Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Optics

Notices

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM #1

Anybody have Vortex Eagle Strike Scope?

I'm about to purchase a scope of one of my ARs and I'm looking at the Vortex Eagle Strike 1x6 scope. If you have one chime in. How do you like it? Thanks Chris
Senior Hunter Safety Instructor State of Maryland
NRA Range Safety Officer

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 09:20 PM #2

I have the 1-6 on my "precision" AR. No complaints. Held zero through a few hundred rounds. Easy to adjust, glass is clear. Biggest selling point for me was the lifetime warranty, my understanding is I can run it over with a car and get a replacement.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 11:12 PM #3

Chris, I have a Strike Eagle 1x6 mounted on a Colt AR. I'm satisfied with the scope overall, and I think it's a pretty solid value for the money.

Just by way of mention, I'll throw this thought out there. The biggest challenge I had with this scope initially really had nothing to do with the scope per se. Mechanics and clarity were both acceptable. Rather, it had to do with me getting used to a reticle design that's vastly different than what I'm primarily used to using. The Strike Eagle reticle is designed to be a quick acquisition reticle for sizable targets, say for 3 gun as an example. It does that well, and it allows you to get on target quickly on 1x with both eyes open, if that's your desire. That was exactly what I wanted this scope and reticle to be able to deliver on the 1x setting. Both eyes open is my preferred method of shooting anyway. Set up properly, the reticle works quite well for that purpose. It also seems to me to be pretty close to a true 1x on the low end, and I had wondered about that. And it performs adequately as well on 6x for more precise shooting, which was also something I hoped this scope would be able to deliver.

But seeing that reticle initially? THAT...for me...was another matter. It's the ONLY scope I own with a reticle configuration of that sort. It took me back a little initially, and it was/can be a bit of a mind's eye adjustment, if what you're used to using (as I am) is the more traditional crosshair or mil-dot type reticle configuration for precision type shooting.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:13 AM #4

Vortex Strike Eagle

Just like the gents mentioned, it is an excellent scope for the money and you cannot beat the no "BS" lifetime warranty. My only gripe is clarity is not the best on that outer edges as it is a bit soft however, some flaws should be expected at this price point. The illumination at max level (11) is barely noticeable if it is sunny out. All in all, its a very good scope and it does what I need it to do. If you are in the market for a scope in this price range, I will also suggest looking at this one as well: http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-5-56

I have the 7.62/300 blackout version and it is a helluva scope! On par with the Vortex with the glass being a slightly better. The reticle phenomenal.
ADCOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:07 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm about to purchase a scope of one of my ARs and I'm looking at the Vortex Eagle Strike 1x6 scope. If you have one chime in. How do you like it? Thanks Chris
I put a 1-6 Strike Eagle on my Tavor. At 1x I've found it is capable of red-dot like "two eyes open" shooting, with a little eye "training ". It's a little tough to do if you're used to looking thru typical tube-type scope/reticle sights, but a few range trips (and a few trips around the house "clearing rooms" for fun/practice&#128527 you'll get used to it. Other posters are correct, the reticle is a little busy visually if you're (again) used to a standard scope reticle. I found this to be true more when used in the illuminated mode, a lot of red lighting up. With a little practice I actually kinda started liking the reticle, though I may be odd but I preferred the non-illuminated mode.

As far as accuracy goes, close targets in low magnification "red-dot" like mode I found it no different than a decent red-dot. At 100-200 yds it was pretty good, groups not where I like them but good enough to hit an 8" paper plate somewhere in the paper. I realized at that point that it was probably the Tavor that was the limiting factor, at least for me since I'm a bullpup newbie and 200 yds tight groupings with that rifle may be asking a bit much. Switched the Strike Eagle over to my LWRCI DI and way, way better accuracy, even at 50 yds as well as out to 200. Scope seems like it would be great for 3-gun rig, in fact it's kinda why I bought it - though I don't yet shoot 3-gun......yet.

I fully recommend this scope to anyone. Been a Bushnell man for over 30 years, but have been grabbing Vortex optics left & right for last year or so & couldn't be happier with all of them. BTW, the Tavor now has a Vortex Strikefire II which IMO is way better suited for that rifle, or at least my skill level with it so far.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:38 AM #6

Love the 1-6 SE. I've had no issues and vortex has always been good to go in my book.
www.LoansbyLowry.com
410 753 2236

NRA member & MSI Executive member
El_flasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:43 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
Chris, I have a Strike Eagle 1x6 mounted on a Colt AR. I'm satisfied with the scope overall, and I think it's a pretty solid value for the money.

Just by way of mention, I'll throw this thought out there. The biggest challenge I had with this scope initially really had nothing to do with the scope per se. Mechanics and clarity were both acceptable. Rather, it had to do with me getting used to a reticle design that's vastly different than what I'm primarily used to using. The Strike Eagle reticle is designed to be a quick acquisition reticle for sizable targets, say for 3 gun as an example. It does that well, and it allows you to get on target quickly on 1x with both eyes open, if that's your desire. That was exactly what I wanted this scope and reticle to be able to deliver on the 1x setting. Both eyes open is my preferred method of shooting anyway. Set up properly, the reticle works quite well for that purpose. It also seems to me to be pretty close to a true 1x on the low end, and I had wondered about that. And it performs adequately as well on 6x for more precise shooting, which was also something I hoped this scope would be able to deliver.

But seeing that reticle initially? THAT...for me...was another matter. It's the ONLY scope I own with a reticle configuration of that sort. It took me back a little initially, and it was/can be a bit of a mind's eye adjustment, if what you're used to using (as I am) is the more traditional crosshair or mil-dot type reticle configuration for precision type shooting.
I have one of these as well and Uncle Duke is right. The reticle for me is very busy and for close range shooting I was hindered a bit over my red dot at first. At distance though it is invaluable. I easily engaged targets from 100yards-500yards at hundred yard increments. Holding over with a 1x red dot at 500yards is difficult (at least for me) with no magnification and have found that 6x is perfect to accurately make shots quickly at distance, especially with the reticle. That being said, I wish they would make a version with only a simple dot that is illuminated over the zero point. That way your eye is immediately drawn to your zero instead of an entire Christmas tree.

Depending on the distance you are trying to shoot your AR, 6x should be great and personally I don't think I would venture into the 8x with my 556 caliber rifle. I would say it is an excellent purchase, especially for a budget minded shooter.
Silverlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:51 AM #8
Pre-Banned

Pre-Banned

Good post! I just put a Strike Eagle on an AR and I like it so far. That carries no weight as I have yet to take it to the range tho. Hoping to try some 3-gun at AGC soon.

MD Collector | FL CCW | MSI | Arlington RPC | Meade RPC | AGC | NRA | Murican!
Slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 08:14 AM #9

Thanks to all your comments helped me make the purchase. One used Vortex since the warranty is absolute no worries there. I have a set of 30mm quick detach high rings, I'll try them maybe they will work if not off to buy the correct mount. I'll report back, Thanks again, Chris
NRA Range Safety Officer

Old June 17th, 2017, 10:43 AM #10
Legalize the Constitution

Legalize the Constitution

I am unimpressed with the one I have. The busyness of the reticle doesn't both me, however the overall construction of the scope is kind of cheap. The objective lense retention ring is glued is place instead of being threaded. The glass has significant fish eye and is mediocre at best. The exterior finish is some sort of spray on coating, it's not andonized. The first one I bought had nearly half the field of view out of focus, I'm guessing one of the internal lenses was canted. It's replacement had a mid size round haze spot, I'm guessing it had some glue or grease on an internal lens.

Overall I would give it a C rating.
sailskidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 02:49 PM #11

I think the Eagle Strike is made in China so it would hit or miss on the quality of all the components. I'll see if I get a good one once received. Chris
NRA Range Safety Officer

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:10 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks to all your comments helped me make the purchase. One used Vortex since the warranty is absolute no worries there. I have a set of 30mm quick detach high rings, I'll try them maybe they will work if not off to buy the correct mount. I'll report back, Thanks again, Chris
Chris looks like you may have purchased already but I have one on my
AR you can try. I'm also a member of BCGF and can meet you one day.
flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:20 AM #13

I have one on a AR I ran for a Carbine class at BSR.

It worked fine for the class from almost touching distance to 100 yards. My has clear, good field of view, no noticeable fish eye.

If you get one with issues, contact Vortex, they will fix or replace it.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:20 AM #14

It's definitely made with Vortex's lower-end glass, but you get what you pay for. Mine has held zero over a few thousand rounds. I think it was made to be an affordable 3-gun scope and it does that job well.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM #15

Well mine came in today-it was sold as a used/demo/open box scope it doesn't look used at all not a mark on it. Now off to find a mount unless I have one somewhere in the room (play). Chris

NRA Range Safety Officer

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Optics