Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Attach a suppressor.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    CZ has a $199 kit (922r) coming out that will provide a folding stock and enough american made replacement parts to make the conversion a legal sbr with a $200 stamp.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    CZ has a $199 kit (922r) coming out that will provide a folding stock and enough american made replacement parts to make the conversion a legal sbr with a $200 stamp.

True. The problem is that in MD it needs to reach at least 29" in OAL, even if it's an SBR. The factory stock that comes with the 922R kit will not get it there.

HERA came out with a folding adapter that could be used to get someone closer to the needed OAL. The CZ arm brace adapter in conjunction with the HERA folding adapter and a 6 or 7 position buffer tube should work. You may have to go with a longer stock like the ACS, EMod, or Battlelink. But it should get the SBR to 29".

This is the best way to get it to be an MD legal SBR that I can think of. I can't confirm that the combo will meet 29" in OAL yet. But it should work. If anyone has any better ideas feel free to share them.

HERA folding adapter:
    http://www.lanworldinc.com/index.ph...roduct/334-hera-side-folding-unit?Itemid=9999

CZ Arm Brace adapter:
    https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/19992_Scorpion-Evo-3-S1-Pistol-Arm-Brace-Kit

CZ 922R kit:
    https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/19380_Evo-922r-Parts-And-Folding-Stock-Kit

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Attach a suppressor.
    Not going to help unless it's permanently attached.

This is the best way to get it to be an MD legal SBR that I can think of. I can't confirm that the combo will meet 29" in OAL yet. But it should work. If anyone has any better ideas feel free to share them.
    Keep in mind that you'd need to ditch the factory flash hider to do what you're suggesting, and would not be able to attach a suppressor later on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with an AR stock myself, but some people don't like the "look".

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Keep in mind that you'd need to ditch the factory flash hider to do what you're suggesting,

CZ markets the muzzle device included in their 922R kit as a "Compensator", not a "Flashider". CZ does not describe it as having any flash suppression capabilities. MSP goes by the manufacturer's description when deciding what type of muzzle device it is. If CZ says it's a compensator, then it's a compensator. This is a case of leaving well enough alone and not pushing the issue any further. Plus, there will be aftermarket brakes and compensators available soon. So there would be no reason to be without a muzzle device if one were to SBR an EVO.

namelessname120

Jul 6, 2011
    I saw that video, I read the comments and its 27.5 inches long with the stock fully extended, so for Maryland residents it needs to be 1.5 inches longer. I guess a barrel extension or a longer muzzle break

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I saw that video, I read the comments and its 27.5 inches long with the stock fully extended, so for Maryland residents it needs to be 1.5 inches longer. I guess a barrel extension or a longer muzzle break

There are two versions of the ACE Socom stock. The short one, which is what was used in the video, has a 7.5"-9.5" LOP. They make a long version of it as well which has a 9.5"-11.5" LOP. So the longer one would get the EVO to an OAL of 29.5".

ACE Socom stock:
    http://riflestocks.com/store/product99.html

Putting together an MD legal Scorpion SBR is very possible using the AR stock method. Like others, I'm not the biggest fan of having to use an AR stock to do it. But when you have no other option and want an MD legal Scorpion SBR, what choice do you have?

Last edited:

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    between, a longer muzzle device, and a but pad extension its a non issue. even if it was its not like anybody is going to public ranges and taking a tape measurer to federally registered short barrel rifles. I am still waiting for a leo to ask me for my form1, its only been ten years now.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Poking around I stumbled across two listings by the same PA outfit that may provide options.

For the folder in the first listing I have been told on a stock scorpion it will yield an OA length of 26.5 in the collapsed position and 29.5 opened and fully extended. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=498790088#PIC

Don't know about the second 9non-folding) listing below, but it says the collapsed position is 9" and the extended position is 12". http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=496375555

BTW, I saw a guy listing a factory CZ folding stock (that will come up short) for $1,000. :sad20:

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Gryphon!! That second stock is sexy. I contacted the seller and he says,
    "It's 29.5" Extended all the way out to tip of flash hider. We make them here and try to get out in a day or two if we dont have already made up."

Guess who will be buying that when I get my scorpion :)

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Okay, so there are a couple of options - both folding and collapsible. BTW, just for those that may come along after the GB ads above are expired, the guy is Title II Arms and he is located in PA. He was very responsive to my email inquiries, and said they fab all sorts of custom buffer tubes and whatever you might want. That first kit is a little pricey for the folder, but I think both look good.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    He re measured and it turns out the collapsible one isn't long enough. He will fabricate a custom tube for us Marylanders to get beyond the 29" barrier. It only needs to be an inch longer

I'm gonna go ahead and order one

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I'm waiting for pictures and OAL of the Scorpion with side folding mechanism and the skeleton style stock linked above by Gryphon. I can't wait and hope my Scorpion SBR dreams come true without having to permanently pin anything.

Now to find an 18x1 to 1/2x28 adapter or piston for my Octane.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I have a "Dumb" question, if the pistol is 16.14" and the MFT Stock with attach point is 12" fully extended = 28.14", Do you have to put something on the Barrel ( Barrel having to be 16"?) or just beef up the Stock to reach the magic # 29"?

New to this NFA Class 3 stuff?

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    You would have to permanently attach the muzzle device or install an extended butt pad of some sort to reach at least 29 inches from extended stock to muzzle device and the barrel doesn't need to be 16 inches.

In my communication with Title II Arms, the poly folder with MFT is just about 29.5 inches extended end to end. You lose about 1/2 inch when you take off the flash hider but he could make the mounts slightly longer to get u to 29 1/8 - 29 1/4 extended with no flash hider.

Someone please refresh my memory, do SBR's need to pass the feature test? Since my ideal setup would include a side folder, I could NOT also install a flash hider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom