• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Can't wait to take it out to the range!:)

model29.jpg

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Just watched the first 4 Dirty Harry movies...makes me love 29's that much more too bad ill never shoot mine. Congrats, its a beautiful pistol

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    Nice. Is it a 6 1/2" barrel? I have a 29-2 with the 8 3/8" barrel. I love it and I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Yes, its a 6 1/2 inch barrel.

I just got back from the range, first time out with the Model 29!

I shot 50 240 grain Magnum softpoints and 50 200 grain Special Cowboy softpoints. I alternated cylinders.

First Impressions:

-The gun is extremely accurate. I shot at 25 feet and 75 feet, and was regularly hitting the bull or within a few inches sized circle around the bullseye in single action, and double action at 25 feet, and within a six inch circle around the bull at 75 feet..

-The sites are very good. I like the red mark on the front blade, and then white paint around then opening of the rear sight, this helped my aim in the dim lighting of the indoor range.

-The trigger seemed just right in both single and double action.

-Recoil. The gun really jumped with the 240 grain Magnum soft points, nice fireball too.:party29: The recoil was substantial, but managable. Because of the muzzle flip, I did need to reaquire my target in the sights for my second shot. With the 200 grain Special Cowboy rounds the recoil was almost non-existant, similiar to a .38 Special fired out of a .357 Magnum, there wasnt any muzzle flip, and no need to reaquire your target after your first shot.

-Grips. Nice wood. However while shooting the 240 grain Magnum rounds, I found that the gun and grip wanted to rise up in my right hand after each shot, especially in rapid fire. I really needed to concentrate on holding on tight. Early on in the session, I wasnt aware of the grip riding up, and the left side rear corner of the grip, near the top of the grip bit the webbing on my left hand between my thumb and forefinger, causing a minor abrasion, and a little blood, that was fixed with a band-aid.

Final thoughts

-The Model 29 is a very powerful, well made gun, accurate, with great fit and finish. I will take this gun to the range occasionally, when I want to really rock out!:)

-I really like S&W firearms. So far I own the Model 627 .357 Magnum, Model 29 .44 Magnum, SW1911 .45 ACP, and the Walther PPK/S .380 Auto. They all are great guns, well made, accurate, and come with lifetime waranty.

-I love the Dirty Harry movies, and Clint Eastwood, I was raised on them. My sons and I watched a Dirty Harry marathon on AMC a few weeks ago, thats when I decided to pull the trigger on buying the Model 29. I am glad I did.

The S&W Model 29 is a bad ass piece of Americana, it is "the most powerful handgun in the world", and it is a great addition to my Firearms Collection.:)

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Congrats! I have a model 29-9 with 8 3/8" barrel and it is awesome to shoot. I would like to get one with a 6 1/2" barrel in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom