• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmp012

Mar 7, 2016
    Hello,

I was given an older style bow from my wifes grandfather. I know almost nothing about archery of any sort other than the few searches I've done today. (more on that below)

The model is a Darton 40B and I believe this is from the 80's.

The condition itself seems quite good, however, I don't think its been in use for probably more than a decade and I am cautious to pull the string back in fear of it snapping on me.

From my understanding, this compound bow has a "teardrop" style string according to this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciJoGfVlVn0

According to an ebay post this bow is 44 inches in length. (if that info helps)

And I measured from the top loop to the bottom loop which measures in at 32 inches (See image below):

Jrd2Bh1

Would that mean, I buy a 32 inch teardrop bowstring or is there any gotchas in place?

This absolute novice could really use some advice on where to start on changing that super old bow string and any other tips they can offer that might be relevant for me.

I appreciate any help in advanced!

Attachments

• bow.jpg
      bow.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 468

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    When you buy a string make sure the measurement is actual length---shouldn't be hard to find 60x has for $15.99 probably cheaper elsewhere

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    If AMO string length is 32", then that is what you order. The AMO should be on a sticker on the bow. You want to order an "endless loop for a compound". To change it is ridiculously easy, no press needed.

Lancaster Archery is where I'd recommend

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If the limbs are fiberglass check them for “rot“. I have a mid 80s Jennings I was advised not to shoot anymore because of Signs of “fiberglass Rot”.
    Once it was explained to me the limb could snap on draw back while in a tree stand, I couldn’t get it out of my head and bought a new bow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom