• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    Great folks of MDS, I've been slowly building my first bolt action. Bought a stock once used (fired once, a couple rounds so he told me) Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308.

Timney trigger (installed by previous owner, unknown model)
    Hunter 700
    Badger base
    Seekins rings - 30mm, low .82"
    Vortex PST Viper 4-16 MRAD

Suggestions for brake?

I haven't even shot it yet, ha, but I'm hoping it'll shoot nice (I've heard stock 700's can vary in accuracy) I'm hoping mine will be one of the good ones.

kL9ZBo5.jpg

That scope/barrel gap!
    tatrdqy.jpg

My main concern, there's not much clearance here. I've checked it out, changed the power, all seems fine. Anyone have thoughts on this? I suppose I could have pull the forward ring back one notch to give me more more room, but the eye relief was just right, and I liked having the rings as far apart as possible.
    GHoS8fd.jpg

Ke0jx7l.jpg

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Should be ok with that clearance. I just hope your PST holds up. Mine had parts fall off from 5.56 recoil. I was not impressed. Overall I like the scope but Vortex has their yellow tinged glass that makes me angry. Dont even bother with that shim based zero stop. Otherwise it worked well for me. Nice rifle, I plan to do a 700 one day myself. My only modern bolt gun is my Tikka which is for elk and no fun to shoot a lot of rounds through. I feel a box of 3006 in a 6.2 pound rifle!

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    Should be ok with that clearance. I just hope your PST holds up. Mine had parts fall off from 5.56 recoil. I was not impressed. Overall I like the scope but Vortex has their yellow tinged glass that makes me angry. Dont even bother with that shim based zero stop. Otherwise it worked well for me. Nice rifle, I plan to do a 700 one day myself. My only modern bolt gun is my Tikka which is for elk and no fun to shoot a lot of rounds through. I feel a box of 3006 in a 6.2 pound rifle!

Oh boy. Well, it is in the mid price range, has decent reviews. Also, the factory warranty people say will cover those types of failures.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Oh boy. Well, it is in the mid price range, has decent reviews. Also, the factory warranty people say will cover those types of failures.

Yea the warranty is good. I lent it to a friend for his .243. Im sure it will be fine.

You'll enjoy that rifle. I really want one myself but need an M1 Carbine first!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My personal preference would be to not have the ring over an unsupported part of the base. But that might just be me. Also, if it's new to me, I might take the rings and base off and re-attach them using Loc-tite and an inch-pound torque wrench. Not that the last guy was wrong, but I'd rather know for myself that the screws are right.

Get some ammo and shoot it. Let us know how it goes.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    My personal preference would be to not have the ring over an unsupported part of the base. But that might just be me. Also, if it's new to me, I might take the rings and base off and re-attach them using Loc-tite and an inch-pound torque wrench. Not that the last guy was wrong, but I'd rather know for myself that the screws are right.

Get some ammo and shoot it. Let us know how it goes.

Sorry if that was confusing, I actually did take off the cheap EGW base he had on it. It was twisted. I put the badger on it with blue medium loc-tite and torqued it to 15 inch-lbs (which I thought was kinda low but that's what badger called for on the package).

Crap I didn't think about having the rings over supported parts of the base...is that really an issue? Should I move it before I zero?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    To answer your original question; I went with an Effin-A 7.62 brake on mine. Have not shot it yet to tune it, but the reviews have been pretty good.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a thunderbeast brake on mine....kinda wished I didn't have a brake. 20" with a brake is LOUD. Just my $.02

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Sorry if that was confusing, I actually did take off the cheap EGW base he had on it. It was twisted. I put the badger on it with blue medium loc-tite and torqued it to 15 inch-lbs (which I thought was kinda low but that's what badger called for on the package).

Crap I didn't think about having the rings over supported parts of the base...is that really an issue? Should I move it before I zero?

If it's a Badger it might be fine. I'm just cautious about something that looks like it could possibly flex.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Just use a piece of a chalk and a straight-edge to mark the scope body where you'd need to move the front ring to be directly over the receiver, if you're worried about the base flexing.

I can't comment on building up a 700, as I haven't been that route myself.

But I'd suggest you shoot it a few times before doing anything to it. Maybe you have a shooter, maybe not - the target will tell you.

As for the Viper PST, should be good enough to get you going. I have a Viper HS-T (6-24 MRAD SFP), and that was plenty good enough for me to do my first F-Class event on Sunday. Managed to score a 564/600 with a homebuilt rifle on a bipod, no bags or rests.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just use a piece of a chalk and a straight-edge to mark the scope body where you'd need to move the front ring to be directly over the receiver, if you're worried about the base flexing.

I can't comment on building up a 700, as I haven't been that route myself.

But I'd suggest you shoot it a few times before doing anything to it. Maybe you have a shooter, maybe not - the target will tell you.

As for the Viper PST, should be good enough to get you going. I have a Viper HS-T (6-24 MRAD SFP), and that was plenty good enough for me to do my first F-Class event on Sunday. Managed to score a 564/600 with a homebuilt rifle on a bipod, no bags or rests.

Where did you shoot fclass? 564 is a decent score man.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Where did you shoot fclass? 564 is a decent score man.

Went to New Holland PA, they did a mid-range F-class on Sunday.

Didn't expect to score as well as I did, but I was pleasantly surprised to score what I did. 564 for a n00b with a homebuilt rifle, not too shabby.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Great folks of MDS, I've been slowly building my first bolt action. Bought a stock once used (fired once, a couple rounds so he told me) Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308.

Timney trigger (installed by previous owner, unknown model)
    Hunter 700
    Badger base
    Seekins rings - 30mm, low .82"
    Vortex PST Viper 4-16 MRAD

Suggestions for brake?

I haven't even shot it yet, ha, but I'm hoping it'll shoot nice (I've heard stock 700's can vary in accuracy) I'm hoping mine will be one of the good ones.

I have the 700 SPS AAC-SD.
    I got the Magpul 700 Hunter stock, but still haven't put the two together, yet.

My rifle is really accurate, in the factory stock, while shooting off of an Uncle Bud's "Bulls Bag". (I don't have a bipod on it.)

I shoot my handloads, and I got really lucky.
    The loads I use for my M1A are what I've used, sofar.

If you handload, let me know, and I'll post up what I use.

I have a Viper HS-T (6-24 MRAD SFP), and that was plenty good enough for me to do my first F-Class event on Sunday. Managed to score a 564/600 with a homebuilt rifle on a bipod, no bags or rests.

NICE shootin', Brad!!!!!
    Congrats!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Went to New Holland PA, they did a mid-range F-class on Sunday.

Didn't expect to score as well as I did, but I was pleasantly surprised to score what I did. 564 for a n00b with a homebuilt rifle, not too shabby.

I will have to check out there schedule, I was at Reade Saturday at that was 2.5 hours away. Looks like New Holland is the same distance.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Went out there just to try something new, turned out to be a lot of fun. Scoring a decent # was a bonus.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County

I don't know if I should be worried about it, really. I mean, the Badger rail is steel, compared to the cheap EGW that was on it which is aluminum. The Badger rail is significantly heavier, and feels very solid. But if anyone here is sure it's not a good idea I might go ahead and move it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have no experience with Badger bases, so I couldn't say if flexing is an issue for aluminum or steel. For me, it's just been a force of habit to locate the rings directly over the receiver, when the scope body allows it.

IMHO, for a new rifle - a few range trips with quality ammo is needed before making any changes to it. You may have a great shooter right out of the box, so to speak, so it really benefits you to have a good baseline before making any changes to the rifle.

Caudizle

Jun 6, 2011
    Calvert County
    I have no experience with Badger bases, so I couldn't say if flexing is an issue for aluminum or steel. For me, it's just been a force of habit to locate the rings directly over the receiver, when the scope body allows it.

IMHO, for a new rifle - a few range trips with quality ammo is needed before making any changes to it. You may have a great shooter right out of the box, so to speak, so it really benefits you to have a good baseline before making any changes to the rifle.

Gotcha. I did find a guy on youtube (can't check while at work, otherwise I'd give credit) who has the exact same build. Scope, rings, base, stock, rifle, everything. His video series was about a good budget build that could do 800+ yards. Looking at his, he has the rings in closer. I suppose I'll go ahead and brake them free tonight and reposition before I do any zeroing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mBdOdqUIO0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    To me, your rear ring is located perfectly. Personally I'd move the front ring back 2 to 3 spaces and call it good.

Just try to make a good record of where the scope currently sits, that way you're not dicking around too much trying to get your relief just right after orienting the ring(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom