• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Here's a stab :

A SIG Brace type thingie is arguably *Intended* to facilitate firing from shoulder.

A Buffer Tube is inherently an intrigal part of the firearm necessary for it to function. ( leastwise for actual AR based firearms, AR tubes adapted to other designs where not needed to function, are setting toes upon a slippery slope.

What R&R said about sling tension.

If magically an AR didn't require a buffer and spring, I'd be glad to shorten my AR pistol by that amount.

There is NO way anyone can prove the intent of the builder of that pistol.

Look up the definition of a handgun on the ATF web page. It clearly states that a handgun is intended to be held in one hand.

So I guess Mr. Weaver and all of us have been guilty of breaking the law for many years now.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    There is NO way anyone can prove the intent of the builder of that pistol.

Look up the definition of a handgun on the ATF web page. It clearly states that a handgun is intended to be held in one hand.

So I guess Mr. Weaver and all of us have been guilty of breaking the law for many years now.

Plus, according to the ATF, if you hold a handgun with anything but one hand, you are not shooting that weapon as a handgun.

Well put.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Please read this article. It speaks the truth and explains what has become a very convoluted subject.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/calm-pistol-brace-ruling-hasnt-changed/

It's a short read, but a very well written article.

This same "publication" didn't do us any favors with their review of the Shockwave Blade. Their conclusion for the world and ATF to read is it is a lousy brace but:

"If you’re looking for a sneaky way to get a stock on your pistol, this is the thing to buy."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/calm-pistol-brace-ruling-hasnt-changed/

Shockwave, BTW is being sued for patent infringement by SB Tactical

shubin6

Mar 20, 2012
    AA County
    How about these pistol with a shoulder stock?

ENDO Tactical Glock AR-15 Stock Adapter
    Picture-17-11-tm.jpg

Bul G. Cherokee "Tactical" full-size pistol, with optional shoulder stock and fore-grip
    1287738450.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's good for everything except that pesky MD interpretation. Tough to get a real pistol to also meet that greater than 29 inch SBR thingy. Have MD over rule that and I bet there'd be a bunch of SBR applications to the ATF from the great state of Maryland.

10.3" barrel make MD length.

I don't see the point of an SBR (rifle) with a barrel shorter than that.

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012

In 5.56? Maybe. But any pistol caliber? .300 Backout? 7.62x39? Lots of rounds that do well in barrels in the eight inch range.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I have to disagree. I have a 9mm AR with a 4.5 inch barrel and it's a straight shooter out to 25 yards at least. I also have another 9mmAr with an 8.5 inch barrel and it's shoot s as straight as my 9mm AR Carbine. Both of these I'd love to make into a SBR.

But neither of my pistols will qualify as a SBR if I install a butt stock in Maryland.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why a 4.5" AR pistol?????????????????

Why not just get a real pistol?

THAT is my point.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Why a 4.5" AR pistol?????????????????

Why not just get a real pistol?

THAT is my point.

Why buy anything at all? Because you want to. I have enough 9mm typical handguns, so I wanted to build something different. I would like to build a SBR with the other pistol and I can do it if I pin the muzzle break. But it would be nice to be able to build the 4.5 into a SBR if I wanted.

Either way, they are fun to shoot. Never going to be a serious weapon, but how many of us are prepared to use our toys as a serious weapon anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom