• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I was looking at colt diamondbacks on GI and many were NIB with big prices, probably never to be shot. I was thinking too bad that every hand gun released by a factory has not been fired multiple times so that it no longer has NIB status and collectors would stop buying them to put away in a safe ( colt even warns buyers in its SAA materials they pack with their guns that shooting will diminish their value). Hand guns ought to be shot, and circulated to other shooters when the owner wants to sell. But shooting a new, collectible, is like tearing up money.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I purchase firearms to shoot them. I have had a collectable or 2 over the years though.
    If it wasn't for those damn boating accidents.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I was looking at colt diamondbacks on GI and many were NIB with big prices, probably never to be shot. I was thinking too bad that every hand gun released by a factory has not been fired multiple times so that it no longer has NIB status and collectors would stop buying them to put away in a safe ( colt even warns buyers in its SAA materials they pack with their guns that shooting will diminish their value). Hand guns ought to be shot, and circulated to other shooters when the owner wants to sell. But shooting a new, collectible, is like tearing up money.

A lot of NIB goes are simply very well cleaned and possibly in an original box or a counterfeit. It can be very difficult to tell them apart but a knowledgeable buyer can tell the differences...and something even then an expert can be fooled. The counterfeiters have gotten pretty good...if there's an easy profit to be made someone will try.

There's a well known counterfeiter in Sparta, TN that sells on Gunbroker and eBay...possible elsewhere. He's been reported many times but it seems to do little good.

BTW...on most Colt revolvers...if you see one that has no burn rings on the face of the cylinder it's been cleaned after-the-fact. Colt would usually not completely clean or clean the burn marks off at all once they were test fired. Sometimes there will be only three burn rings as they would only load every other chamber but sometimes you see more. Many who try and pass off a fired revolver as NIB will scrub the piece as you would like to see...but they don't realize they didn't leave the factory that way.

Jul 1, 2012
    There's a well known counterfeiter in Sparta, TN that sells on Gunbroker and eBay...possible elsewhere. He's been reported many times but it seems to do little good.

Isn't it amazing how he finds so many New Old Stock turn-of-the-century Colt boxes in storage somewhere :)

I actually have an original 1902 Military box and comparing the two is night and day. People still buy those boxes though for hundreds of $$ though.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I shoot almost everything I buy, including the ones that are uncommon or rare. I've been lucky with unfired or ANIB purchases, but I go in knowing that the story may have stretched by the seller. A well maintained but fired collectible will certainly have diminished value, but I'm willing to take the hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom