• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kool361

Apr 16, 2020
    Damascus
    Now that are supreme leader has put a ban on Russian import ammo is it worth picking up an SKS? I mean currently the ammo is available and affordable but how long will that last? Would like people's thoughts on this.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Now that are supreme leader has put a ban on Russian import ammo is it worth picking up an SKS? I mean currently the ammo is available and affordable but how long will that last? Would like people's thoughts on this.

IMO they’re really fun guns, but the price I’ve seen them at they aren’t worth it. I saw some in cabelas for $1k a pop regardless of condition (beat up for got bubba’d or both). Compiling that with the ammo situation, I don’t think they’re worth it at current prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you can find one in the $300-450 range, yes. No to over $600. In between, $450-600 depending on model,country, etc. For a mint Russian I might splurge.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    IMO they’re really fun guns, but the price I’ve seen them at they aren’t worth it. I saw some in cabelas for $1k a pop regardless of condition (beat up for got bubba’d or both). Compiling that with the ammo situation, I don’t think they’re worth it at current prices.

I'll part with mine for $950. [Chinese Accent] Best Prices [/Chinese Accent] ;)

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I agree that they are fun to shoot. No need to spend $ on magazines and good stripper clips can still be found. Ammo will likely be available indefinitely, but higher in price than years past for the foreseeable future.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I think I picked up 4 new SKSs when they were like ~$120 each. LOL

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Oh I’ll sell one of mine for $945 I’ll toss in a loaded 10 round clip. That’s gotta be worth at least a grand lol.

They really are fun guns though. Years ago I bought a Norinco type 56 sans the furniture, original dust cover, and hacked-off bayonet lug for $150. I put a ridiculous laminate thumbhole stock on it and a M1A style peep sight that mounts behind the dust cover through the take-down pin hole. It was the first centerfire rifle I ever owned.

I use to be embarrassed by the money I sunk into that gun, but now I just enjoy it. It eats even the crappiest ammo without a hiccup and I honestly don't think I could part with it now. I at least had the goods sense to not replace the 10 round box magazine.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Affordable? 3-4x what it was. Might be worth waiting it out for people to dump theirs when they can’t get cheap ammo for it. Brass ammo has always been pricey in that caliber.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    If I didn't have one yet, I would. But not those surplus ones that are selling now. Watch the forum for sale listings.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What percentage of 7.62 is made in Russia? With a market our size, don't you think someone is going to retool to make it?

Doubtful. You'd need someone with deep enough pockets to absorb standing up a factory, workforce and buying enough components in a crowded market to sell ammo at a discounted price because frankly the Combloc market focuses on price for the average consumer.

Billy Bob Bumpfire doesn't want to pay brass prices. Just look at how long Yugo m67 languishes on the market when it comes up.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    What percentage of 7.62 is made in Russia? With a market our size, don't you think someone is going to retool to make it?

I can count on one hand how many cases of brass 7.62 I’ve sold. It’s always been expensive even pre pandemic. AK guys give MG guys a run for their money when it comes to finding the cheapest, dirtiest ammo they can find.

https://2awarehouse.com/ppu-7-62x39...67-120-round-sealed-pack/?utm_source=ammoseek

https://www.guns.com/ammo/rifle-amm...AvantLink&utm_campaign=56335&utm_medium=cl_NA

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If the ammo ban drives SKS prices down, do it if you are in for the long haul as executive orders and what not come and go. Beside, you can roast hot dogs on the Norinco spike bayonet.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    None of this cheap dirty steel cased ammo comes from former soviet block countries that are not Russia?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just slap a new label on it or just make a new brand “silver wolf” or something and just sell it like that and say it’s from the Ukrainians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom