• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    It appears from pilot25's comment is that they do not print at that location but does anyone know any more about them?

Their targets are branded with their logo but there is no way they make them at that location. There isn't enough space. They have a little office and a good size warehouse but the other side of the building is another company. I'm not a manufacturing guru so I could be really wrong.

Nevertheless, they are a good place to get supplies.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Hi! I got my first AR-15 (LWRC-DI) in February and have been shooting at 25 yards then moved up to 50 yards. Yesterday I had some good grouping at 50 yards (image attached) so I’m thinking that maybe it’s time to move again to 75 yards. Eventually I would like to shoot 100 yards. When I did a trial run at 75 yards, it was a little hard for me to focus on the target.

This target is what I have been using.

I am using Vortex Spitfire 1x.

I am still learning things when it comes to shooting an AR-15: targets, optics and so on.

Is there a better target for shooting at 75-100 yards? And should I be using an optics with magnification? Thoughts & recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Nice first post, welcome to the forum! Nice looking group on that target.
    First, your focus should be on the sight, not the target. The human eye is not capable of focusing on two objects, at different distances, at the same time. You should be looking for sight alignment, sight picture with focus on the front sight and break the shot. This holds true even with optics, where final focus should be on the reticle.
    Second, The color and design of the target you are using is not that great due to the way the human eye picks up different colors. I would suggest trying a darker target such as the "Shoot & See" targets available at the local Walmart. As others suggested, National Target is a good source for targets also. National Target has been making targets for a long, long time and are one of the suppliers for the targets used for competitive shooting disciplines.
    Third, Try using an actual rest to place the rifle on instead of using the magazine. Anything that you can rest the float tube on will do. Back pack, ammo can with a towel over it to protect the rifle's finish, etc. , something of that nature. You get the idea. A bipod works well, if you have or can borrow one.
    Best of success with your shooting!

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    Their targets are branded with their logo but there is no way they make them at that location. There isn't enough space. They have a little office and a good size warehouse but the other side of the building is another company. I'm not a manufacturing guru so I could be really wrong.

Nevertheless, they are a good place to get supplies.

Thanks! I will have to give them a call and place an order.

NavyMA85

Jun 11, 2013
    Saint Marys, MD
    I definitely recommend using a higher contrast target for longer distances, as for using a red dot its not gonna be as precise out to 100 and further. you can definitely put it on a man sized target at longer distances still but precision shooting will be tough...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just a quick question. If red and orange are better seen, why do we shoot black targets when we shoot across the course?

Because color printing is (or used to be) way more expensive that b&w. Back in the 80s, there was this fancy new national newspaper ("USA Today") whose novelty was color. Ooooohhh. Fancy color targets would have been too expensive for clubs. I think even now, color targets are more expensive.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Just a quick question. If red and orange are better seen, why do we shoot black targets when we shoot across the course?

They even print targets that are intentionally hard to see just to keep you on your toes, and keep the old guys from winning everything.:D

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Personally, through iron sights at 100yds, I see black bull's eyes a lot better than orange. Any of the lighter targets (like the hi viz orange and green) just kinda wash out for me.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    A magnified optic or scope will be your answer. If you can’t see the details, the color of your target won’t matter if you want a tight group.

If you aren’t sure what to get, borrow one or buy used. 3-9 hunting scopes are fairly cheap. Primary arms has good value variable optics If you like red dots, a magnifier can help with longer shots.

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    All this is great advise. But, what are you trying to do? If basic paper punching?, stay with what you have or add a magnifier. If your looking to know your rifle and shoot a carbine course? You have a great setup. If you are gonna ring steel at 300+ yards get good glass. 3-9 or 2.5-10.

Good shooting and welcome to MD Shooters. "We're with the forum and here to help"

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom