• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm with Melnic on this. Hate away but we always manage to have a nice time as a family in OC.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    They only problems are when the crowds are "organized" like last weekend. Bike week is more crowded with next to no issues.

This is part of the problem. That was not an "organized" event. When you use terms like that you put it in the same category as bike week and cruisin weekend.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I mean ticketing a hotrod for not having a hood on the car.
    We call that a 'clue'. Upper management doesn't want you anywhere near there.
    Towns have a right to restrict - no alcohol, don't pee outside, noise, etc.
    I think OC is dumpy in spots, but it has its merit.
    I think a right to enforce legitimate infractions, like burnouts, could be good for all.
    You get TOWED if you do a burnout, for example.

I'd set up a 'burnout zone', charge $10, and let everyone watch.
    MONETIZE this energy.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I got married there at Mackys on a weekend that I didnt know at the time almost coincides with Cruisin every year. Since then the wife and I both go to every event(stopped going to the october events last year) and both drive modern V8s(SS sedan and a 1LE camaro). We are respectful and MOSTLY law abiding.

That being said last may when they first introduced the "special event zone" I was paranoid any time I was driving about that 30mph, especially north of 120th or between say 60th and 33rd where there was almost no one there. It left me feeling unwanted in a town I grew to love.

At this point the wife and I tend to NOT stay in OC or at least on the ocean side and limit our incursions into the city during cruisin.

I admin on the unofficial Cruisin facebook page and NONE of this stuff is tolerated. We actually work with the organizers of the official event to help promote it and promote the core themes of the event, not the side show it has become.

I will continue to go to OC if permitted and if I feel welcome. I attempt to spend my hard earned money and leave to go there, but they need to see that money and time can be spent in other areas. A perfect example of that is the normally sold out WELL in advance of the show official entrants tickets were left unsold this past may as a lot of the older cruisers decided it wasnt worth the tickets.

And to clarify that, in 2018 the police were writing DOT violations to cars ENTERED into the show as they waited in line to do the parade down the boardwalk. Not moving violations, I mean ticketing a hotrod for not having a hood on the car.

sorry for the rant

I totally understand your comments here. We don't find it worth the aggravation to deal with unreasonable cops. The vast majority of tickets are ridiculous. Even heading down. We got pulled over for no front tag on a 70 Chevelle.

Many of these guys drive around the Frederick area and all they get from cops is a thumbs up.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I get what you guys are saying but people are getting pulled over for legitimate reasons. Drive that same Chevelle without a tag a week or month earlier, you won't get pulled over. It's zero tolerance at these events. Plan for it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I get what you guys are saying but people are getting pulled over for legitimate reasons. Drive that same Chevelle without a tag a week or month earlier, you won't get pulled over. It's zero tolerance at these events. Plan for it.

One would argue that if you're policing these events you should plan for it. Knowing what's a legitimate issue and what isn't is part of the job. Most tickets have NOTHING to do with safety and everything to do with forced revenue.

Not one car guy I know tolerates DUIs, wreckless driving, speeding, etc. Nitpicking minor things during events is out of line and a great way to lose city revenue when the event decides to leave.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    One would argue that if you're policing these events you should plan for it. Knowing what's a legitimate issue and what isn't is part of the job. Most tickets have NOTHING to do with safety and everything to do with forced revenue.

Not one car guy I know tolerates DUIs, wreckless driving, speeding, etc. Nitpicking minor things during events is out of line and a great way to lose city revenue when the event decides to leave.

We can agree to disagree on this. Breaking a law is breaking the law. I've been going to bike week for like 16 years. I behave differently on that weekend. They gave everyone fair warning.

Bike week will never leave and that's the real money maker.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Certainly. We can agree to disagree but It's easy to just say you broke the law. That's a poor excuse.

It's a resort town and resort things go on. They let plenty of things just go.

Wait until they put bike week in the crosshairs. People will stop attending that week and we'll have a thread about it. I'll side with the cops as I don't care about motorcycles.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    We can agree to disagree on this. Breaking a law is breaking the law. I've been going to bike week for like 16 years. I behave differently on that weekend. They gave everyone fair warning.

Bike week will never leave and that's the real money maker.

Are you saying that your normal behavior is illegal, or that there are laws in place during bike week that aren't during other times?

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Are you saying that your normal behavior is illegal, or that there are laws in place during bike week that aren't during other times?

Pretty much. I raced my bike all the time.

They announced zero tolerance well in advance of these events.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Certainly. We can agree to disagree but It's easy to just say you broke the law. That's a poor excuse.

It's a resort town and resort things go on. They let plenty of things just go.

Wait until they put bike week in the crosshairs. People will stop attending that week and we'll have a thread about it. I'll side with the cops as I don't care about motorcycles.

I know you dont like motorcycles but I haven't personally witnessed mobs of bikefest attendee's dressed in banana costumes hurling trash at people while they stand in the road. lol

OC Bikefest is unique though, its not just in Ocean City it's just a lot of people stay in OC. It's really "Delmarva Bike Week" and I think it was 2010 OC decided to make it official event in the city too. Events go on all around Delmarva from about Wednesday to Sunday.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't see how anyone could compare any of the "OC xxx weeks" to this. OC bike week, I can hear the bikes all the way from Ocean PInes, but only when I"m outside. does not bother me.
    I'm sure if you are visiting, and you are not into bikes or do not expect it, then it can be annoying but you'll then learn to check the calendars.
    I don't have a classic car but I do like it when I drive around to eat or to the tackle shop seeing the classic cars. the H2O (ok, call it Ricer weekend) flash mob has go to get cracked down on.
    I"m sure if they keep the police in large groups, they can squash them next year.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Work in OC. The asshats:asshat: are pure trash. When you stop your POS on Coastal Hwy to take pictures of it YOUR AN A$$HOLE! Some H2Oi asshat:asshat: took out the street light on 72nd St ocean side. Then threw it in the ocean. This is NOT a car show, it's a large group of worthless trash trying to take over a town. Then crying when they are told no!

The only way to stop them is not renting to them. One HOA told the owners that. Guess what, no problems on Sun Set Island this year.

Now, watching the A$$Hats:asshat: spin the A7 on its roof like a bottle was fun:D

Robertjeter

May 11, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    OC is cool when you're young and dumb, but as an adult I see no reason to go there instead of bethany or rehoboth....especially if you're bringing your kids. It does't have to be a special event, OC is chok full o trash on most summer days.

Living on the shore, I can count on one hand the number of times we go to OC in the summer. Just absolutely nuts, and zero common sense. Feel bad for the folks living there on weekends like H2Oi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    The only businesses making money are the liquor stores and fast food joints.

Don’t forget the condo owners and hotels. And the Town of OC. The hotel/rental tax is a boon for them late in September.

I own a condo there. Only rent July and August. We would go down in the fall and spring weekends. Was always a blessing when Ravens had a home game on the H2O weekend.

Cruising or MC weekend are never as bad. Loud, but not bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Don’t forget the condo owners and hotels. And the Town of OC. The hotel/rental tax is a boon for them late in September.

This is exactly why spring and fall cruisin are allowed to continue. It draws in massive crowds on what would otherwise be slow off season weekends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom