• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMD354

I want to know if anyone has a pet load for the M1 Garand. I have a friend who shoots in the Axis and Allies matches. These matches are 100 yards off front sand bag. He has open sights. He is looking for a round that will cycle the rifle and not put it in danger. No full tilt as he does not hunt with it. I reload 6 pistol rounds, 32 S&W long to 44 mag. I also load 270 win and 300 win mag. My pet load for the 270 is 54.5 gr of IMR 4350 pushing a sierra 130 gr game king. Can hit a quarter all day long off a bench at 100 yards. Still working on the 300 win mag. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I do IMR4064 and Nosler Custom Comps in 46.5gr for 155gr and 45.5gr for 175gr. I seat the 155gr to 3.18" and the 175gr to 3.3" if I remember correctly.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The easy button for competition is PPU M1 Garand load or Fed AE M1 Garand.

If he's dead set on reloading he needs to do the research as many loads use different powders that are NOT Garand safe (will damage or destroy the rifle).

He can also buy a Garand adjustable gas plug and use whatever he wants after it is tuned properly.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I want to know if anyone has a pet load for the M1 Garand. I have a friend who shoots in the Axis and Allies matches. These matches are 100 yards off front sand bag. He has open sights. He is looking for a round that will cycle the rifle and not put it in danger. No full tilt as he does not hunt with it.

Thanks

Standard poof load is 125 TNT's. Nice accurate, light load cycles the rifle and is easy on the shoulder. 3031 or 4895 seem to be the powders. 46-50 grains depending on what you are looking for.

There seem to be intermittent ignition problems with varget and the really light loads.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I didnt care for the GG plug because it seemed to add a couple clicks to the elevation setting on the one rifle I tried it on but there were other adjustments being made at the same time so maybe it was me. I still don't use it but it could come in handy for shooting up some deer I guess.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Standard poof load is 125 TNT's. Nice accurate, light load cycles the rifle and is easy on the shoulder. 3031 or 4895 seem to be the powders. 46-50 grains depending on what you are looking for.

There seem to be intermittent ignition problems with varget and the really light loads.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

For 100 - 200 yards. Shoots accurately, and light on the shoulder and gun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I followed the 147-155grn Master Po load with IMR4895 and Hornady 3037 fmj bringing it down a tad then working up.
    I ended up with 48.5grn IMR4895 for my pet load which shot best in my 1903a3 but worked just fine in the M1 Garand.

It shoots pretty darn close to same POI @100 yards as the Greek surplus and in my 30-06 rifles, shoots tighter groups too.
    My internet is crappy this morning but I believe this is the correct link:
    http://masterpostemple.bravepages.com/M1load.htm

Hornady 3037 I can usually find for $26/100. Looks like it is on sale at Midway.

My last bullet purchase was either some General Dynamics or IMI bulk 500 bag from Wideners for $89 I think. Was about 6+ months ago.
    Those seem to shoot pretty much same POI as well @ 100 yards and at 18 cents a pill, its a great price.
    https://www.wideners.com/reloading-supplies/bullets/rifle-bullets/308-bullets

(standard disclaimer : Check pressure signs, start low & work your way up etc)

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Powder: IMR 4895
    Weight: 45.3 gr
    Primers: CCI-200
    Bullet: Sierra 168 HPBT
    Bullet: Lapua 167 match
    Brass: LC-69 (demil) or once fired LC-69 from previous firing in same gun.
    OAL: 3.20-3.30
    Rifle: SA NM

-Rock

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    All good data from these guys!

Sometimes there are problems with Bravepages - they don't load or you get a warning.
    If you have problems bringing up Master Po's Temple you can go to the archive.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

Hornady Manual #9 data is posted on "Bearblain". I have no idea who Bearblain is.
    http://www.bearblain.com/Service Rifle Loadings.html

I'm another fan of Master Po because it's all NRA tested data that's been used for decades.
    Just stick to published loads for Garands and keep powders in the 3031 to 4064/Varget range, bullets under 180gr. 4895 is ideal.

Pet load: 48gr IMR4895, 150gr Hornady or Sierra, Mil cases, CCI 34 or Wolf primers.

Last edited:

PMD354

Pet Load

I would like to thank all of the responders. You have given me a lot to think about. The owner of the M1 says that changing or adjusting the gas plug is out. I was going through my manuals and found a few loads calling for IMR4350 which I have on hand. I might load up some for him so he can find out how they print in his Garand.

Thanks

Michael

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I go a little lighter on the powder, but the load works well.

44.0g H4895
    168g Hornady Match BTHP
    WLR Primers
    COL 3.240

PMD354

I have thought over all of the responses and have decided to drop the idea of using IMR 4350. When I did further research I found a lot of negative comments about IMR4350's burn rate being too slow. I purchased a lb of IMR4895 along with a box of 150gr sierra game king HPBT. Master Po's NRA loading for the Garand calls for 48gr of IMR4895 pushing the 150gr bullet. I will start with 46gr. If I have to I will work my way up at .5gr at a time.

Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I knew I could count on the MDS members.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Smart move.

I did not notice your reference 4350 in the OP. 4350 is a NO-NO for Garands and M1As.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom