• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Has anyone here used a Promag safety for a Mossberg 500?

I installed one but now I'm basically getting 3 positions for the safety. Safe acts as normal, then it clicks into a spot that looks like it should be on fire but is still actually on safe, move the safety another 1/8" and it's on fire. During firing the safety will slide back that 1/8" from fire into the fire/safe condition. Should this replacement safety be used with the detent plate? I've tried flipping and rotating the plate and even installing the safety without the plate. The installation instructions are basically non-existant.

Here are some pics of the promag button lined up with the original detent plate. You can see that the detent spacing is off on one side.

Attachments

• 0521170826.jpg
      0521170826.jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 199
    • 0521170828a.jpg
      0521170828a.jpg
      22.8 KB · Views: 190

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just my opinion but for some reason the words "Promag" and "Safety" just don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy when together. :)

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I'm pretty sure I have it figured out now but need to do a range test to verify. After swapping many parts back and forth I found the following. The aftermarket safety works on my other guns. Factory safety's work on this gun. The aftermarket safety didn't work on this gun. That lead me to think it was an issue with the interaction of the receiver and safety. I found that my gun is one of the ones that has a stacked detent ball hole. The stacking didn't allow the detent ball to protrude enough or put enough pressure on the safety. Once I removed the stacking the safety seems to work much better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom