• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I agree with you. Have posted the same thoughts in the other thread on the House bill. Any final bill that should pass is going to be tied to home state issued permits. NR permits will serve no purpose.

Unlike many here I am a realist, not a hopist.
    Geeze.....I was just thinking what if this law cancels out the non-resident permit process. If there is nationwide reciprocity then what would become of out of state residents getting permits. Obviously each state can do whatever they want but I can see an unintended consequence being the removal of out of state permits. Utah would have the most to lose and might still issue permits but those permits might not be worth anything.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Geeze.....I was just thinking what if this law cancels out the non-resident permit process. If there is nationwide reciprocity then what would become of out of state residents getting permits. Obviously each state can do whatever they want but I can see an unintended consequence being the removal of out of state permits. Utah would have the most to lose and might still issue permits but those permits might not be worth anything.

Like others have said, if the states wants to add to their coffers, they will continue the non-resident permits, if for nothing more than the big money brought into the state with very little outlay of personnel or expense.

I hope NH keeps doing it. I gave up my Florida permit when my son moved out of the state.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Like others have said, if the states wants to add to their coffers, they will continue the non-resident permits, if for nothing more than the big money brought into the state with very little outlay of personnel or expense.

I hope NH keeps doing it. I gave up my Florida permit when my son moved out of the state.

Demand for NR permits will dry up once reciprocity passes.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

Right but what if states no longer accept out of state resident permits. I have a feeling this will be a part of the deal. If you frequently travel to or through a state hopefully each one will issue NR permits. What a pain in the ass that will be.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Demand for NR permits will dry up once reciprocity passes.

Not for those who don't live in America. Once this becomes law and people in Maryland realize that the MSP won't just hand over a permit, many will look to circumvent the People's Republic of Maryland.

There are other states that are just as difficult to get a carry permit. If a non-resident permit meets the new law of the land, there will be an increase in non-resident permits.

One man's opinion.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Not for those who don't live in America. Once this becomes law and people in Maryland realize that the MSP won't just hand over a permit, many will look to circumvent the People's Republic of Maryland.

There are other states that are just as difficult to get a carry permit. If a non-resident permit meets the new law of the land, there will be an increase in non-resident permits.

One man's opinion.

With all due respect, the estimated 25-30K Marylanders who have been lingering in the shadows who MIGHT consider trying for a permit would hardly make it worthwhile for these other states.

I'd love to be wrong, but this state is full of sheeple.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    With all due respect, the estimated 25-30K Marylanders who have been lingering in the shadows who MIGHT consider trying for a permit would hardly make it worthwhile for these other states.

I'd love to be wrong, but this state is full of sheeple.

We're not the only state to have shall issue permits.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    States may choose to still issue non resident permits to make it easier for their LEO to verify when you are visiting that state.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Right but what if states no longer accept out of state resident permits. I have a feeling this will be a part of the deal. If you frequently travel to or through a state hopefully each one will issue NR permits. What a pain in the ass that will be.

Under the bill they can't do that. There's no "opt out" clause; if there were then the bill is essentially useless.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    States may choose to still issue non resident permits to make it easier for their LEO to verify when you are visiting that state.

They'll "keep" issuing non-res permits because VT residents still need a permit (although I suspect most of them will just go to NH to get one). If the Senate version passes then those in restrictive states/counties will need one for traveling.
    And last but not least it takes their legislature to remove the statute that allows issuance to non-residents. That takes effort. They won't do it unless there's a specific reason to do so. It doesn't affect them at all if the statute remains but no out of staters apply. ID issues non-res permits, I highly doubt they get many out of state applicants since other states (FL,AZ) have better coverage and you can get the permit by mail as opposed to physically having to go there.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/politics/house-concealed-carry-guns-nra-reciprocity.html

NYT reporting that Dem Senators Heinrich and Udall (along with Mark Warner) came out last week and said they were NO votes for reciprocity. No mention on whether that's reciprocity alone or including the Fix NICS attachment.

If they still are NO votes with FIX NICS then the Senate will have to add sweeteners to the bill (or water it down), or just wait till the 2018 midterms and put them on the record.:sad20:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    The Dems are way more committed and loyal to each other than the Republicans are. They walk pretty lock step together on issues that are laid out as part of their party platform.

I don't see any of them that will break ranks. MAYBE Manchin, but he has no sway on any of the other D's.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The Dems are way more committed and loyal to each other than the Republicans are. They walk pretty lock step together on issues that are laid out as part of their party platform.

I don't see any of them that will break ranks. MAYBE Manchin, but he has no sway on any of the other D's.

Reminds me how the Republicans were with Obama and united against his healthcare scheme. Difference being Democrats will wield the power if they get it, while Republicans become a bunch of pu**ies after winning, then wont repeal a law they pretended wanting to.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/politics/house-concealed-carry-guns-nra-reciprocity.html

NYT reporting that Dem Senators Heinrich and Udall (along with Mark Warner) came out last week and said they were NO votes for reciprocity. No mention on whether that's reciprocity alone or including the Fix NICS attachment.

If they still are NO votes with FIX NICS then the Senate will have to add sweeteners to the bill (or water it down), or just wait till the 2018 midterms and put them on the record.:sad20:

In that case, the Republicans should hold steady and refuse to do anything with NICS. The left needs to learn that "compromise" actually has a meaning.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    "Several Democrats who voted for the 2013 measure, including Senators Martin Heinrich of New Mexico, Mark Warner of Virginia and Tom Udall of New Mexico,"

Which means they never really supported it in the first place, but were just playing politics. The difference is that Virginia and New Mexico are much more Hispanic now (and thus, bluer), and they can be good liberals without worrying about losing.

Also, their reasoning for changing course, because of "mass shootings," is just idiotic, because no one can credibly argue that the mass shooting issue has anything to do with whatsoever with concealed carry.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Manchin actually voted in favor of the tax cuts but the dems bullied him on the senate floor and forced him to change his vote. I wouldn't count on his vote for anything.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Manchin actually voted in favor of the tax cuts but the dems bullied him on the senate floor and forced him to change his vote. I wouldn't count on his vote for anything.

The fact remains, the Democrat Party as a whole is much more rigidly left than it was in the past, mainly because demographic changes brought about by third world immigration have made most of their seats uncompetitive. Going far left was a sure way to lose in the past. It's not anymore.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    "Several Democrats who voted for the 2013 measure, including Senators Martin Heinrich of New Mexico, Mark Warner of Virginia and Tom Udall of New Mexico,"

Which means they never really supported it in the first place, but were just playing politics. The difference is that Virginia and New Mexico are much more Hispanic now (and thus, bluer), and they can be good liberals without worrying about losing.

Also, their reasoning for changing course, because of "mass shootings," is just idiotic, because no one can credibly argue that the mass shooting issue has anything to do with whatsoever with concealed carry.

agree

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Assuming the republicans hold the Senate. History is not on their side on this.

at this point it doesn't even matter. I'm so over the well, if we had the senate, well if we had the senate and oval office, if we blah blah blah

They've had all 3 now and haven't done a damn thing, republicans in congress are spineless and worthless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom