• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I am searching for the correct arrow for my new recurve because I am really trashing my arrows that I use for my compound to the point where most of the vanes are so shredded that I can hear them in flight and some I think I am watching them deviate in flight due to the vane damage or just because they are not the correct arrow for this bow and yes, mostly because I am still learning. I use the crappy simple plastic rest that comes on the bow but I am considering putting some material on the shelf and shooting it off of that.

I have a Hoyt Dorado 50# and with my compound I am a 28 1/2" draw and I am assuming I am the same with this recurve. I would like to purchase a dozen feathered arrows. I found some aluminium 2117's on ebay with feathers that I like and I can afford. Would this be a good selection? or atleast worth me taking the dive and tearing them up on my way to finding out what kind of arrows I prefer? or am I totally off track and does someone else have a cheaper and better alternative? here is the link to the arrows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blackhawk-XX75-...944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1be79090

The arrows look just fine and with definitely work for your recurve. One thing though, not to dishearten you but if you add a felt shelf onto the recurve which most do, myself included, eventually one of the vanes will catch it and start to come off the arrow. But there are many places around that will revane the arrows for you when you need it. With a recurve and longbow practice is key, and you can't practice enough while worrying about the arrows. Shoot away and getm them refletched when it comes to it. I do it myself and its easy to do if you are into that.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Oh believe me I dont care about trashing them, I would just like to get a set with feathers to cut down on it a little bit. I also put my own vanes on but I like to maintain a small set of hunting arrows that are in excellent condition and identical just for that purpose but I have pretty much trashed the vanes on almost all of my arrows including these because I am having a blast with the recurve and I wasnt thinking about that at the time.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Shoot feathers if you are shooting a recurve off the shelf- you can get away with vanes if you are using a flipper rest or even the crappy plastic rest that came with it ---Give cedar arrows a try they smell great when you are cutting tenons on them for glue on points - soon you will be tanning your own hides to make a quiver --I bought several dozen cedars a few years ago when FS Archery had them on sale and still have a bunch of them--they last quite a while.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Feather vanes are the way to go. I bought a Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum off craigs list last year and find myself shooting it more than my compound.

Tricky devils to shoot aren't they? I will have a string of putting all the arrows in a paper plate from 15-20 yards and then turn around and get only one or two arrows on the box target. My kids have a blast looking for the flyers that don't hit the target.

By far more enjoyable to shoot then the compound. Might be a few years before i'm comfortable enough to try to hunt deer with it. Rabbits are another story.

Refletching your own arrows is a plus when having a recurve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom