• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Right now, bowhunters in Garrett and Allegheny counties can open carry during bow season to protect themselves in the event of a bear encounter. Would be nice to change this to apply to ALL counties where black bears can be hunted (so, add Frederick and Washington counties). Open carry across the entire state would be better, but baby steps...

I've never looked into the process for revising hunting regulations. Anybody have any 411?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    One can handgun hunt in Frederick County. And this includes for coyotes, 365 days a year, with an inexpensive fur bearers permit in designated hunting areas. Don't see why one can't be hunting coyote and other game at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    One can handgun hunt in Frederick County. And this includes for coyotes, 365 days a year, with an inexpensive fur bearers permit in designated hunting areas. Don't see why one can't be hunting coyote and other game at the same time.

You would think...but under the current regs, in Frederick County it is not legal to carry a handgun while bowhunting...go figure. :sad20:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Why not contact your state Rep. or Senator, and also whoever sponsored the Bill and talk to them about legislation to extend its reach?

The MD General Assembly website can give you a lead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

One of the stipulations regarding open carry of handguns as a defense against black bear is the handgun must have a barrel shorter than 6" rendering it an illegal hunting firearm.

As for counties where this should be allowed, I would rather OP changed the wording from "all counties where bear hunting is permitted" to 'all counties where black bear encounters are possible'. That change would be beneficial to all concerned.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Why not contact your state Rep. or Senator, and also whoever sponsored the Bill and talk to them about legislation to extend its reach?

The MD General Assembly website can give you a lead.
    Sportsman's council in Frederick County might be one place to start. They have a monthly meeting at the Frederick IWLA (MDHunter, don't know if you're in Frederick County), and interface with legislators. They've had some successes in pushing forward changes in the past, iirc, esp given that they represent a number of different outdoor recreational organizations in the county.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    One of the stipulations regarding open carry of handguns as a defense against black bear is the handgun must have a barrel shorter than 6" rendering it an illegal hunting firearm.

As for counties where this should be allowed, I would rather OP changed the wording from "all counties where bear hunting is permitted" to 'all counties where black bear encounters are possible'. That change would be beneficial to all concerned.

Agree with the advice on language.

As per barrel length of a handgun for coyote hunting, I haven't read the regs recently. Is there a length restriction? I know there's a 6-inch minimum for deer (as well as muzzle energy minimum), but didn't realize that this extended to coyote in counties where handgun hunting is permitted. I did look for this info 2-3 years back, possibly when there had been discussion of using pistols that use the 5.7x28 cartridge for fox and maybe coyote.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agree with the advice on language.

As per barrel length of a handgun for coyote hunting, I haven't read the regs recently. Is there a length restriction? I know there's a 6-inch minimum for deer (as well as muzzle energy minimum), but didn't realize that this extended to coyote in counties where handgun hunting is permitted. I did look for this info 2-3 years back, possibly when there had been discussion of using pistols that use the 5.7x28 cartridge for fox and maybe coyote.

On that, I am not sure. Not many people hunt coyotes with handguns, especially large bore handguns capable of killing "other animals".

I'll have to do some reading I guess.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I do not see where in the regs it specifies barrel length for coyotes:

Firearms

Taking coyote, fisher, gray fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, red fox and skunk with firearms is subject to these regulations:

A shotgun may not hold more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
    Rifles and handguns may be used. Full metal-jacketed, incendiary, or tracer bullets may not be used.
    Muzzleloading rifles, shotguns and handguns may be used. To be considered a muzzleloader, a rifle, shotgun or handgun must be loaded from the muzzle, and a revolver must be loaded from the front of the cylinder. Muzzleloaders are considered unloaded if the ignition system is disabled by removal of the cap, primer, battery or primer powder.
    It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in, on or leaning against any vehicle. This includes ammunition in the magazine or a muzzleloader ready to fire.

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

where does it say this? In the regs it says handgun hunting for bear requires a barrel length of more than 6" and 700 ft-lbs of energy.

nevermind, found it:
    Firearms or airguns may not be carried while hunting deer during the Archery Season with the following exception. In Deer Management Region A, persons 21 years old or older may carry a handgun for personal protection against bear while hunting deer during the Archery Season.

The handgun:

May not be used for hunting any game species while the person is archery hunting for deer;
    May not have a barrel length of more than six inches;
    May not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and
    May not be used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    incidentally, the personal protection language says "May not have a barrel length of more than six inches"

while the other language says "a barrel length of 6 inches or more"

for the logically inclined, a barrel length of exactly 6 inches satisfies both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom