CZ P-10c: a nerve-racking first outing...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Soooo... picked up my CZ P-10c today and headed directly to the range.

I initially just took a few hundred of my reloads simply to do some casual shooting and get a feel for the new gun. After all the hype I was pretty excited to try it out! I did not clean or lube the gun which is my SOP for first shots with modern "plastic fantastics".

I get to the range and on the 3rd round fired I get a weird double feed. I clear the jam, and on the following shot I get another double feed. I run the double feed clearance yet again.
    When the slide closes on the fresh round the gun locks up tight and I can only get the slide to move a tiny bit, just enough to get it out of battery. Out of battery I drop the striker and take the slide off the gun. I have to tap the barrel out of the slide, then get my cleaning rod and tap the round out of the chamber.
    Now, my reloads are 100% out of all my glocks. I shoot 10s of thousands of rounds in competition with no issues at all.
    I perform the drop test out of the P10 chamber and my reloads will not drop free. They absolutely fall out easily from my glock chambers.
    The P10 apparently has a VERY tight chamber.

Needless to say, I am disappointed at this point. So I go home, clean the gun and perform the drop test with a variety of factory ammo and it all falls free no problem. My reloads still stick. To compare I run the drop test out of my G19 barrel and its totally fine. Drops free easily. Confirms that the P10's chamber is rather tight.
    I grab 250 rounds of assorted factory 9mm range ammo and head back to the range.
    The first magazine with factory (WWB) ammo sees 1 failure to feed, and 1 stove pipe.
    Now im thinking "well this gun is either gonna get sold, or go back to CZ".
    So I load up another mag, and it runs fine. Then another mag with Blazer brass and it runs fine, then a mag of Remington and again it runs perfectly.
    After the first mag of factory ammo, the gun runs flawlessly for the rest of the 250rnds of various ammo including: WWB, Blazer, Rem, and Tulammo.

My conclusion is that, my copy of the gun at least, has too tight a chamber to run my reloads, and that it needed a slight break in period.
    Before I trust the gun to carry it, I will run another 3 or 4 hundred through it. My Glocks have NEVER had ANY issues out of the box so a break in makes me a little nervous.

How did it shoot?? It is a very easy shooter but it doesn't shoot any better or worse than my precious Glocks. (I carry a G42, and G19, and compete with a G34, and G35)
    I very much like the ergos of the gun and after 250rnds put down range in 30mins I did not find the aggressive grip texture to be anything but helpful (locks the gun in the hand very nicely with a properly solid grip) unlike some of the seemingly soft handed folks that have recently reviewed the gun.

Accuracy wise it is well dialed in. See the photo of some 5 shot groups with various ammo. (shot at a moderate pace at 10yrds) It is no more or less accurate than my G19, but it does point very naturally and making hits just feels easy.

The trigger is excellent out of box. Breaks like a glass rod at 4.5lbs on my scale. It is far better than a stock gen 4 Glock trigger but my gen 3 G19 with a 3.5 connector in it is pretty close.

I ran several rapid fire mag dumps and the P10 has a muzzle flip quite similar to my G19. If I'm honest I would say that I control the Glock better, but it could just be familiarity. The P10 does have a pretty low sitting bore axis, BUT it is still not quite as low as the Glock.

The sights are a decent 3 dot "glow in the dark" variety. Since I do not like 3 dot sights I will, for now, black out the rear dots until I eventually replace them.

The grip is better than my G19 in that I can get just a tiny bit more of my hand on the grip. My pinky finger just doesnt quite fit on the Glock. The P10 is slightly more comfortable in that respect. This will make reloads faster with the P10 as well.

I tried the P10c in several of my G19 holsters and they fit VERY tightly in some and not at all in others. It fits ok, but tightly in my carry holster.

Im not gonna go into the rest of the guns features as all that can be found in abundance online.

I started the day disappointed in the P10c but ended up enjoying shooting it as the round count climbed. However its gonna take a perfect track record from here on out to counter the hiccups of the first few shots and make me comfortable enough to carry the gun regularly.

Thanks to 2A Sales and Supplies for getting me this hard to find pistol!

Attachments

• 20170531_145916.jpg
      20170531_145916.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 1,903
    Last edited:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Good write up. Sounds promising for those of us who don't reload :D

Yeah it's weird! My reloads run perfectly in my CZ SP01 so its not like it's a "CZ thing". It might be this model or even this copy.
    I know that some guns need a break in period but I'm also not used to that since I've shot glocks almost exclusively for years now.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Great write-up! That is unusual behavior for a CZ. I've been casually monitoring reports from other new P-10 owners on the CZ forums and none have them have mentioned similar initial break-in issues, for what that's worth. If it had been a widespread issue I'm sure I would've read about it somewhere by now. Looks like it shoots pretty good! :thumbsup:

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I wouldn't judge the gun before you clean and lube it either.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I wouldn't judge the gun before you clean and lube it either.

I disagree. The only modern handgun I feel I need to clean and lube out of the box is a 1911. All my glocks ran 100% for hundreds of rounds before their first cleaning.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I disagree. The only modern handgun I feel I need to clean and lube out of the box is a 1911. All my glocks ran 100% for hundreds of rounds before their first cleaning.
    My XD did not run well out of the box (malfunctions). Ran great after clean and lube.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Great write-up! That is unusual behavior for a CZ. I've been casually monitoring reports from other new P-10 owners on the CZ forums and none have them have mentioned similar initial break-in issues, for what that's worth. If it had been a widespread issue I'm sure I would've read about it somewhere by now. Looks like it shoots pretty good! :thumbsup:

Yeah i was very surprised. Especially given CZs reputation and this guns hype as a "Glock killer". I am hopeful that it's now broken in and will live up to its potential. I'll report back after a few hundred more rounds.

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    One thing I noticed is that the feed ramp isn't polished at all on this gun. Do you think that if you polished the feed ramp and lip it might feed your reloads better? Basically make the surface a little more slick.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I'm not clear on what causes Double Feeds? I've read it's a magazine problem, but I still don't understand.

I have a CZ75 and when started shooting it and reloading for it I ran into failure to go fully into battery or a very tight lockup as you had. It was always range brass that I collected along with my own. I read about Glock case bulge and got a Dillon 9mm case gauge and a Lee Bulge buster. Actually I though it was an inadequate crimp, but no amount of crimping would help the cases that got stuck in the Dillon gauge. If they failed the Dillon gauge, the would fail to fully chamber.

That doesn't explain why they chamber in your Glock, unless it has a bigger chamber.

Hickock45's review

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Was your reloaded brass shot in a Glock? Could be that the area close to the base that doesn't get resized is a bit larger than it should be. My range pickup brass shot in a Glock won't normally fit all the way in the case gauge but they fit OK in my Beretta 92 which has a generous chamber.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    1.049 or 1.149? 1.049 is super short. 1.149 is longer than I can load for my Accushadow. I load to 1.115 with Blue Bullets 135s. CZ have short chambers. If you're ok with 1.149 in your CZ SP-01 I'd say your getting really lucky. I'd go shorter. Like 1.120 or shorter.

Glocks can take all the way out to max (1.169). I would run 1.145 in my 34 with room to spare.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    One thing I noticed is that the feed ramp isn't polished at all on this gun. Do you think that if you polished the feed ramp and lip it might feed your reloads better? Basically make the surface a little more slick.

Glock feed ramps are not polished and they work perfectly. I am hoping the kinks are now worked out and it will run 100% from now on.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    1.049 or 1.149? 1.049 is super short. 1.149 is longer than I can load for my Accushadow. I load to 1.115 with Blue Bullets 135s. CZ have short chambers. If you're ok with 1.149 in your CZ SP-01 I'd say your getting really lucky. I'd go shorter. Like 1.120 or shorter.

Glocks can take all the way out to max (1.169). I would run 1.145 in my 34 with room to spare.

Yes sorry its 1.149. So that could be the issue. My SP01 is 100% at that length with about 300rnds through it so far.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Was your reloaded brass shot in a Glock? Could be that the area close to the base that doesn't get resized is a bit larger than it should be. My range pickup brass shot in a Glock won't normally fit all the way in the case gauge but they fit OK in my Beretta 92 which has a generous chamber.

probably 50% of my brass is Glock shot. However I case gauge every round and i'm tossing maybe 1 in 200. I think its my OAL which Jason pointed out above. Apparently CZ chambers are shorter than Glocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom