• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    The movie Brave has sparked both my daughters interest in archery. Any suggestions for a bow that would be sized for 7 year old. I want something of decent quality so she can get a good feel for the sport . Thanks

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    The movie Brave has sparked both my daughters interest in archery. Any suggestions for a bow that would be sized for 7 year old. I want something of decent quality so she can get a good feel for the sport . Thanks

The Mathews Genesis is great for kids. It is used in the Archery In The Schools Program, and many youth archery clinics. My Daughter started out with a pink one. lol

http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis/

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Before you buy...... let me talk to my son.

He has a Browning "Micro Midas" compound bow. It is made for beginning archers.
    I had a new string put on it, and had the bow checked out. It's in really great shape.
    (He's outgrown it!!)

He works until 8:00 p.m. today.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Mini genesis. They will be ready to move up by 9 or so to a standard genesis but I suggest you put them on recurves by then. Pse razorback jr and put heavier limbs on when they are ready.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I'm in the exact same boat, but my daughter is 6 (albeit quite tall). Anyway, what would you recommend in "traditional" style bows? Compounds really don't appeal to either of us

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I'm in the exact same boat, but my daughter is 6 (albeit quite tall). Anyway, what would you recommend in "traditional" style bows? Compounds really don't appeal to either of us
    hard to say. most youth bows only go down to 15 lbs. she should be able to atleast get it to shoot even if she cant come to full draw. once again, the PSE razor back jr is a darn nice bow and is take down so you can change limb weights when she gets there.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Before you buy her a bow, figure out if she draws right or left handed (if she has never shot before).

It doesn't necessarily mean she is right handed - if she writes right handed. It boils down to muscle groups and eye dominance.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I could use the same thing too. My 6 yo really wants to shoot. SCSC doesn't have any archery range do we?

We used to.
    We had a really nice archery range and one of the best 'walk thru' ranges I've seen.

We shoot in our back yard.

Since F-Stop is the OP, he's got first dibs on Brad's bow.
    IF he doesn't want it, I'll contact you.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    We used to.
    We had a really nice archery range and one of the best 'walk thru' ranges I've seen.

I wish we could shoot in our yard. Anyway, no prob on Fstops deal, I didn't know it was a sale offer. I'm not looking to buy just yet anyway

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    My advice, find a bow club nearby and talk to them.. take a drive out one saturday at midday and talk to some of the members there. Many members at the local clubs (and MD has more than many states) will give advice, offer help, some have intro to archery. It doesn't matter if you are 6 or 86, they will help you out!

I have shot competitive archery at about every club in the state and many around in neighboring states and I can tell you that if you take the time to show up and talk to some of the locals at a club, you will find free help and lots of it. Archers love to bring new members into the sport, especially youth!

Here is a link to the MAA list of clubs in MD. Check em out, you should find one nearby, hopefully!

http://www.md-archery.org/md_clubs.htm

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I know that Anne Arundel Archers and Twelfth Precinct Archery both offer summer classes for either youths or all ages (TPA - youth program, AAA- all ages)

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    We used to.

3J's archery just opened a full 20 target 3D course complete with youth stakes. Also have a 40 yard range next to the shop and give lessons. 20 minutes from Waldorf in morganza behind captain Leonard's.

I am not sure if it is going to happen this year but 7th district optimist had a youth shoot that I helped mentor in. The tournament that was for the us big guys was used to fund the little ones and only 13 people showed up this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom