• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    SKS, the first thing I would do is convert the SKS back to use Duck Bill magazines, like it was configured before 2013, but take the fixed magazine with me in case I needed it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If these are your only choices, then the SKS for fire power alone. But why not an AR15 carbine. They are just as compact as the M1 Carbine and have more firepower than the SKS.

Just offering another option.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I spend a lot of time in the car, so my brain comes up with stupid stuff like this all the time.

Hypothetical SHTF scenario. You are relaxing in your home when suddenly you realize that the end of the world has crept up on you and it is time to bug out to a safer location. You have your go bag ready with enough essentials to keep you going for a week or more (enough to get you where you are going), but you are loaded down and can't take too much extra weight. The hordes are coming and you have just enough time to grab your bag and one of two weapons sitting in the corner.

1) SKS with a standard 10 round box magazine and a few stripper clips and 50 rounds of 7.62x39

or

2) M1 Carbine with a standard 15 round detachable magazine (and a spare) and 50 rounds of .30 carbine

Which do you grab knowing that you don't know what you are going to face on the trail?

Bonus question... would your answer change if you had a 30 round magazine for the carbine?

I love my M1s but in a survival SHTF situation, I would probably grab the SKS. The extra power would be a better man-stopper and would also be capable of taking a deer while on the trail if needed. Neither are tack drivers and both are most effective under 150 yards, so no real advantage there.

I might reconsider this if the carbine had a 30 round mag as that would be preferable if encountering human predators... but with only 50 rounds of ammo, I'm not sure how much of a factor reloading would be. My choice would be to escape not stand and confront. So, I guess I'm going to stick with the SKS answer.

Anybody else want to play?
    Id take the sks, you have a better chance of finding ammo

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    SKS.

For me, facing the unknown means assume the worst (weather, ammo availability, threats). That equals a workhorse with more common caliber.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Zombies or no zombies?

SKS is going to be much easier to maintain long term. 7.62 round is better for penetration of body armor in case any zombies were say, armored car guards before they turned. With M1 car you are going to carry more ammo for the same volume/weight. Killing a deer with an M1 car should not be a problem.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to be That Guy twice in same thread :

Is this - Grab and Run , for up to a week , and then the situation is competitively improved ? ( Think storm , flood , singular civil disturbance.)

OR Grab and Run , and keep running , and either lost in wilderness , or a longer term complete breakdown of society ?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just to be That Guy twice in same thread :

Is this - Grab and Run , for up to a week , and then the situation is competitively improved ? ( Think storm , flood , singular civil disturbance.)

OR Grab and Run , and keep running , and either lost in wilderness , or a longer term complete breakdown of society ?

I was thinking of a scenario to get to a more defensible position for long-term stability (i.e. your bug-out location) where other resources are positioned.

.... and every thread NEEDS That Guy :D

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I'll take the carbine in the upgraded scenario, lighter weight and more ammo. I can always secure another firearm option later.

In the first option I would have chosen the sks, as others have said ammo is a little easier to find for it with only 50 rnds to start with.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And in somewhat of a reversal-

With parameters of Rifle & 10lb of ammo , AND reaching secure location with more, better suff of all types either within a week or not at all , squishy advantage to SKS .

But of course the nature of the open ended unpredictable fan hitting situation has far more to do with survivability, than which of these two rifles you grab .

Lots of scenarios not needing to shoot either . Lots of scenarios would be essentially unsurvivable no matter which rifle you had . ( Or if favorable seating in Valhalla was a criteria.)

And even situations where the M1 would have better .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm guessing that there's a general consensus, and for mostly the same reasons: SKS.

I like the M1 Carbine, but for a SHTF scenario, the SKS is a clear winner.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not a hands down winner, but I'd choose the SKS. I like the extra power it offers. Range is not an issue, but my friends carbine is more accurate at 100 yds. Again not an issue because 100 yds is a good ways off in the real world. Just outside my house, with a range finder there is only one opening that allows further distance than 100 yds and that goes to 180 yds. Go into the bush, the distances shrink considerably. Stay away from people, you will do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom