• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    Does anyone have any experience with an outfitter for black bear in Maryland? I have a lead on what seems to be a good one but wanted to check around a little before plunking down the cash.

I have a LOT of shooting experience, just not a lot of hunting experience and need the help of a professional in this arena.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    so you got a tag in the lottery, lucky. I havent seen much for outfitter but DNR tries to set up with a landowner who have a nuisance bears

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    Thanks for the heads-up. Ill have to give them a call when they open back up on Tuesday. Now I just need to get to the AGC and sight in the rifle I will use.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    MD blackies aren't that tough to kill, a .300 WSM with 180 grainers will be more than plenty. You could even use 150 or 165 grainers if you want, see what shoots best out of your rifle.

Use a quality bullet (Nosler Partition, Core Lok Ultra, Trpohy Bonded Bear Claw, etc). A .300 WSM will have a bullet moving pretty fast, and cheap bullets may break up if they hit bone or rib.

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    MD blackies aren't that tough to kill, a .300 WSM with 180 grainers will be more than plenty. You could even use 150 or 165 grainers if you want, see what shoots best out of your rifle.

Use a quality bullet (Nosler Partition, Core Lok Ultra, Trpohy Bonded Bear Claw, etc). A .300 WSM will have a bullet moving pretty fast, and cheap bullets may break up if they hit bone or rib.

Thanks for the information. I was looking at Winchester Supreme XP3 Is this a good bullet or just some snazzy marketing? I'm just now paring down the list to a couple different boxes to see what the rifle likes.

Thanks Again!

Mike

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Good luck with your bear hunt!!

Two things I'd like to ask:

An after action report of your hunt; the area, any spottings, etc.

If you're fortunate enough to bag a bear, I wouldn't mind a little sampling of bear meat. :D

mwelliott

May 17, 2006
    Columbia
    Good luck with your bear hunt!!

Two things I'd like to ask:

An after action report of your hunt; the area, any spottings, etc.

If you're fortunate enough to bag a bear, I wouldn't mind a little sampling of bear meat. :D

Thank you! I will have a full report after all the action. Even if I come up empty I still think the experience would be worth sharing. I will also be setting up a separate Twitter account just to share the action as it happens depending on cell coverage of course. I can't use my normal account because I have too many bunny-hugging friends:tdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom