• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Took my newly purchased HK Vp9 to myrtle grove today, cleaning and lubrication was already done prior to outing, and with the first through mag the gun started to choke! Couldn't eject the round, wouldn't lock the slide open, wouldn't even pick up a round several times:mad54::mad54::mad54: I was using two different hundred round lots of American Eagle 115grain. Highly disappointed. I know I need to try heavier grain, but it shouldve worked with 115 Federal no issues IMHO.

Rant over sorry guys, messed up my range day.

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    You may need to run in with hotter loads until the recoil spring and slide are better broken in. I've had a similar issue, as have others. It's not uncommon with higher quality firearms. Don't get deterred. Keep feeding it until it works. Try Hornady or hand load something a bit hotter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Being a very satisfied VP9 owner and running a couple thousand rounds through a couple different VPs in all kinds of weather and mud, etc, I gotta suggest one of two things...bad luck or operator error.

I've had zero issues to be serious. I haven't heard of anyone else having these kinds of issues with the VP9 either. I ain't saying it didn't happen.

I'm with the poster who said try other ammo. Mine has eaten everything I've fed it...cheap or expensive.

Good luck.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The price might not be high, but the R&D at HK makes it of above average quality. And a break-in period is pretty standard. I'm happy to help bring you joy, though.

That gun does not require extra break in time or heavy loads. It is either operator error or there is something wrong with it. Period.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've not had any problems with my H&K VP9 either and I've shot it with all kinds of ammo. My guess is that there is something defective with the firearm. I'd send it to the manufacturer for service.

Cal68

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    That gun does not require extra break in time or heavy loads. It is either operator error or there is something wrong with it. Period.
    ARMatt seems qualified enough to operate a pistol correctly, so it doesn't sound like OE. Would it not be prudent to try other ammo, higher powered ammo before taking it to a gunsmith/HK or assuming the firearm is defective?

And in your experience it may have not needed break-in, but in the time since you replied I found dozens of forums and complaints online from people facing the exact same problem.

Again, if running it with better ammo doesn't work, then obviously more drastic steps are in order. You can argue with me over it all you want, it doesn't serve Matt whatsoever.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Boundless too ?

What the heck is going on this month with well regarded senior members ?

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I had a magnum research baby desert eagle along side it and it ate it like nothing,

I never knew guns had "break in periods"
    I've never had a single firearm that's needed one of those so this is new to me.

I'm gonna take it to where I bought it from and see if he notices anything wrong with it.

P.s
    Thanks for not saying
    "Should've bought a glock" lol

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    All I can say is that I've had zero troubles with my two VP9's... Right out of the box they shoot just as good as some of my other toys that cost 2-3 times what the VP9 does. To have that many troubles - something sounds off...

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    I had a magnum research baby desert eagle along side it and it ate it like nothing,

I never knew guns had "break in periods"
    I've never had a single firearm that's needed one of those so this is new to me.

I'm gonna take it to where I bought it from and see if he notices anything wrong with it.

P.s
    Thanks for not saying
    "Should've bought a glock" lol
    I didn't mean to suggest that all firearms have break in periods. But tight tolerances, and other variances can indeed keep firearms from cycling properly out of the box, they only test them with a couple rounds before shipping them out. Even the same model can vary from batch to batch. It's your pistol, you make the call. I'm just trying to save you some time should the cycling problem be remedied in the easiest possible fashion.

I hope it all works out for you

Ps. I have a gen 1 Baby Eagle. It's an amazing firearm. Never ceases to impress me after all this time.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Not many manufacturers put out a product with a perfect record. OP probably has a lemon. I say send it to HK.
    I got my VP9 about 4 weeks ago and put around 700 rds without a single malfunction.

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    I didn't mean to suggest that all firearms have break in periods. But tight tolerances, and other variances can indeed keep firearms from cycling properly out of the box, they only test them with a couple rounds before shipping them out. Even the same model can vary from batch to batch. It's your pistol, you make the call. I'm just trying to save you some time should the cycling problem be remedied in the easiest possible fashion.

I hope it all works out for you

Ps. I have a gen 1 Baby Eagle. It's an amazing firearm. Never ceases to impress me after all this time.

Ohh I just meant that as a general statement not to you.

I mean hopefully I was just doing something wrong and it wasn't OE would really hate to have to send it back to get checked

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Fed A Eagle is high quality SAAMI spec ammo. Somethings probably wrong with the gun. A VP9 shouldn't need a break in period. Also, in the future just to consider buy a Glock brand Glock for utmost reliability.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Boundless too ?

What the heck is going on this month with well regarded senior members ?

Who else got the hammer. Sorry to tread jack. I haven't been on as much recently.

ETA. I know 2 people with VP9s that haven't have a moments problem. I almost got one.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My VP9 has been problem free for several thousand rounds with anything I feed it.

Boundless will be back on Tuesday, I believe the same for RoadDawg. Blaster got a get out of jail free card since he's currently hosting a pig roast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom