• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Are they illegal to buy in the state even if they are an HBAR?

I've never been clear on this. Shop in PA has a trade in one I'm interested in

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So if you bought one of these from a shop out of state who didn't know that exactly what would happen? Not like MSP gets to audit out of state FFLs and I doubt ATF cares.

I AM NOT PROPOSING THIS AS THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Bushmaster HBARs were sold cash and carry for years, because the MSP knows perfectly well that the Bushmaster on the List is a completely different rifle and not a brand name.

A number of subtle, seemingly spiteful administrative changes were made after the events of 2012 and 2013, I believe in order to punish us for getting uppity.

The administrative reinterpretation of the meaning of "Bushmaster" is an example of that.

We are simply no longer a nation of laws. It should be perfectly legal for a Pennsylvania or Maryland dealer to sell you a Bushmaster HBAR cash and carry, but I don't see it happening.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Tis a grey area. Bushmaster semi auto carbine refers to the ugly monkey guns like the M17S (IIRC).

MSP treats all Bushmasters as these and says they are verboten. Nothing in COMAR reflects this. A rich and bored person may force the issue by buying a Bushmaster and suing MSP and the state of MD.

A frugal and sensible person would ask the FFL to pull the gas tube rendering the firearm non semiautomatic and/or buy the rifle as a parts kit sans lower. Then have the FFL keep the lower as payment.

You can also legally buy a Bushmaster lower reciever. I have one sitting on my desk at home that is a post 2013 lower.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Tis a grey area. Bushmaster semi auto carbine refers to the ugly monkey guns like the M17S (IIRC).

MSP treats all Bushmasters as these and says they are verboten. Nothing in COMAR reflects this. A rich and bored person may force the issue by buying a Bushmaster and suing MSP and the state of MD.

A frugal and sensible person would ask the FFL to pull the gas tube rendering the firearm non semiautomatic and/or buy the rifle as a parts kit sans lower. Then have the FFL keep the lower as payment.

You can also legally buy a Bushmaster lower reciever. I have one sitting on my desk at home that is a post 2013 lower.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It only became a "gray area" after 2013.

Through 2013, there was simply no question that Bushmaster brand HBARs were unregulated and were not the "monkey guns" named on the Ban List.

The State Police knew that and still know that. This "ban" is extra-legal and purely administrative.

Makes no practical difference, because we are no longer a nation of laws.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I can buy at an FFL in PA though. No MD dealer has to be involved

If you do so, the FFL and you will be guilty of a Federal felony.

Federal law says that a long gun purchased out of the state of residence of the buyer must be legal in the state where the transaction occurs AND THE STATE OF RESIDENCE OF THE BUYER.

Another data point, when MSP started this Bushmaster crap, the Bushmaster company was contacted to get them to fight it. They declined. Basically told MD residents that our business was not worth their time and trouble. F--- them.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you do so, the FFL and you will be guilty of a Federal felony.

Federal law says that a long gun purchased out of the state of residence of the buyer must be legal in the state where the transaction occurs AND THE STATE OF RESIDENCE OF THE BUYER.

Another data point, when MSP started this Bushmaster crap, the Bushmaster company was contacted to get them to fight it. They declined. Basically told MD residents that our business was not worth their time and trouble. F--- them.

I get it's illegal. But who checks? ATF? MSP doesn't have jurisdiction out of state

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    You’re out of luck.

But don’t sweat it, bushmasters are generally not even that great, especially the newer ones.

Look at a Windham if you want the next best thing. They make an HBAR version that is sold all over Maryland.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Bushmaster HBARs were sold cash and carry for years, because the MSP knows perfectly well that the Bushmaster on the List is a completely different rifle and not a brand name.

A number of subtle, seemingly spiteful administrative changes were made after the events of 2012 and 2013, I believe in order to punish us for getting uppity.

The administrative reinterpretation of the meaning of "Bushmaster" is an example of that.

We are simply no longer a nation of laws. It should be perfectly legal for a Pennsylvania or Maryland dealer to sell you a Bushmaster HBAR cash and carry, but I don't see it happening.

This is exactly what I thought but was waiting for someone more articulate than me to say it. :thumbsup:

I am speaking about the interpretation of the law regarding Bushmaster, although I agree wholeheartedly with all points made.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

That's ok - Windham Weaponry is the genuine item, makes a much better rifle, and seems to be more Maryland-friendly.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I get it's illegal. But who checks? ATF? MSP doesn't have jurisdiction out of state

There was talk a few years back about the ATF doing their audits of NO VA dealers and looking at certain types of AR's that were sold to MD residents, they then turned the info over to MSP who paid some people visits...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom