• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxskater25

Jul 31, 2016
    In regards to resident or non I'm not sure the permit in Florida indicates one way or the other. They stopped putting the address on them a year or so ago. the police will usually contact the agency to verify maybe there is where it specifies. But I've never seen a CCW from Florida that says non resident

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    they used to IIRC. the change was made when they went from a 5 year to a 7 year permit.

my first permit was 5 years. A number of states like NV dropped FL when they went to a 7 year permit as they claimed it was no longer "substantially similar" to their own permit. My fiirst permit was signed by the old Sec of Ag,

Charles Bronson (not he actor)

the other technical difference is residents or a non resident who is in state can be fingerprinted electronically in state. non residents not in state provide prints on paper cards.

If your FL permit has a FL address on it, it's a resident permit and will be honored in PA.

if it doesn't it.s not and it won't be honored.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    they used to IIRC. the change was made when they went from a 5 year to a 7 year permit.

my first permit was 5 years. A number of states like NV dropped FL when they went to a 7 year permit as they claimed it was no longer substantially similar to their own permit. My fiirst permit was signed by the old Sec of Ag,

Charles Bronson (not he actor)

the other technical difference is residents or a non resident who is in state can be fingerprinted electronically in state. non residents not in state provide prints on paper cards.

I wonder if Gpfan was printed electronically. if yes then i stand corrected and he is correct.

Ok, not end of discussion... LOL!!! :)
    Yes, I did this in-person at the Tax Collector's building in Ft. Myers, FL. They looked up my tax bill, had me fill out the form electronically, electronic fingerprinted me, and took a digital picture all in the span of 15mins and I was out the door. Also, I believe the Mailing Address is meant for out-of-state folks because it says if different than Resident Address. If the Mailing Address is different inside FL, why not just put that as the Resident Address? The CCW is for FL State, not just for certain jurisdictions in the state.

And I used my MD Drivers License as identification and my DD-214 to fulfill the training requirement.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    well, I stand corrected then. Thank you for the clarification.

SC has a separate link to the tax assessors office to get a resident permit for people who don't live there.

I do think that simply putting two different addresses without some additional proof, ie, tax records might not fly.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Can we get back to the topic at hand??? Gun transport in MD, not whether someones FL CCW is accepted in PA.... :sad20: :sad20::sad20::sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes, but the fact that the poster said he had a FL CCW but lived in MD portrayed that as some additional protection for himself and as such the need for some clarification was needed,. He then clarified that his FL permit was a resident permit and therefore honored in PA.

While not 100% on topic, worth noting IMO.

Salient points all.

thread drift now corrected.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    yes, but the fact that the poster said he had a FL CCW but lived in MD portrayed that as some additional protection for himself and as such the need for some clarification was needed,. He then clarified that his FL permit was a resident permit and therefore honored in PA.

While not 100% on topic, worth noting IMO.

Salient points all.

thread drift now corrected.

What in the above needed clarification with regards to the subject at hand, Gun Transport in Maryland?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the fact that the poster had a FL CCW, which while doing nothing for him in MD, Would make him legal at his destination. sometimes ancillary info is good. if you don't need it, that's fine.

accurate info is always good so people don't run afoul of things. You arguing also takes the thread OT.

BTW I'm done now. carry on.

Last edited:

PAInterloper

Apr 24, 2018
    First time poster so forgive my ignorance and stupidity if the question was already answered however I read all nine pages. ;) The jist of it is, I just want some clarification on this topic for my circumstances.

I reside in PA and carry concealed in PA and states with reciprocity because I can do so legally with my PA CCW.

I often drive from PA to VA through MD & WV with Maryland being the sticky wicket. I got an education about the MD statute & FOPA after reading this thread but I am still confused.

Some details:

NO long guns are involved.

I have NO plans to stop in Maryland except in an emergency like running out of gas or the need to hit the head which should be avoidable with some planning.

I can verify my residence, point of origin & destination if need be.

Before I get to MD I plan to put the unloaded handgun(s) in the rear of my SUV (which isn't "technically" separated from the vehicle cabin except by the rear seat) and the ammunition which MAY consist of loaded magazines and/or speed strips & speed loaders for revolvers.

I plan to store the ammo separate from the weapons.

Here are my specific "just in case I get stopped & searched in Maryland" questions:

If I have two suitcases in the rear compartment that are lockable (if need be), would one suffice for storage of the unloaded handguns while the other is used for the storage of the ammunition and magazines, speed strips, etc.?

Should I bother un-loading the magazines & or speed loaders/strips even if stored separately from the handguns?

The bottom line is I am trying to avoid having to bring along lockable gun cases & ammo boxes if possible since carrying my handguns on my trip THROUGH Maryland TO Virginia isn't about target practice, it's about having them when I can carry them legally in VA.

Thanks in advance for any information and clarification you can provide!!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Loaded magazines are legal.

Only one case needs to be locked. Either the ammo or the firearm case. FOPA uses the word OR when transporting guns and ammo in a vehicle with no trunk

V-tac

Industry Partner
    May 8, 2018
    Am I understanding that even with a MD conceal carry permit you can not carry loaded in the vehicle?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Am I understanding that even with a MD conceal carry permit you can not carry loaded in the vehicle?

You understand (somewhat) correctly, with a carry permit and within your restrictions you may carry loaded in a vehicle. If you are outside your restrictions, then the only locations you can transport a handgun to, are those listed in the state statute, and yes, unloaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom