• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    I had a dedicated .45 cal lower that accepts Glock magazines laying around so I bought a complete New Frontier upper for it a while back.
    I got the lower put together well, no issues. I slapped the upper on and chambered a dummy round, no problem. Then I try and chamber a live round and the nose of the bullet hits the throat of the barrel jamming the bullet down in it's case.
    The barrel seems to lack any sort of feed ramp or tapering to enhance the feed from mag to barrel. Has anyone else run into this? Im sure to get a smith to look at it cost more than a new barrel ($80) but don't want to run into the same isue.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Probably needs to have the throat reamed out some. Some PCC barrels have the chambers cut short (PSA for example, at least in 9mm). Not as dramatic as your .45 but what it does is cause the bullet to engage the rifling while chambered. No big deal on firing but when trying to eject an unfired round it can actually cause the round to separate with all the powder dumping into the action. I purchased a 9mm throat reamer from Brownells and using a round I wanted to clear easily (1.16 OAL) I reamed it until the round would drop with a clunk into the chamber, then reamed it a little more. Fixed the problem. This would fix yours also but you need to do it for whatever OAL round and bullet profile you plan to use, or you will need a selection to make sure you do it enough.

Hlou650

Oct 10, 2016
    I have an AR 45 with a New Frontier Armory BCG and a Kaw Valley barrel. I had a similar problem and the issue was with the BCG. There was a sharp edge on the face of the bolt at the 8 o’clock position that would leave a deep scratch on the back of every case. I ground away the sharp edge until it functioned 100%.

Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    I did get the issue resolved. As Photoracer said, I had the throat of the barrel reamed to smooth out the feed ramp to more of a cone shape. I sent the barrels to Rudy at Macon Armory. It turned out so well that I had my AR9 barrels done as well even though I didn't have the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom