• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Picked up a nice Remington Rolling Block #5 at the Oaks Extravaganza this weekend. The dealer (center room, closer to the northeastern corner) had about four of them, all in 7x57 (including a rarer but reblued Model 1896 #5, 1897 model-also reblued over pitting), a 1902, and a 1910 that had a like new bore but a trashed stock).

I was initially hesitant on the 1902 because it has what seemed to be a worn bore, but it had a really nice stock free of cracks or abuse, just honest wear. The 1910 stock was slightly loose and had a few cracks on the tang. So, after some waffling, I ended up buying the 1902 and taking a chance on the bore.

Low and behold, once I am home, I attempted the "muzzle test" with both a Chilean surplus round and a PPU FMJ round, there seems to be a lot of life left in that barrel!

Anybody have an experience/tips to offer regarding ammo, things to look for, maintenance, etc? I would like to find out where this guy ended up originally, if possible.

I still want to find a #4 in .22LR, but this really scratched an itch I have had for awhile!

EDIT: My photos were WAY to big, so I will get them up later.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Can’t wait to see some pictures. I’ve always liked Rolling Blocks but don’t own one yet. I’ve been searching for years for a French Issued one in 8mm Lebel.

I saw several Rolling Blocks in 7mm at the recent MACA show. I wouldn’t mind owing one due to the commonly found ammo. Somebody told me the chambers are rather “large” so case life can be short though.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Can’t wait to see some pictures. I’ve always liked Rolling Blocks but don’t own one yet. I’ve been searching for years for a French Issued one in 8mm Lebel.

I saw several Rolling Blocks in 7mm at the recent MACA show. I wouldn’t mind owing one due to the commonly found ammo. Somebody told me the chambers are rather “large” so case life can be short though.

I would love to have a French 8mm Lebel version, but I have never seen one in person. However, I have seen the Forgotton Weapons and C&Rsenal videos about them.

I actually didn't see one at the MACA show a few weeks ago, just several in .43 Spanish and a couple of #4 rifles in .22LR that I regret not buying.

I have heard the same thing about the chambers being too long due to differences in specifications. I have also heard that:

- They are unsafe because of this and you have a wall-hanger or at most a cast boolit thrower
    - One should should only use handloads made from specially-formed brass/resized brass/.30-06 brass cut down and resized and kept below 30,000 CUP
    -You can shoot commercial ammo, but use electrical tape on the neck to ensure you have a proper seal
    -You can shoot commercial ammo, but use a dental rubber band on the rim so it ensures a positive seal at the neck.
    -To only use commercial ammo and don't reload the brass as it will be very weak afterward
    -"I have shot one for years and never had an issue."
    -"Some guns were marked "7mmS" and those are the ones with the headspace dimension differences (mine is just marked "7mm")
    -"Remington made these rifles for different countries and different countries had different standards of ammunition size, so YMMV."

In any event, I have seen a lot of this same model being shot without incident in several videos online. TFB TV even did a run and gun with a 7mm Rolling Block, shooting several rapid shots with commercial ammo, without incident.

My plan is to try and shoot some commercial Remington, Winchester, or PPU ammo out of it and see what happens. In any event, I will not shoot European ammo from it, nor any ammo that has a 145 grain + weight, just to be safe. I will save my Chilean Surplus for my Spanish Mauser. If I get into hand-loading, I will make up some lighter loads and still only use the brass once if I notice any issues.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

In any event, I have seen a lot of this same model being shot without incident in several videos online. TFB TV even did a run and gun with a 7mm Rolling Block, shooting several rapid shots with commercial ammo, without incident.

You done piqued my interest.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    As promised.

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
      IMG_0346.jpg
      106.1 KB · Views: 550
    • IMG_0347.jpg
      IMG_0347.jpg
      121.4 KB · Views: 560
    • IMG_0348.jpg
      IMG_0348.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 544

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    That is nice!
    Wear shoes to the range, it's still kind of chilly out.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Aware, but there is a 7x57 R cartridge for break actions. Wasn't sure if this qualified.

The 7mm rolling blocks were mostly supplemental issue in countries that had adopted the 7 x 57 Mauser 93 and 95 rifles. So for logistical reasons they were chambered for the rimless round the main rifles used. There were exceptions, like the British Navy bought a few thousand during WWI, but again, secondary issue on utility craft, minesweepers, etc., simply because they were available from Remington cheap and the crews weren't likely to actually need rifles.

The 7x57R was always a sporting round.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    The 7mm rolling blocks were mostly supplemental issue in countries that had adopted the 7 x 57 Mauser 93 and 95 rifles. So for logistical reasons they were chambered for the rimless round the main rifles used. There were exceptions, like the British Navy bought a few thousand during WWI, but again, secondary issue on utility craft, minesweepers, etc., simply because they were available from Remington cheap and the crews weren't likely to actually need rifles.

The 7x57R was always a sporting round.

This. It was a second line rifle for many countries. The French bought a bunch in 8x50 Lebel during WWI just for that purpose. Also, they were desperate for arms.

I would have preferred a Rolling Block over nothing in that time.

I know a sporting version of the #5 was made in .303 British, among other calibers (.30-40, comes to mind as well). I know they are rare and bring big $$).

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I think I'd do a chamber casting if there was some concern about an over-sized chamber. Not a hard job at all.

Nice rifle, too.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I think I'd do a chamber casting if there was some concern about an over-sized chamber. Not a hard job at all.

Nice rifle, too.

Thanks!

I'm not overly concerned. I am definitely only shooting commercial ammo out of it, though.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I finally caught a half day of free time where I wasn't working and then directly to bed upon returning home and hit the range with the Rolling Block. It shoots wonderfully. I shot about ten rounds of new stock Prvi, which was the most accurate load of the day. I had about a 2" group at about 85 yards. I tried some much older Prvi (marked Hanson Cartride Co.), to which I noticed I had a harder time opening the breech due to dirt. After inspecting each round, I did notice I had a single pierced primer. I think it was the poor quality of the primer rather than the firearm with his ammo. It was not a deep strike, just one where the primer seemed to flake and crumble a bit. Accuracy with this ammo was not as good. Then, I tried a few rounds of Chilean FME surplus 1976 (non-corrosive? and possibly meant for a 95 Mauser), to which i also had no issues. However, this ammo was much dirtier.

I did notice that is was fire forming my brass a bit, but no cracked necks or split cases at all. No different than my 1916 SMLE.

I have got to say. This is one of my favorite rifles now. Just something about it...it was fun to shoot. I have a .357 Uberti Rolling Block that's the same way, but this one actually feels like a "rifle." I would love to see somebody make one in a modern caliber (.223, .300 Blackout, .30-30, .270, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom