• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Hope that the group can help me diagnose a problem with my WWII P-38. Took it out today and the first 6 shots were perfect... On the 7th I couldn't engage the trigger (i.e. squeeze and no action). After ejecting the round, inspecting the mag, switching mags, and a series of function checks, it looks like after firing a round the trigger isn't resetting. I can get it to fire if I decock the hammer and then remove the safety at which point the trigger resets and I can manually cock the hammer and fire. After flicking the safety on and off, it will fire both in single and double action, but only for one round before I have to manipulate the safety again to reset the trigger. Thoughts?

Jul 1, 2012
    First, is it an all-matching, original gun? (then probably a worn/broken part)
    or a mis-match, or import? (poorly fitted part)
    Late-war? (AC45, CYQ V block or later) - (Late-war Mausers were consistently good up to the end)
    If it's a late war Spreewerk I'd be a little hesitant to shoot it. Quality was not job one.

Second, is this the first time you've fired it, or has it behaved well and suddenly went kaput? (pointing to something broke)

Third, check the simple stuff first like:
    a) sear spring, trigger bar spring, and trigger spring installed correctly, not broken.
    b) right grip not binding on trigger bar (highly unlikely)
    c) field strip and check the safety lever and lifter in the frame to make sure they aren't bent or damaged - and check the trigger spring while it's opened up.

P.38's are notorious for problems with the decocker/safety but this sounds a little different.
    It may require tearing down the frame to make sure the sear isn't chipped, but that wouldn't explain the interaction with the safety.

Does it only happen when firing, e.g. does the decocker function and safety function work properly and consistently, with dry firing in between?

I'm thinking you're going to wind up having to tear it down and examine all the parts carefully, clean & lube.

Some pics that may help. or maybe not....
    last pic shows the safety lever that lowers the hammer.

methinks it's either a broken/improperly instgalled spring or something in the sear/hammer assembly and jiggling the safety causes the lever arm to loosen up something.

BTW - it's always wise to put fresh recoil springs on an old warhorse.
    also carefully examine the lock block and slide for cracks, especially the lugs on the inside of slide where the recoil spring guides engage.

Attachments

• LH Spring.JPG
      LH Spring.JPG
      57.1 KB · Views: 316
    • RH spring.JPG
      RH spring.JPG
      66.3 KB · Views: 311
    • Trig spring.jpg
      Trig spring.jpg
      49.2 KB · Views: 315
    • Safety lowering lever.JPG
      Safety lowering lever.JPG
      58.4 KB · Views: 322

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the excellent advice, somd_mustangs. It is a late-war Mauser (byf44)... got it from J&G Imports about 3 years ago. I don't soot it much because of its age, but I've taken it out three or so times before and never had a problem with it, so I'm thinking that something broke or bent in the sear assembly. I didn't have time last night to tear it down, but will probably do that this weekend to see if I can home in on the problem. Thanks so much for the reference photos! Will report back when I get it figured out.

Edit... disassembled it this evening and looks like there may be a chip in the sear. Will post a few pictures in a bit.

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    When I pull the trigger a few times (and this must have been what was happening when I manipulated the safety), it wiggles around so that it catches.

This has to be at least part if not all of the problem.

Attachments

• 20170405_192930.jpg
      20170405_192930.jpg
      78.4 KB · Views: 237
    Jul 1, 2012
    Your trigger bar spring isn't actually on the trigger bar. That's probably 99% of the problem.
    It's not pushing the bar up to engage the sear.
    There's a little slot cut in the bottom of the bar that the spring should rest in (see my second pic).

Attachments

• 20170405_192912.jpg
      20170405_192912.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 217
    Jul 1, 2012
    I'm just happy for you that it was a simple fix and not the sear.
    They do chip occasionally, and then it becomes a Double Action Only :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom