• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    incidentally, the personal protection language says "May not have a barrel length of more than six inches"

while the other language says "a barrel length of 6 inches or more"

for the logically inclined, a barrel length of exactly 6 inches satisfies both.

Knowing the stupidity of the state and there given penchant for not understanding firearms as a whole, I will still interpret that statement to mean that a gun with a barrel length legal for use on big game, may(shall) not be used as a self defense weapon against bear attacks.

Logically thing, why would they differentiate between the two?

We'll have to agree to disagree until clarification can be provided.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Knowing the stupidity of the state and there given penchant for not understanding firearms as a whole, I will still interpret that statement to mean that a gun with a barrel length legal for use on big game, may(shall) not be used as a self defense weapon against bear attacks.

Logically thing, why would they differentiate between the two?

We'll have to agree to disagree until clarification can be provided.

I think its pretty clear. All the DNR people I've run into are pretty familiar with firearms. Every once in a while you can even bump into them at AGC practicing for sharpshooting deer.

I would not overthink it. DNR very carefully words the regulations and very carefully uses phrases like "more than" and know full well the gaps.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think its pretty clear. All the DNR people I've run into are pretty familiar with firearms. Every once in a while you can even bump into them at AGC practicing for sharpshooting deer.

I would not overthink it. DNR very carefully words the regulations and very carefully uses phrases like "more than" and know full well the gaps.

Maybe, but are you reading from the actual regulations or the Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland. The latter is just that, a guide. It is not regulatory in a legal sense.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Maybe, but are you reading from the actual regulations or the Guide to Hunting and Trapping in Maryland. The latter is just that, a guide. It is not regulatory in a legal sense.

The actual regulation says:
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.03.04.05.htm
    (i) Has a barrel length not exceeding 6 inches;

(ii) Does not have a telescopic sight or electronic aiming device attached; and

(iii) Is not used to kill wildlife wounded by a vertical bow or crossbow.

same as what is on the DNR e-regs website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom