• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    One thing that interesting about this case is that the purported reasoning (FFLs difficulty in complying with out-of-state state laws) contrasts very sharply with the courts decision in Wayfair (http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/south-dakota-v-wayfair-inc/). The court essentially said in Wayfair that with modern software there was no problem for out-of-state retailers complying with sales tax. There are far more sales tax permutations than state prohibitors, which should be reported to NICS anyway. Wayfair may come back to bite the govt here.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    One thing that interesting about this case is that the purported reasoning (FFLs difficulty in complying with out-of-state state laws) contrasts very sharply with the courts decision in Wayfair (http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/south-dakota-v-wayfair-inc/). The court essentially said in Wayfair that with modern software there was no problem for out-of-state retailers complying with sales tax. There are far more sales tax permutations than state prohibitors, which should be reported to NICS anyway. Wayfair may come back to bite the govt here.

Using that logic for commercial sales, the FBI is the central point for NICS, it should be easy to implement.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    IANAL and I admit I don’t understand this whole thing about levels of scrutiny, etc. I do understand that when it comes to the 2nd amendment, this it is a constitutionally protected right, enumerated in the Bill of Rights and it does seem to me it should be respected as such any time any issue is raised about it. I don’t get it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Summary of government argument: Petitioners should have sued DC. Its the Districts regulations that are the problem. There is no circuit split on this issue and its a poor vehicle for other questions.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The gov is putting a lot of stock in the law being "longstanding" even though it only predates the DC gun ban by 8 years. Not to mention there's a NICS system today.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The gov is putting a lot of stock in the law being "longstanding" even though it only predates the DC gun ban by 8 years. Not to mention there's a NICS system today.

And the Supreme Court's recent ruling about the responsibility to collect sales tax because the internet makes it easy to determine the amount due.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    As much as I really hate to say it, I am not optimistic on this one (Mance). It's a federal statute that are asking the Court to strike down. One that has been on the books since 1968. That's just hard, no matter how irrational the statute.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Shame the AG is a gun grabber. This is one of those cases where I had foolishly hoped the Trump admin pulled an Obama Defense of Marriage Act and just refused to defend.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    As much as I really hate to say it, I am not optimistic on this one (Mance). It's a federal statute that are asking the Court to strike down. One that has been on the books since 1968. That's just hard, no matter how irrational the statute.

It’s a shame that irrational and in some cases unconstitutional laws are allowed to stand. Then too, the idea that judges are political animals seems contrary to the concept of blind justice

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It will be very interesting to see if the court will take this case or the NY Case or both and i think that come monday we will find out that this case is going to be listed again for conference next week. I really do not think they will decide to grant cert or not by the end of the day..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom