• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zakbrooks

Sep 8, 2016
    If I live in Maryland, what are the laws on purchasing an AR in a different state (Delaware) and bringing it back to Maryland? Would it have to be purchased with a 10 round mag? Thanks

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I will make you a deal. Introduce yourself in the Introductions thread, and then come back here. I will answer your question. In fact likely many of us will answer your question. Pages and pages of answers. But only if you do the introduction.... ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will make you a deal. Introduce yourself in the Introductions thread, and then come back here. I will answer your question. In fact likely many of us will answer your question. Pages and pages of answers. But only if you do the introduction.... ;)

...still trying to find it? :cool:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is legal to purchase a Maryland Compliant long gun in any contiguous State from a licensed dealer. (DE shares a border) To be Maryland compliant the rifle must have a Heavy Barrel and have an OAL of at least 29 inches long. The magazine can be over 10 rounds if purchased outside of Maryland.

We have plenty of dealers here in Maryland d that have AR rifles in stock. Have you considered shopping locally first. You may be surprised at what you find.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Thank you Zak for the introduction. Mdeng is 100% correct. However I am going to make a clarification.

You CAN buy a MD compliant AR rifle in DE, or PA, or VA, or WV. However, not everyone who can sell you an AR, actually will.

The laws here are very complicated, and some dealers just say, MEH. And let you go.

So take Mdengs advice. Buy your rifle here, and when you get out of state, buy your "Normal" capacity magazines, and bring them back. You have committed no crime. :)

EDIT: Since you live in Harford county, drive up to Cabelas and get your mags. They have everything you need at pretty decent prices with no tax.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The other challenge is often finding a FFL outside MD who is willing to make the sale. Just because its legal, doesn't mean they have to do it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Thought it did not have to be from a contiguous state, only from one that will send to an ffl in MD in MD compliant format

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    It's also perfectly legal to build one. Obviously state and federal laws concerning barrel length, profile, etc still apply. But it opens up your options substantially.

Zakbrooks

Sep 8, 2016
    Thanks for all the helpful responses guys, the reason I was asking for out of state was because I was looking at a few rifles from Cabela's (the one in Delaware is closest to me) because they have a few sales running right now. And when adding it to my cart as if I would purchase online and have it shipped to that particular Cabela's store, it prompted me to enter my zipcode of residence and what not and it appears to be allowing it to go through. My best bet may be to just call them and clarify before I proceed to purchase anything

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The contiguous part was superseded by FOPA in '86 . Rifles and Shotguns may be purchased from an FFL in any state, providing is legal in both the purchaser's home state, and the state where sale takes place.

But as a practical matter, get farther away from Md, and dealers are less likely to know or care to know the intricacies of Md law, and thus decline to sell anything vaguely EBR-ish.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It is legal to purchase a Maryland Compliant long gun in any contiguous State from a licensed dealer. (DE shares a border) To be Maryland compliant the rifle must have a Heavy Barrel and have an OAL of at least 29 inches long. The magazine can be over 10 rounds if purchased outside of Maryland.

We have plenty of dealers here in Maryland d that have AR rifles in stock. Have you considered shopping locally first. You may be surprised at what you find.

The contiguous part was superseded by FOPA in '86 . Rifles and Shotguns may be purchased from an FFL in any state, providing is legal in both the purchaser's home state, and the state where sale takes place.

But as a practical matter, get farther away from Md, and dealers are less likely to know or care to know the intricacies of Md law, and thus decline to sell anything vaguely EBR-ish.

Mdeng, as an officer in MSI you should get up to date with this.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In Mdeng's defense, it gets confusing because the superseded, unenforceable language remains on Md's books.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Contiguous state requirement was removed with FOPA 86.

Now you can buy a long gun in ANY state, according to Federal law.

GCA 68 required that each state specifically allow contiguous state purchases (IIRC DE did not), and some states allowed such purchases (MD), and some states limited purchases to only contiguous states (MD did not). Slowly, they are changing their state laws.

Bottom line, and MD resident can purchase in any state, but the sale/purchase must be legal in both the state where the transaction occurs, and the state of residence of the purchaser.

So an MD resident can buy a long gun in DE, but the long gun must be legal in MD and DE.

durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    I've purchased a couple of rifles from Cabelas in Delaware. Seems like every time I'm there I hear somebody asking about Maryland compliant AR's. The answer I always hear is that don't have them. I've purchased bolt action rifles from them with no issue.

For an AR, follow the advice on the thread. Save yourself the hassle and purchase from a Maryland dealer. Use the list of industry partners on the site, you won't go wrong. Feel free to pick up some larger mags while you're up there though!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Contiguous state requirement was removed with FOPA 86.

Now you can buy a long gun in ANY state, according to Federal law.

GCA 68 required that each state specifically allow contiguous state purchases (IIRC DE did not), and some states allowed such purchases (MD), and some states limited purchases to only contiguous states (MD did not). Slowly, they are changing their state laws.

Bottom line, and MD resident can purchase in any state, but the sale/purchase must be legal in both the state where the transaction occurs, and the state of residence of the purchaser.

So an MD resident can buy a long gun in DE, but the long gun must be legal in MD and DE.

As previously stated it is still in the Maryland Code and many if not most FFL's refer to the ATF code book.

5-204. Purchasers of rifles and shotguns.
    (a)"Adjacent state" defined In this section,
    "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania,
    Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.
    If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a
    rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent
    state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun
    from a federally licensed gun dealer in the
    adjacent state.
    (c) Resident of adjacent state in this State.
    If a resident of an adjacent state is eligible to
    purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of this
    State, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun
    from a federally licensed gun dealer in this
    State.

See page 226
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58536/download

The code refers to the adjacent states vs contiguous.

If you really think FOPA protects you then you should be just fine driving through D.C. with your unloaded handgun in a locked case. Lets see how that works for you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While I am in no rush to transport thru DC, It has indeed worked in in purchasing beyond contiguous states from FFLs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom