• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Hey everyone! I have been looking into completing an 80% AR lower for some time now, but have kept away from it due to only having a drill press and some other basic tools. Recently I found a video online of a guy using a "plunge milling" method and I thought that it might be a good way to complete an 80% using my limited resources. would this be a viable method? I know they have drill press jigs out there, but I am trying to have a cleaner looking cut-out due to the fact that I may turn it into a repro lower with all of the expensive engraving. I've done some research and it seems like I would need a center-cutting end mill for this task, but I am inexperienced when it comes to milling. I look forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks in advance!

Plunge milling video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSY-0hrWlho

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    Its all about removing material. Alot of ways to do it. Drill it out is quick and efficient. Then clean it up with an end mill bit. Double check your parallel travel, ensure the work doesn't walk when traversed left to right or fore and aft.
    Experiment with the first one then do the second one "perfectly"! Good luck

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Since a drill bit is rounded and I have to go to a final depth of 1.25", what depth would you recommend I drill to before making the bottom flat with an end mill? Also, if there any specific type of end mill you would recommend? I'm thinking about going with a 1/4" 4 flute. Thoughts?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I used a drill bit to get close and the bulk out. Then I switched to and end mill and worked in small layers. Works fine in a drill press.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Ditto. A center cutting 4 flute carbide end mill with 1.25" fluke length is a little tricky to find and not very rigid. I run 3/4" long fluke ones but the shank rubs at full depth. I also use a CNC mill. On a drill press I'd drill a series of 1/4" deep 1/4" diameter pilot holes as guides for the end mill. Bunch of different ways to do it. A block clamped to the table base could act as a guide for the clean up cuts. Not purdy but...

For reference when I mill mine out on the mill I do the profile in small increments of depth because the 1/4" mill is a little skinny to be doing full flute depth wall cuts without a really good work holding and control system.

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    I drilled to the proper depth then used end mill until the point marks were gone. Don't overthink it. The FC pins are critical. Not much else is .001 critical.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Post some build pics when you take the plunge!
    Yeah, that's lame, but this is MDS and no one can slap me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom