• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Wow! Since Sierra Bullets was sold to Clarus Corporation, the price has gone up quite a bit. I used to compare Sierra's on sale with Nosler's at SPS and pick the best buy. Now I may be considering Speer and Hornady for target bullets.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I agree with both of you.
    Sierra has been my go to brand since the 1970s. Not just for target bullets, but their hunting bullets always proved the potential of any rifle I've owned. Perhaps other brands have better terminal performance, but on white tails and varmints I've never found them lacking. I've used almost every brand for one thing or another. For instance, I love 150 Partitions in 300 Savage or Norma 232 Vulcans in 9.3, but Sierra was always what I compared to for accuracy. Inexpensive and accurate. Now they're priced way above Speer and Hornady.

What I am exclaiming about the price is that it wasn't an incremental creep that was industry wide, perhaps tied to cost of metals, it was an overnight markup.
    Still love them, but will be buying Speer for punching paper with my Milsurp shooters now. K43 and various 98s don't shoot accurately enough to warrant the new Sierra prices.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    I’ve switched to a lot of Hornady bullets because of Sierra’s lack of availability and price when available. Some, like their .30 cal 168 gr HPBT are just as good as a Match King. Others are not so good. I guess the trial and error is part of the fun. :innocent0

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I’ve switched to a lot of Hornady bullets because of Sierra’s lack of availability and price when available. Some, like their .30 cal 168 gr HPBT are just as good as a Match King. Others are not so good. I guess the trial and error is part of the fun. :innocent0

I've actually done the same, example I used to shoot 77gr smks (223 of course) for midrange stuff but switched to 75gr hornady as they are way cheaper. Literally just remembered I have a huge stash of those to load up soon lol

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Like K said, I started with Sierras in 1974 and killed a number of deer with them and never an issue. They are super accurate. In fact, I've had 2 243 rifles that shot 1 hole groups with the 85 gr HPBT. They have anchored every one of the more than 400 groundhogs taken with them and also work great on deer. 2 years ago I tried some Hornady 75 Vmax in my 243AI and they shot pretty well but couldn't get close to the Sierra 85 gr. Would love to see Sierra make 9.3 bullets, especially one for deer at about 200-220 gr. Waiting on a 9.3 barrel for my Savage 110. Sad to hear Sierra sold out to a Co that jacked up the price. I hope quality doesn't go away.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Like K said, I started with Sierras in 1974 and killed a number of deer with them and never an issue. They are super accurate. In fact, I've had 2 243 rifles that shot 1 hole groups with the 85 gr HPBT. They have anchored every one of the more than 400 groundhogs taken with them and also work great on deer. 2 years ago I tried some Hornady 75 Vmax in my 243AI and they shot pretty well but couldn't get close to the Sierra 85 gr. Would love to see Sierra make 9.3 bullets, especially one for deer at about 200-220 gr. Waiting on a 9.3 barrel for my Savage 110. Sad to hear Sierra sold out to a Co that jacked up the price. I hope quality doesn't go away.

I can say that the bullet tips more recently have been more closed so less or no pointing needed. I noticed this mid last year as I ran out of old stock.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    ...Would love to see Sierra make 9.3 bullets, especially one for deer at about 200-220 gr. ....

Back in November I called and the tech told me no 9.3 plans. I really wish they would.
    He also said no plans to do any testing of the Enduron powders with 300 Savage and most of what he called "obsolete" rounds. Oh well, they only have so many resources and can't do everything, what with the new invention of theirs - plastic tipped bullets!
    Sarcasm aside, I do love my Sierras. Best old school C&Cs that generally outshoot the competition.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Back in November I called and the tech told me no 9.3 plans. I really wish they would.
    He also said no plans to do any testing of the Enduron powders with 300 Savage and most of what he called "obsolete" rounds. Oh well, they only have so many resources and can't do everything, what with the new invention of theirs - plastic tipped bullets!
    Sarcasm aside, I do love my Sierras. Best old school C&Cs that generally outshoot the competition.

Sad to hear this. Past Sierra manuals have covered more cartridges than the others and I always make a point to have theirs on my shelf. I talked to them last year and was told they were working on a new manual and it was supposed to come out the first of this year but haven't seen it yet. I use Quickload for the newer powders if I don't have data available. Western powders just came out with an excellent manual. I'd love a 17 cal Bullet too but that wont happen

K, I just ordered another box of 85 gr. I hope they have the old hollow points. Sometimes, change isn't welcome.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Sad to hear this. Past Sierra manuals have covered more cartridges than the others and I always make a point to have theirs on my shelf. I talked to them last year and was told they were working on a new manual and it was supposed to come out the first of this year but haven't seen it yet. I use Quickload for the newer powders if I don't have data available. Western powders just came out with an excellent manual. I'd love a 17 cal Bullet too but that wont happen

K, I just ordered another box of 85 gr. I hope they have the old hollow points. Sometimes, change isn't welcome.

The Western manual has good listings for cast boolits. It's been a while since Sierra did an update. I look forward to getting their next one. Hopefully it is worth the wait.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I would surmise Sierra is waiting for the full line of new bullets to be ready for publication before they come out with another book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom