrading to an Elite. Let me know if you're interested.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The aperture can be moved to a better location, but there's only so far it can go since it rides along the string.

I'm not a compound shooter, but I believe modern compounds allow you to adjust the draw length.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    The aperture can be moved to a better location, but there's only so far it can go since it rides along the string.

I'm not a compound shooter, but I believe modern compounds allow you to adjust the draw length.

Some allow for adjustment and some are fixed. The bow I have is fixed.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Draw length hmmmm. I have been setting up a new bow and have been struggling. In talking about it with two different shops and two members at the club draw length is the first thing that comes up in 2 of the 4 conversations. In four of the four conversations arrow spine is also the topic. My last bow was set at 29" and when I tried longer and short draw lengths, easily adjustable on a PSE, I felt most comfortable with 29". With the tape measure method, I get 28". One shop suggested to see if I could draw and holding for a minute. The idea being that if I couldn't, my draw length was probably not set directly, in that some parts of my body would be working to hard to hold it drawn. I'm going to readjust it to 28.5" and see how it feels and try to get someone to look at me and my form. Most likely headed in to the shop...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Head over to LAS (lancaster archery supply) and get measured... don't waste time, effort and $$ trying on your own, have a tech work with you to see what exactly you should be shooting.. ;)

Draw length is adjustable on some, it is most critical for just about everyone. A good pro shop should be able to get you setup very quickly, or at the very least work with you so you know what you need if you want to buy elsewhere. A good range with some experienced shooters will do the same.

You can also adjust the peep if that is contorting your head. When properly setup, you should be able to close your eyes, raise and draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and be looking through the peep and sight at the target. You should not have to move your head at all, only your arms to raise and draw the bow.

There are a lot of basic setup and shooting skill issues that many beginners face that can be quickly overcome by shooting with someone who knows what they are doing, or at least having them help as you shoot.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Head over to LAS (lancaster archery supply) and get measured... don't waste time, effort and $$ trying on your own, have a tech work with you to see what exactly you should be shooting.. ;)

Draw length is adjustable on some, it is most critical for just about everyone. A good pro shop should be able to get you setup very quickly, or at the very least work with you so you know what you need if you want to buy elsewhere. A good range with some experienced shooters will do the same.

You can also adjust the peep if that is contorting your head. When properly setup, you should be able to close your eyes, raise and draw the bow, anchor and open your eyes and be looking through the peep and sight at the target. You should not have to move your head at all, only your arms to raise and draw the bow.

There are a lot of basic setup and shooting skill issues that many beginners face that can be quickly overcome by shooting with someone who knows what they are doing, or at least having them help as you shoot.

THIS /\

I can buy most archery stuff wholesale, but I still deal with Lancaster, as they always have what I want in stock and KNOW the sport and their products.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I am 5'8 but my reach is 72 inches. Which dictates a 28.8 inch draw length. My question is should I just go with a 28 inch draw or a 29? I traded for a bow that has 30 inch draw length and I cant shoot it well due to the sight being too far back and I have to contort my head to look through it. Obviously I didn't know wtf I was doing when I got the bow in the first place but live and learn. I had no idea about draw length being so critical etc. Im thinking I should just go with the 28 and be safe. Draw weight isn't really an issue. Current bow is 75lbs and I have no issues at all pulling it back easily. I will be looking into cheaper used bows. Not looking to hunt or anything serious just wanting to shoot in the backyard occasionally.

Take your bow & arrows to Autumn Sky Outfitters Route 1 Street MD...

They even have an indoor range to get you sighted in...

http://www.autumnskyoutfitters.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom