• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DENWA

May 5, 2008
    have a 300WM with a tight chamber and need to cut some necks.

Anyone have any experience with an outside neck reamer?

Just trying to research before I buy something.

thanks

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I have a Forster outside neck turner. I used to use it for .300 Whisper brass, but have since converted over to 300 Blackout, and don’t use it anymore. It takes about 30 seconds to trim a neck. No big deal.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Thickness. I fired new brass but now after size, trim to length, they will not fit chamber.

Everything measures in spec per drawings but chamber was cut to SAAMI minimum.

My guess is brass flow because 300WM is spaced on the belt.

just asking what tools you all are using and or like.

reloading 30 years for factory rifles with no issues.

Buy a custom rifle, now have to learn some new tricks.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If you are having the issue with once fired brass from this gun, I would have my smith open up the chamber neck with a reamer.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I used the Forster before I bought my mini lathe. The forster works great. Forster also makes excellent neck reamers. Will a bullet easily fit into the mouth of a fired case? If so, you may not need to ream or turn.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Sounds like you need an outside neck turning tool (not a reamer or trim tool). I have used this type of tool for multiple cartridges including 22BR (two), 22-250 Ackley, 6PPC, 6BR, 30BR and 6.5x55Swedish, all chambers cut with "tight necks". If your chamber is SAAMI minimum, you likely only need a light "clean-up" turning. What questions do you have?

You probably know not to try to shoot those tight rounds.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I use a Sinclair Phase II turner. It has worked well for many years.

BmmTS8q.jpg

If you begin to turn necks, in order to seat bullets properly, you will likely require a sizing die that will hold neck sizing bushings of differing diameters. If you don't already have this, it can get expensive with the cost of the die, and each bushing costing ~$20+. Neck bushings come in .001" size increments, and it might take a few tries to get the right size for your resized necks. The good(?) news is that adjusting/attenuating neck tension can improve precision.

Or, as dist1646 suggests, permanently solve the issue with a recut chamber neck.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    If you go with one of the "manual" type turners, you will also need a shellholder that can be chucked up in a drill (not shown above), or turned by hand. Also, use lots of good lubricating oil on the mandrel when turning.

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    Thanks.

I just didn't want to buy an outside neck tool that I hate using and didn't want to spend $200 on one either.

The rifle shoots amazing and since I had the barrel Ferritic-Carbo-nitrided reaming the neck would just destroy the reamer.

$140 to make a barrel last nearly forever...hopefully.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I have the 21st Century mini lathe. It's expensive, but worth it if you're turning a lot of necks. I have a very tight match chamber on my 300 BLK barrel and it's VERY picky with brass (even the LC brass which should be fine) if I don't turn.

Probably over kill for anything less than a couple of hundred pieces though.

Regardless of the turner you get, Redding imperial sizing wax is a great lubricant for the mandrel. Not too messy, a little goes a long way.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    You may be able to find another brand of brass that has significantly thinner necks?

That coating adds .0002" to .001" layer, therefore .0004" to .002" less neck diameter than bare metal.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Keep an eye out for pressure signs, I'm sure the coating has some effect depending on how thick it is. Neck turning tools used to be available from Sinclair International, I think they were bought out by Brownells but not sure. Since it is a .300 win mag, I don't envision you doing a large number of cases.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Pma makes a nice neck turning tool. I prefer it to 21st century which is also a good tool

I like that PMA tool. Had never heard of them. I have a 21st century that I run on my mini lathe and it does an awesome job. Had a bunch of 17 fireball made from 5.56 and the necks were .017". Turned them down pretty quick

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    DENWA
    Just a couple of thoughts . . .

Are you sure that neck thickness is the issue, the reason the brass will not chamber?
    Did you use magic marker on the cases to see where the binding was occurring?
    Are you using a small base resizing die?
    Did you thoroughly clean the inside of the case necks?

DENWA

May 5, 2008
    You may be able to find another brand of brass that has significantly thinner necks?

That coating adds .0002" to .001" layer, therefore .0004" to .002" less neck diameter than bare metal.

Yep. these are Federal nickle brass. Just measured and they are a bit thick!

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I use a Sinclair but there are many good options. Spend money on the nicer tools and you will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom