• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Amended Trust

If I understand correctly they will take your current trust and bring it up to date and I am assuming that at that point you can amend your trustees.

I'm going to investigate further.

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    Question folks, sorry if this has already been answered.

I finally decided I want to get a suppressor due to the recent climate. I have a lawyer set to help with the trust. But, I am getting married in October.

So, I am wondering if I should hold off until then due to legal changes that may be necessary to add the wife into the trust later when her name changes. Versus, just doing it now, get one on order/tax stamp etc and then deal with those necessary changes later.

Thoughts? How much of a pain in the ass is it to change that stuff later?

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Question folks, sorry if this has already been answered.

I finally decided I want to get a suppressor due to the recent climate. I have a lawyer set to help with the trust. But, I am getting married in October.

So, I am wondering if I should hold off until then due to legal changes that may be necessary to add the wife into the trust later when her name changes. Versus, just doing it now, get one on order/tax stamp etc and then deal with those necessary changes later.

Thoughts? How much of a pain in the ass is it to change that stuff later?

Yes, I would hold off on getting married and get the suppressor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What's the thought on these?

From Silencer Shop. One trust per NFA item. $25 each or unlimited for $129. Only downside is you'd potentially have a bunch of trusts to manage. I hear you can add trustees after the fact, so only one set of prints, etc has to be sent in. If you add people after approval, everyone can use the items.
    https://www.silencershop.com/single-shot-trust.html

Another option from National Gun Trusts. This seems identical to the Silencer Shop option, except you can have everything in one trust.
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/

I'm thinking about starting a 300BO SBR project that will eventually get a can, and the National Gun Trusts option looks pretty appealing. Am I missing something? Is this too good to be true?

I am late to the party, but haven’t seen any replies. I am wondering the same thing. My old house sells in about 2 weeks and the week after I am going to head over to my LGS and order a 22 can. First NFA item. What the heck is the process on amending a trust? Specifically for MD.

From what I can see, if you do, ATF isn’t notified. With the one shot trusts you’d just log in to the system for one shot, add trustees, print a new copy of the trust and done. Does MD require trusts to be notarized?

I know ATF requires the whole signature card, photo, blah, blah, blah thing to be done for each trustee when you ADD (or remove, right?) NFA items from a trust. But once an application is approved, you can add and remove PEOPLE from the trust without notifying the ATF, correct?

Getting a modified trust notarized (if required in MD) isn’t a high bar for me. Getting my wife who hates guns to get passport photos and fingerprint cards done is an absolutely NO. She has surprisingly agreed to let me get a can. It makes sense on our 4.5 acres since I do need to pot varmints occasionally and it falls in to the category of being a good neighbor to bother mine less when I do it.

I could I am sure talk her in to running by a notary to add her to the trust so she can legally possess it (even if she would likely never have a need to unless I died). It also allows me to add one or more of my kids once they are old enough (starting in about a decade) and again, just much easier then.

I’d rather have one trust, but I don’t see owning more than a small number of NFA items. I would LOVE to be wrong. But it’s going to be a 22 can only for a long time. I am sure me and everyone else will try to rush and get a can if they ever look like they’ll be banned, but grandfathered, but a 22 can is by far the most utilitarian and most likely to be used and helpful. After that I’ll look at getting a centerfires rifle can that can handle 300WSM. But that’ll likely be a couple of years as I don’t want to penny pinch on that.

Maybe eventually I’d get a .45 cal can and if I am really rolling in it a dedicated .223 can. I don’t see myself going AOW I’d SBS. I might some day build an SBR or two.

Managing 3-5 single item trusts doesn’t seem entirely unworkable.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am late to the party, but haven’t seen any replies. I am wondering the same thing. My old house sells in about 2 weeks and the week after I am going to head over to my LGS and order a 22 can. First NFA item. What the heck is the process on amending a trust? Specifically for MD.

From what I can see, if you do, ATF isn’t notified. With the one shot trusts you’d just log in to the system for one shot, add trustees, print a new copy of the trust and done. Does MD require trusts to be notarized?

I know ATF requires the whole signature card, photo, blah, blah, blah thing to be done for each trustee when you ADD (or remove, right?) NFA items from a trust. But once an application is approved, you can add and remove PEOPLE from the trust without notifying the ATF, correct?

Getting a modified trust notarized (if required in MD) isn’t a high bar for me. Getting my wife who hates guns to get passport photos and fingerprint cards done is an absolutely NO. She has surprisingly agreed to let me get a can. It makes sense on our 4.5 acres since I do need to pot varmints occasionally and it falls in to the category of being a good neighbor to bother mine less when I do it.

I could I am sure talk her in to running by a notary to add her to the trust so she can legally possess it (even if she would likely never have a need to unless I died). It also allows me to add one or more of my kids once they are old enough (starting in about a decade) and again, just much easier then.

I’d rather have one trust, but I don’t see owning more than a small number of NFA items. I would LOVE to be wrong. But it’s going to be a 22 can only for a long time. I am sure me and everyone else will try to rush and get a can if they ever look like they’ll be banned, but grandfathered, but a 22 can is by far the most utilitarian and most likely to be used and helpful. After that I’ll look at getting a centerfires rifle can that can handle 300WSM. But that’ll likely be a couple of years as I don’t want to penny pinch on that.

Maybe eventually I’d get a .45 cal can and if I am really rolling in it a dedicated .223 can. I don’t see myself going AOW I’d SBS. I might some day build an SBR or two.

Managing 3-5 single item trusts doesn’t seem entirely unworkable.

I'll add my 2 cents.

I have an NFA Trust from National trusts, very happy with how easy they are to update. I would say get one trust and have your spouse as successor Trustee, but not a co-trustee. That way you have a back up if something happens to you, however, the successor Trustee need not get pics and prints every time. Then you can pick friends and relatives that actually want to use the NFA item as a co-trustee.

Another thing to note, for an AR platform, you are allowed to have multiple uppers for one receiver. So you could have a 11.5" 5.56 and 10.5" 300 Black SBR (with 29" OAL for Maryland) under one stamp.

seungkoo

Apr 4, 2020
    So I’m not a smart cookie like most of you. I have my first silencer in jail and just waiting. I did everything through United in Rockville (silencershop) with all the efiling. Honestly no clue what I did just followed directions.
    I know I did a single shot trust.

Now I got the bug and want to either purchase a sbr or build my own. PWS would be the way to go for me.

I don’t mind waiting for a form 4. Especially with all that’s going around now.

My question is do I buy one of those single
    Trusts again? Or should I purchase one of those multi trust things? Does my old trust work? All these legal paperwork’s are confusing to me.

Help I’m not a bright!

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    One shot trust on a Form 1

So I’m not a smart cookie like most of you. I have my first silencer in jail and just waiting. I did everything through United in Rockville (silencershop) with all the efiling. Honestly no clue what I did just followed directions.
    I know I did a single shot trust.

Now I got the bug and want to either purchase a sbr or build my own. PWS would be the way to go for me.

I don’t mind waiting for a form 4. Especially with all that’s going around now.

My question is do I buy one of those single
    Trusts again? Or should I purchase one of those multi trust things? Does my old trust work? All these legal paperwork’s are confusing to me.

Help I’m not a bright!

I'm in the same boat as you but already have a current and valid trust I use for all my toys. If things were the way they are now back then I would go the E-Form 1 and then take the lower to a shop and engrave it as required if needed at all and work from a lower of your choice.

I think the e-files are the ones moving fastest for Form 1. Hope that helps.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    The Single Shot Trust is only good for one NFA item. Each silencer needs its own Single Shot.
    The NFA Trust that SilencerShop sells is the one where you can add additional silencers. You would need to buy six tax stamps to save money on the NFA over the Single Shot

seungkoo

Apr 4, 2020
    Thanks guys. I had to rewatch many YouTube videos to make sense of all this. I set up a trust, just have to get it notarized. And start filling out my form 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom