• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brychan, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. When I had to make the same decision, I went with OC. It is simple, easy to maintain and there is a little less psychological baggage for them to overcome in spraying a potential threat, as contrasted to shooting a potential threat. But the most important lesson you can pass on is to avoid the fight. Constant situational awareness, avoiding risk, seeing escape routes, safe practices like looking in a parked car before getting into a parked car - those can't be overemphasized and they deserve continued attention. Good luck. Just thinking about this puts you ahead of most.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Brychan, there's a lot of good advice in this thread. When I had to make the same decision, I went with OC. It is simple, easy to maintain and there is a little less psychological baggage for them to overcome in spraying a potential threat, as contrasted to shooting a potential threat. But the most important lesson you can pass on is to avoid the fight. Constant situational awareness, avoiding risk, seeing escape routes, safe practices like looking in a parked car before getting into a parked car - those can't be overemphasized and they deserve continued attention. Good luck. Just thinking about this puts you ahead of most.

^^^ This. Those are the sort of things we teach in the Refuse To Be A Victim seminar.

Mar 23, 2016
    Carroll County
    What about legality issues concerning potential searches / requests to be searched by a police officer if you are carrying stun gun concealed and a police officer notices or someone notices and reports the bulge / outline or confuses grip with a handgun grip? If confronted by law enforcement are you legally obligated to show / prove an item that you legally can carry?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What about legality issues concerning potential searches / requests to be searched by a police officer if you are carrying stun gun concealed and a police officer notices or someone notices and reports the bulge / outline or confuses grip with a handgun grip? If confronted by law enforcement are you legally obligated to show / prove an item that you legally can carry?

First off, if you are confronted with law enforcement, comply, especially if they have their gun drawn.

there is nothing to show, and its not against the law to have a stun gun.

sue them later over the humiliating experience, that traumatized you.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    They actually have one on AMAZON that is 999MV...almost 1GV and for just $10 or $11. But here in Harford county, they're either illegal or restricted. DAMN!!!!!

But I do have 3 of them...the little ring stun gun which is 16MV, a flashlight type that's 50MV and one which is quite large but is still 230MV. C'mon over here and get the shock of your life!!! :innocent0:innocent0:innocent0 :party29::party29::party29:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    They actually have one on AMAZON that is 999MV...almost 1GV and for just $10 or $11. But here in Harford county, they're either illegal or restricted. DAMN!!!!!

But I do have 3 of them...the little ring stun gun which is 16MV, a flashlight type that's 50MV and one which is quite large but is still 230MV. C'mon over here and get the shock of your life!!! :innocent0:innocent0:innocent0 :party29::party29::party29:
    This is no longer true. http://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/2017/02/md-jurisdictions-strike-stun-gun-bans/
    343a9ae4598e4b47a1d2b951ebc4d31e.jpg

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    I wasn't talking stun guns in general. I know they're legal now. I'm talking about the almost 1 BILLION volt stun power. Unless of course it has just not been updated and they didn't remove that part of the description. Could that be right??? Hmmmm :innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    There is confusion with the words Stun Gun and Taser. Some 'splaining is in order and I am not experienced enough to do so.

anyone?

Here is the law as written here in Harford county. They include air guns and non powder projectiles, ECDs and firearms. But I would question the legality of tasers a the projectiles have barbs. Cattle Prodism? IDK.

'but shall not include any devices such as cattle prods or nerve stimulators specifically designed for and used in the medical or agricultural field'

http://ecode360.com/9375516?highlight=rifle,air

Last edited:

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Never mind the Volts, it's the AMPS that matter.

Negative! That's why there's such a variety in the voltage output. The current is extremely low. Amperage kills. In fact, one half amp can kill a person because of the slight amount of electrical current the body produces. The higher the voltage, the less chance of 'pull away' by the "shockee". That's also why it causes loss of balance, muscle control, confusion, and disorientation.

http://www.tbotech.com/stun-gun.htm

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Negative! That's why there's such a variety in the voltage output. The current is extremely. Amperage kills. In fact, one half amp can kill a person because of the slight amount of electrical current the body produces.

exactly

A 9V battery is harmless on your external skin
    A 9V battery will shock you when in contact with conductive saliva.
    A 9V battery can interrupt your heart rhythm, if the current penetrates your skin (e.g. probes).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I do not think volts matter. Even though these generate a billion volts, the actual voltage that crosses the air or through skin is about 50,000 (resistance). What matters is the amps behind it and delivered charge, maybe through clothing. Most of these are in the 3 milli amp range, they will not kill you.

What I would like to see is tests with clothing to see if the charge really makes it through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom