• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I am looking for some help/guidance with building an AR type SBR. The "Sticky" about SBR's at the top of the forum is dated 2008... Im sure a lot of it is still accurate but I have a few questions...

First off, the SBR I will want to apply for will be registered as "INDIVIDUAL".

I plan to use One(1) of the Two(2) Aero Lowers for my SBR that I just ordered and should be in my possession within a week or so. (I have 2 PRE SB281 lowers that I assume I wouldn't want to use but correct me if i'm wrong please). Save your PRE-SB281 for other projects

I have an Individual Form 4 for a suppressor that is currently pending I applied for thru the Silencer Shop Kiosk at Engage. Can/Will Silencer Shop allow me to use the data they currently have on file for an SBR submission? (Finger Prints, Picture, etc...) NO, you have to submit new info per application.

I also am not sure exactly what I want to build yet but I want to get a Form 1 submitted to get in line so to speak. What info do I NEED to decide on when I submit the Form 1? All depends on what you want to do with it, suppress it, HD, just range toy, practical work type gun?

If there is an easy step-by-step thread on this site or elsewhere someone can point me to, that would be great. Otherwise, any info or help given is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance.

See responses in red, good luck. You have a lot of time, watch videos, look at pictures and read forums. You will get an idea soon enough.

IMG_0514
    by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    With Marylandistan's new 29" OAL requirement combined with The BATFE saying pistols are legal to shoulder again, I wouldn't SBR anything. Build yourself a pistol and use a Kak Blade, Sig Brace, etc.
    If you're doing 5.56/.223, look into how quickly ballistics drop when barrel lengths go below 12". A 7" AR15 barrel in 5.56/.223 will have ballistics so poor it would surprise you.

I was going to SBR my AR pistol but I may just keep it as is. I would agree with the minimum barrel length comment. My understanding is that an AR will not make a "lethal" wound channel below a certain barrel length and ammo selection combination which is why LE does not go below 10.5" for their SBR's. Somewhere between 10.5 and 12 is probably the sweet spot.

One other observation; the 29" OAL does not apply to rimfire.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    With Marylandistan's new 29" OAL requirement combined with The BATFE saying pistols are legal to shoulder again, I wouldn't SBR anything. Build yourself a pistol and use a Kak Blade, Sig Brace, etc.

If you're doing 5.56/.223, look into how quickly ballistics drop when barrel lengths go below 12". A 7" AR15 barrel in 5.56/.223 will have ballistics so poor it would surprise you.

I can't help as far as how to fill out a Form 1. All mine were efiled​. Some things to be aware of though are you must enter the caliber of said SBR (you can add other calibers on the lower after you get your stamp) and the over all length mut be a minimum of 29" measured with the stock fully extended. There is no minimum barrel length. Just an OAL requirement.

So get this.

I got my Form 1 stamp yesterday. Back when I filed I listed my OAL at 27". I was new to the whole thing a year ago and didn't really understand MD law. I was expecting the app to come back disapproved. Well so my surprise it came back Approved.

Now I remember reading somewhere that if you have a federally approved SBR you are lawful in MD. For now I need to do more research. If I do SBR my pistol I'll probably keep it at 29 oal.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Attachments

• 1f02a7d6eecc84be22bfc88bfefdbac8d6030a130562b5b8e6e3b054c9897dc8.jpg
      1f02a7d6eecc84be22bfc88bfefdbac8d6030a130562b5b8e6e3b054c9897dc8.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 129

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Who signed it? I'm gonna request them next time lol!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ATF take on some contractors lately to, you know, handle the increased business? :shrug:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Dear John,

Delete your post and quietly go about your business.

Love,

Kyle

PS- Don't waste $200 on SBR'ing a pistol while still a MD subject- spend the money on reloading components.

Geez I'm getting a Dear John letter on MDS.

I love the pistol and probably won't change it. Shooting subs have almost no recoil and my last trip to the range I was hitting 12" steel at 100yds standing just stabilizing with my cheek. It's really great. I should have my suppressor built in a few weeks which will make it even better.

As for the stamp I'll let the post stand. The pistol is It's not serialized so I can just hold onto the stamp and build it whenever I move out of MD or file to rescind the stamp and get my money back I guess.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Geez I'm getting a Dear John letter on MDS.

I love the pistol and probably won't change it. Shooting subs have almost no recoil and my last trip to the range I was hitting 12" steel at 100yds standing just stabilizing with my cheek. It's really great. I should have my suppressor built in a few weeks which will make it even better.

As for the stamp I'll let the post stand. The pistol is It's not serialized so I can just hold onto the stamp and build it whenever I move out of MD or file to rescind the stamp and get my money back I guess.

Kinda in the same boat(just got my last stamp tonight) with the pistol. My plan all along was to keep it a pistol until I exfil from Merryland when I can SBR it and keep the 5" barrel which also likes to shoot tight groups @ 100yds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom