• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98Volvo

Apr 18, 2018
    Hello All. I will be moving to the Mount Airy area of Carroll County from KY at the end of June. My wife will be working in Baltimore and I work in DC. It is along story but we have to do it.

I have been researching Maryland's laws and am looking for confirmation of my conclusions.

I have a Colt 6920 Socom (banned by name), Bushmaster XM-15 lower with BCM upper (banned by name) and a LMT MRP CQBPS. All were purchased before 10/1/13 and I have copies of the receipts. I can bring these with me but need to register them within 90 days, correct?

I also have two M1 Garands and a Remington 11-87P with 2 round extension. These are not banned and do not need to be registered, correct?

I also have numerous handguns. I don't know if they are on the handgun roster or not. I can bring all of them with me but need to register them within 90 days, correct?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome, I have only three words to say.....DON’T DO IT!! Any way to move to Virginia or even Pennsylvania? Living in the Gulag has many of your rights restricted from what you can buy (must be on the MSP approved handgun roster) to restrictions for carry permits (need to justify cause).

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Welcome.

Someone will be by soon to answer those questions. I think I know, but I'm not gonna try.

I hope your stay is short. It's not as bad as N.Y., NJ or Massachusetts.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    If your in DC and she is in Bmore, that's hard to swing for one of you from PA or VA.
    I think your ARs and pistols can be registered, the Colt and Bushy are banned now. But, you owned them before 10/13. I'm probably wrong and right.
    Good luck with your move.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    If your in DC and she is in Bmore, that's hard to swing for one of you from PA or VA...

Anyway one of you could commute on the MARC train and get work done during the commute? I'd do it to stay out of MD. If not ,OP, I'm sorry for your loss. While a MD resident, please help the great people on MDS help right the ship.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Actual Genuine Colt SOCOM is advertised by Colt as " Heavy " , so thereby is not Evil, and doesn't require registering . Your other AR's will . ( Only applies to actual Colt, most other mfg advertise the identical bbl profile as "medium" . No , this isn't logical .)

The Handgun Roster is to Buy, or Offer for sale , does not apply for bringing in with you when you move. They still need registering within 90 days.

Yes it will be tough with one of you commuting to DC , and one to Baltimore. But you do realize you are already setting yourself up with a bitch of a commute from Mt Airy to DC ?

What would provide marital equity of commuting would be Harpers Ferry WV . The ride on the MARC train is essentially equal to Baltimore or DC, and quicker than driving from Mt Airy .

98Volvo

Apr 18, 2018
    The Actual Genuine Colt SOCOM is advertised by Colt as " Heavy " , so thereby is not Evil, and doesn't require registering . Your other AR's will . ( Only applies to actual Colt, most other mfg advertise the identical bbl profile as "medium" . No , this isn't logical .)

The Handgun Roster is to Buy, or Offer for sale , does not apply for bringing in with you when you move. They still need registering within 90 days.

Yes it will be tough with one of you commuting to DC , and one to Baltimore. But you do realize you are already setting yourself up with a bitch of a commute from Mt Airy to DC ?

What would provide marital equity of commuting would be Harpers Ferry WV . The ride on the MARC train is essentially equal to Baltimore or DC, and quicker than driving from Mt Airy .

Thanks for the info. It is an actual Colt LE6920 Socom. So just being advertised as a heavy barrel is good enough? It is my understanding that the barrel on the Socom is not actually a heavy barrel.

I did the drive one day during my normal commuting hours and have been doing a virtual commute every morning and evening with google maps. Believe it or not, its no worse than my commute now.

98Volvo

Apr 18, 2018
    Anyway one of you could commute on the MARC train and get work done during the commute? I'd do it to stay out of MD. If not ,OP, I'm sorry for your loss. While a MD resident, please help the great people on MDS help right the ship.

Honestly, I haven't had time or money to go shoot in about 3 years. I am most concerned about keeping what I have now and not running foul of the law. What is most disappointing to me is MD's concealed carry licensing or lack there of.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If either :

1. Stamped as Heavy or HBAR
    OR
    2. Advertised by Mfg as Heavy or HBAR

Then it is an HBAR , as per MSP Advisory Letter .

This is Maryland , nothing is supposed to make sense .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 130

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Welcome to the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland. You are in for some gun culture shock moving from KY. Doing your research now is a great idea. You will find many of the laws make no sense at all. For instance, AR-15s are banned, but AR-10s aren't. Magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds can't be bought or sold in the state, but there are no restrictions from driving across the state line, buying them, then driving home. You have already found the best single source in the state to help keep you out of trouble.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Welcome. My wife and I just went under contract on a home outside the state. She's going to be making the drive to DC from Charles Town WV. I know it's a hike, but It's worth it. If you do chose to play the MD game, just be careful and use the wisdom on this site.

You have done your homework and we thank you for that- seriously.
    Biggfoot44 answered your questions- most importantly you can prove they were owned before 10/1/2013.
    It was stated previously, but remember you CAN bring any magazine with you when you move. The ones >10rd can't "change hands" inside the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom