• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm sure you saw some of the Finn stuff coming up. Know you've been looking for a M28/30 but I think we both know you'll do better searching elsewhere. I know I would. There is one Finn lot in particular that will bring in every Finn collector in a 4 state radius and that by itself will suck all the Finn bargains right out the door.

Ditto for Mausers. A jaw dropping assortment of South American Mausers from a good collection (again, something I'm sure you're particularly interested in if I remember from your previous threads). I think this one might be their best auction for military long arms in quite some time if not ever.

My head almost exploded reviewing that list. I have never seen a better catalog. There are some amazing guns. I marked like 22 that have me drooling.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Wow! There are some incredible firearms there.

Being a.30-06 fanboy, I am drooling.

There are some amazing sniper rifles.

Digging some.303 Enfield too.

I won't be there, but wow!

Someone please commentary.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Yes, I was sitting directly behind the buyer. It is sitting in a Cz50 holster. Yes, it is a High polished blued early Nazi marked gun but I don’t see anything close to $600. I was trying to figure out if I was missing something.

Did you go home with anything? I was sitting on the right/front side of the hall with a bunch of MDS & Gunboards members. Enjoyed it for what it was, saw lots of money being spent and much of it on humped examples. Word was that the collection came from an employee of Sarco. I know most of the SMLEs were sporting new, un-numbered Lithgow nose caps. And the only nice SMLE that wasn't challenged sadly had a sanded buttstock, removing the nice Aussie markings.
    IMHO the best lots were the Norma ammo and many of the holsters. Sadly all but one of the Broomhandle stock were repops.
    I ended up going rogue, bought a commercial Walther Model 4 in excellent condition, a bunch of nice books, Hi Standard .22 mags, a pair of holsters (one of which is a hard to find Japanese holster for FN/Mauser .32 pistols). When I checked out I was surprised at what I spent. But in the end it was all well bought, nothing close to market value.
    Had to leave around 3:30 to make a dinner date back home so I missed the last 75 lots. The only one I wished I had the coin for was the German 98/40. That was easily the best example I've ever laid eyes on. Couldn't be upgraded and completely matching. Sold for $2700 and that was probably a bargain for a museum grade example.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Did you go home with anything? I was sitting on the right/front side of the hall with a bunch of MDS & Gunboards members. Enjoyed it for what it was, saw lots of money being spent and much of it on humped examples. Word was that the collection came from an employee of Sarco. I know most of the SMLEs were sporting new, un-numbered Lithgow nose caps. And the only nice SMLE that wasn't challenged sadly had a sanded buttstock, removing the nice Aussie markings.
    IMHO the best lots were the Norma ammo and many of the holsters. Sadly all but one of the Broomhandle stock were repops.
    I ended up going rogue, bought a commercial Walther Model 4 in excellent condition, a bunch of nice books, Hi Standard .22 mags, a pair of holsters (one of which is a hard to find Japanese holster for FN/Mauser .32 pistols). When I checked out I was surprised at what I spent. But in the end it was all well bought, nothing close to market value.
    Had to leave around 3:30 to make a dinner date back home so I missed the last 75 lots. The only one I wished I had the coin for was the German 98/40. That was easily the best example I've ever laid eyes on. Couldn't be upgraded and completely matching. Sold for $2700 and that was probably a bargain for a museum grade example.

Nope, I didn't even place a bid. I walked in with a list of 22 guns and ended up watching 4 lots after inspecting everything. I was really interested in only two guns - the Cz27 and the Mexican Mauser Model 1924 - and both ended much higher than I was willing to spend.

I was sitting in the middle with my brother and a few guys from Gunboards. My brother picked up the SA marked M38 and 1944 SA Marked M44. The M44 is original matching and I think it's only the 4th one known to exist.

Almost every Mosin was wrecked. Whoever had them before the auction house should be shot. The worst atrocity was the all-original, all-matching, non-Finned Dragoon that had been sanded into oblivion.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nope, I didn't even place a bid. I walked in with a list of 22 guns and ended up watching 4 lots after inspecting everything. I was really interested in only two guns - the Cz27 and the Mexican Mauser Model 1924 - and both ended much higher than I was willing to spend.

I was sitting in the middle with my brother and a few guys from Gunboards. My brother picked up the SA marked M38 and 1944 SA Marked M44. The M44 is original matching and I think it's only the 4th one known to exist.

Almost every Mosin was wrecked. Whoever had them before the auction house should be shot. The worst atrocity was the all-original, all-matching, non-Finned Dragoon that had been sanded into oblivion.

I knew it was bad on the MN front when Zeebill and Airborne Trooper didn't want to touch a single lot. I never even looked at any of them as I wanted the Walther and have an aggressive bid in on a Colt pistol this upcoming weekend. But hearing them talk about them it was obvious that they were better on paper than in the flesh. All the more reason to drive up and see them for yourself. I'll bet some of the phone/absentee bidders will be surprised when the BBT shows up with their goodies.
    You should have been to the Morphy auction I attended 3-4 yrs ago. It had over 1,000 lots and took 16 hrs to complete. I passed on so many lots that were a mess. Some were flat out fakes and the remainder were bid up so, like you, I just took a pass on spending more than I needed to. Drove home empty handed.
    More importantly I came to see how Morphy rolled when I notified the manager of a blatant fake Astra M400 "German issue" pistol the day before. They had the opportunity to verify my facts and make a correction before the auction started. In the end they didn't do a thing and someone screwed himself out of $400-500. Told me all I needed to know about their integrity. And now I see that they bought James Julia Auction, the house in NE that holds very high end collectible firearm auctions. Will they travel the same path with new management? Will say that Morphy has the most attractive gals working for them, for what that's worth. And their stadium seating is comfy convenient.

Jul 1, 2012
    And now I see that they [Morphy] bought James Julia Auction, the house in NE that holds very high end collectible firearm auctions. Will they travel the same path with new management? ...

:shocked4:

That will be interesting. Julia has had some big-time, high-end collections pass through...
    but also sold some crap dressed up in a bow. But I guess that's true of most auction houses.

Since those German contract Astra 400's sell for $2k or more now (whaaat?) the guy was lucky I suppose.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I knew it was bad on the MN front when Zeebill and Airborne Trooper didn't want to touch a single lot. I never even looked at any of them as I wanted the Walther and have an aggressive bid in on a Colt pistol this upcoming weekend. But hearing them talk about them it was obvious that they were better on paper than in the flesh. All the more reason to drive up and see them for yourself. I'll bet some of the phone/absentee bidders will be surprised when the BBT shows up with their goodies.
    You should have been to the Morphy auction I attended 3-4 yrs ago. It had over 1,000 lots and took 16 hrs to complete. I passed on so many lots that were a mess. Some were flat out fakes and the remainder were bid up so, like you, I just took a pass on spending more than I needed to. Drove home empty handed.
    More importantly I came to see how Morphy rolled when I notified the manager of a blatant fake Astra M400 "German issue" pistol the day before. They had the opportunity to verify my facts and make a correction before the auction started. In the end they didn't do a thing and someone screwed himself out of $400-500. Told me all I needed to know about their integrity. And now I see that they bought James Julia Auction, the house in NE that holds very high end collectible firearm auctions. Will they travel the same path with new management? Will say that Morphy has the most attractive gals working for them, for what that's worth. And their stadium seating is comfy convenient.

Zeebill bid on the M38, and Airborne Trooper bid on the M44. I was hanging with Airborne trooper for most of the day. He didn't buy anything other than a bayonet and a painting.

The buyer of the M27rv was a phone bidder and he/she is going to be very, very disappointed after spending $2,700. The bolt was correct but unnumbered (let's hope that it doesn't appear on the market with a "Finn-matched" bolt) and the stock had been brutally sanded (unless you looked really hard, you could not see where the stock disk used to be).

In addition to the M38 and M44, my brother bought a German-captured, Finn-marked 1936 Tula M91/30. The bolt was blued and numbered to match in the small font that the Germans used. It was sitting in a Finn potbelly stock. The interesting story about that gun . . . it was sitting next to another M91/30. Neither bolt matched its respective gun. For whatever reason, the German capture's S/N stuck in my brother's head and when he looked at its neighbor's bolt he thought that the number looked familiar. Went back to the German capture and saw that someone had swapped bolts. We informed one of the employees, who shrugged his shoulders and said, "switch them."

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Zeebill bid on the M38, and Airborne Trooper bid on the M44. I was hanging with Airborne trooper for most of the day. He didn't buy anything other than a bayonet and a painting.

The buyer of the M27rv was a phone bidder and he/she is going to be very, very disappointed after spending $2,700. The bolt was correct but unnumbered (let's hope that it doesn't appear on the market with a "Finn-matched" bolt) and the stock had been brutally sanded (unless you looked really hard, you could not see where the stock disk used to be).

In addition to the M38 and M44, my brother bought a German-captured, Finn-marked 1936 Tula M91/30. The bolt was blued and numbered to match in the small font that the Germans used. It was sitting in a Finn potbelly stock. The interesting story about that gun . . . it was sitting next to another M91/30. Neither bolt matched its respective gun. For whatever reason, the German capture's S/N stuck in my brother's head and when he looked at its neighbor's bolt he thought that the number looked familiar. Went back to the German capture and saw that someone had swapped bolts. We informed one of the employees, who shrugged his shoulders and said, "switch them."

I was the old guy in the Porsche shirt sitting behind Airborne Trooper and Zeebill. Were you the young'in sitting to the right of AT (closest to Typhoid Mary and her husband, what was she thinking coming to a packed venue while that sick)?
    I never miss an opportunity to chat up Zeebill, we always have fun at these things. Like two little old ladies at a sewing circle.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I think I was sitting right behind you. Did you have a black Porsche jacket too. If so, what a small world.

I came back with 2 1922 M2s, 1 Peruvian mauser and a Nambu type 14 with hoster, 2 mags and 26 original rounds. I needed the rounds to compare to my 357 conversions and to update the youtube video.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I think I was sitting right behind you. Did you have a black Porsche jacket too. If so, what a small world.

I came back with 2 1922 M2s, 1 Peruvian mauser and a Nambu type 14 with hoster, 2 mags and 26 original rounds. I needed the rounds to compare to my 357 conversions and to update the youtube video.

That was me! Remember talking to you about the M2 you got. Love 'em!
    The T14, matching? I've gotten some nice T14s there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom