• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mako21

Jul 24, 2017
    New to this forum. I'm may be moving from NY to MD. I have multiple ARs that have been converted from semiauto to manual loading to comply with NY assault weapon ban. Are my ARs which are Manual Loading (Not Semiauto) legal in MD and do I have to register them. I figured I ask people in this forum who most likely know more than what I will find googling it in the web. Thanks

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Out of the fire, into the frying pan. Welcome, someone will be along shortly to answer your query. Stop by the Introductions section and say a proper hello.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    To my knowledge, the law mentions the firearms by name, not by feature-set or mechanical description. Therefore, they are considered banned by the State of MD unless they are equipped with an HBAR barrel.

Banned firearms can still be grandfathered in provided you purchased them before Oct 1 2013. If you have a receipt, then they are considered grandfathered and they must be registered within 90 days of your official move date.

If you purchased them AFTER 10/1/2013 then they are banned and can not be brought into the state in their current configuration. However, it is completely legal to purchase HBAR uppers, mate them to your lowers, and then they are completely unregulated and do NOT need to be registered when you arrive.

Just never mate the non-HBAR uppers to the lowers within MD state borders are you will be in 100% compliance with the law.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    To my knowledge, the law mentions the firearms by name, not by feature-set or mechanical description. Therefore, they are considered banned by the State of MD unless they are equipped with an HBAR barrel.

Banned firearms can still be grandfathered in provided you purchased them before Oct 1 2013. If you have a receipt, then they are considered grandfathered and they must be registered within 90 days of your official move date.

If you purchased them AFTER 10/1/2013 then they are banned and can not be brought into the state in their current configuration. However, it is completely legal to purchase HBAR uppers, mate them to your lowers, and then they are completely unregulated and do NOT need to be registered when you arrive.

Just never mate the non-HBAR uppers to the lowers within MD state borders are you will be in 100% compliance with the law.

Just to add, only 223/5.56 rifles are banned, pistols and other calibers are ok, nfa rules apply with additional restrictions.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    As mentioned, if you owned them prior to 10-1-13, you may bring them but they must be registered with the MSP within 90 days of moving here

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I actually want to clarify one thing in my prior post. I said "If you have a receipt, then they are considered grandfathered but nowhere in statue does it say you must have a receipt. However, should you ever wind up in court, a receipt would be a tremendously useful thing to have. Your level of risk tolerance will dictate how to proceed.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    I actually want to clarify one thing in my prior post. I said "If you have a receipt, then they are considered grandfathered but nowhere in statue does it say you must have a receipt. However, should you ever wind up in court, a receipt would be a tremendously useful thing to have. Your level of risk tolerance will dictate how to proceed.

BGOS....

The state would have to prove you bought the gun after 10/1. Not the other way around.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I have looked at (some of) the law, and although the AR15 is specifically listed by name, pretty much everywhere else it only says semiautomatic centerfire rifles. So, if the OP's rifles have all been modified to no longer be semiautomatic, would they even fall under Maryland's law as long as they are never converted back to semiauto while in MD?

To the OP, let me be the first in this thread to say when you move either go a little farther or not quite as far. There is pretty much no place in MD that cannot be reached from either PA or VA.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I have looked at (some of) the law, and although the AR15 is specifically listed by name, pretty much everywhere else it only says semiautomatic centerfire rifles. So, if the OP's rifles have all been modified to no longer be semiautomatic, would they even fall under Maryland's law as long as they are never converted back to semiauto while in MD?

To the OP, let me be the first in this thread to say when you move either go a little farther or not quite as far. There is pretty much no place in MD that cannot be reached from either PA or VA.
    This exactly.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's a bad idea to put down roots in MD when liberty is just a short drive to any border. Don't ask me how I know this.

Mako21

Jul 24, 2017
    Thanks so much for all the good info. I thought since my ARs are manual loading and not Semiauto it would not be considered an assault weapon and therefore not be banned or require registration. I will have to really rethink about other options. Thanks again to all

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    OP, you said they are manually loaded? Pump action or bolt? I would say they are not regulated. As complete rifles. Something like a Troy PAR or POF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom