• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    How about we ask a different way - given access to every other combat handgun ever made, would the 1911 be your first choice? How many choices are ahead of the 1911?

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    How about we ask a different way - given access to every other combat handgun ever made, would the 1911 be your first choice? How many choices are ahead of the 1911?

Probably some polynine (or .40, or .45) that's soulless and forgettable specifically because it's so flawlessly reliable and easy to use. It could be a Glock, an FNS, an M&P, who knows.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like 1911s, I really do, along with Jeeps, Garands, and a whole host of stuff we have won wars with, but there is a reason they have essentially been replaced. Manufacturing complexity, cost, maintenence, reliability, capacity, weight, and so on. They still can kill people, along with mid-size blowback 380s and revolvers, although with modern designs those also have enough drawbacks, you could argue they are obsolete also.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Very glad I own a gen-u-ine Colt 1911, and I've enjoyed shooting it. Unique, compared to the many other pistols I use. But I'm also very glad to have smaller, easier-to-conceal/carry contemporary pistols. My 1911 has never misbehaved once, unless you count being big and heavy as forms of misbehavior. I'm a big guy, with big hands, and feel like I can hardly miss using that Colt ... but it's not something I'd carry these days. I don't think "obsolete" is necessarily the right word, but maybe "old school?" Seeing a senior LEO with a Kimber on his hip is actually quite cool - he's wearing it (as my wife the jeweler would say) as a "statement piece." Because he doesn't have to conceal it. And concealment is - for guns that aren't just range queens or worn by that small demographic who carry openly - pretty much where the entire market and its innovation is oriented right now, and understandably so.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not a cop, I'm not getting into firefights, I CCW a 2" 38 revolver. At 9 feet, I can put a bullet in two heads before most of you can get your pistol out of your fancy appendix carry holsters. If given a choice going to "battle" I pick up a long gun. Inside 100 yards, I'll take a semiautomatic carbine. Outside 100 yards, I'm leaving the area. With all that said, I'm more accurate with the 1911 platform than any of the poly Wondernines.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Obsolete?

Then you’ll just be more embarrassed when you get shot by one.

Also Citizens of Tomorrowland......

Beware the man that carries only a revolver for he probably knows how to shoot.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    6C97D021-7055-41E8-95F1-83841DB24EEC.jpg

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Truly, weight and capacity are really the only reasons worth mentioning.

In any role, it's always beneficial to be able to have as much, if not more ammo than the other guy in a fight. Modern double-stacks let you do this with less extra baggage to worry about

In a combat role, a weapon that weighs less means you can carry that much more ammo which goes back to point number 1.

Hence the current LSAT weapons trials to replace the M249. The demand is for a 12lb LMG firing ammo that is at least 20% lighter than the current loadout meaning soldiers can move faster while carrying more firepower.

That said, given that I'm less likely than a soldier or police officer to have to use a weapon in a firefight, I'm a fan on the 1911 in its classic form vs modern pistols. I simply shoot better with them than I do with modern arms.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    For military and police, yes, the 1911 is obsolete. There's much better choices for them.

For the rest of us, 7 or 8 rounds of .45 can still solve a lot of problems.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A G21 with a loaded 13 round magazine is lighter than a 1911 with a loaded 7 round magazine.
    I don’t dislike 1911’s but I dislike low capacity magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom