• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    OK, I know that this is a LONG shot, but here it goes.

Have been wanting to get a hold of an H&R M4 Survival Rifle for my collection. These were very compact, skeletalized bolt action rifles chambered in .22 hornet developed as survival guns for WWII fighter and bomber crews. They saw service well into the late 1950s and early 1960s. They were originally designed with 14 inch barrels but there have been a number that have been converted or had flash hiders pinned to make them 16 inch to avoid NFA.

I have been chasing one of these for a while. Last year, I found a great one on GB and got in a bidding war for it. The auction ended on the day I was taking a cross pacific flight and I put in what I thought would be a winning bid as I got on the plane... alas, the other guy wanted it more. I am still kicking myself.

So... on the off chance that anyone here might have one they would like to part with (or knows someone who knows someone....), thought I would put out a feeler. Am willing to pay a decent price for one in good condition. Please keep me in mind if you ever cross paths with one of these.

Thanks!
    Dr.M.

Attachments

• C896-01.jpg
      C896-01.jpg
      11.8 KB · Views: 728

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    ATTENTION.... ATTENTION, K-mart shoppers!

The White Whale has surfaced...
    The Unicorn is in the barn...
    My character has Leveled-Up...
    Achievement Unlocked...

:party29:

Thanks to anyone who may have kept an eye open on this one for me. I've been serious about getting one for 5 or 6 years and I just got lucky today when the auction closed. Sorry, no feet in the picture since it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm psyched.

U.S.A.... U.S.A...

Attachments

• pix306399019.jpg
      pix306399019.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 402

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I would love one... but first let me explain to my wife why I paid so much for this one, before I drop a couple of grand on a "disposable" gun :)

Someone makes/made a reproduction of that nifty little thing, if that scratches the itch. No fun to shoot, as you might imagine, but it wasn't built for that.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    ATTENTION.... ATTENTION, K-mart shoppers!

The White Whale has surfaced...
    The Unicorn is in the barn...
    My character has Leveled-Up...
    Achievement Unlocked...

:party29:

Thanks to anyone who may have kept an eye open on this one for me. I've been serious about getting one for 5 or 6 years and I just got lucky today when the auction closed. Sorry, no feet in the picture since it hasn't arrived yet, but I'm psyched.

U.S.A.... U.S.A...

Neat one thing about the MDS community is their willingness to help you find stuff. Every time I post something I want I almost always get someone who has one or can help. I even liberated something from Mawkie's collection recently.

Now the object of my current desire is still an M6 Springfield in .22 hornet/.410.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Man, I've seen Liberators in the wild before, but the only M4 I've ever seen was at the Army Ordnance Museum when it was still in Aberdump, congrats on finding that one! What did the do to the barrel to make it non-NFA? Are you gonna shoot it? (I would!)

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks! Oh, heck yes, I'm going to shoot it! I don't think the barrel is not original to the receiver. I think it was made later in the civilian market it skirt NFA. Sometimes they pinned and welded flash hiders to extend the original barrel, but this one is just a straight up 16.25" barrel.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Have you seen the Israeli Armalite AR-7s that were imported by Briklee Trading?
    The stock is very similar to the M4.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    They were originally sold at $149 or $159. They were original Armalite manufactured and heavily modified by IMI as pilot survival rifles.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...likely-resilience-of-the-ar-7-survival-rifle/

The mods/distinguishing features/accessories include: the telescoping "wire" stock; FAL pistol grip (slides on and off where the original floating stock mounted); rubber cover for the pistol grip making grip cavity a storage place; canvas UZI sling; metal spring clip to hold 2 spare magazines clamped to stock (3 magazines total originally included); Mauser K-98 type hooded front sight; NFA short barrel that has a 3 hole flash hider attached for re-import legality; barrel and receiver both serialized; Hebrew markings; original makers marks ground off badly and painted over black; red plastic bolt safety; cleaning kit and box with instructions.
    Supposedly, there were also some assembled from imported parts kits to new receivers post import. They are asking stupid prices on GB for 1 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom