• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Thoughts on this? Anybody know where these can be bought locally? or maybe a version thats made in the U.S.? I.P. would be preferable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GM2GA4U/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ONCWVZZ6I10

I was just browsing and it looked kinda neat. Found a video review on youtube too. I understand they are Chinese and kinda cheap, but I really would like to keep one of these with a spinner in the handle in my jeep somewhere just for fun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Shakespeare makes one, not sure if it's made in the USA, though. Just and FYI, don't leave a reel with monofilament line in your vehicle for days and weeks, it weakens the line. Learned that one the hard way.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I had one years ago. I found it to be more of a novelty and a very weak fishing rod. Changed to a multi piece rod.

Don't leave a nice one piece graphite rod in your back seat on a hot day. It will not be straight the next time you try to cast with it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I've had two Shakespeare telescoping rods and caught a lot of fish with them. They're great for backpacking.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you're an avid fisherman, cheap telescoping rods leave a lot to be desired. Their portability doesn't make up for deficiencies (and likelihood of quick failure) during use. A quality multi-piece rod is much better. If compact portability is critical, a Ronco pocket fisherman might serve you better for the same price, especially in tight spots.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Thank you all for the advice. Especially about the line and leaving rods in the car. Someone else mentioned that to me about the line today. Ive been leaving everything in my Jeep for days at a time to make it more convenient to go find a spot when I get time off. I will be more careful of leaving any of my rods/reels in the heat.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never buy a fishing rod on line unless you've held it in your hand and checked its action, preferably with a reel on it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If you're an avid fisherman, cheap telescoping rods leave a lot to be desired. Their portability doesn't make up for deficiencies (and likelihood of quick failure) during use. A quality multi-piece rod is much better. If compact portability is critical, a Ronco pocket fisherman might serve you better for the same price, especially in tight spots.

:thumbsup: I'll take an ugly stick before I ever take another Shakespeare rod. Ive had a couple ugly sticks for 5+years and they are still holding up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: I'll take an ugly stick before I ever take another Shakespeare rod. Ive had a couple ugly sticks for 5+years and they are still holding up.

Shakespeares to tend to explode when overloaded. I, as a rule, generally don't buy them but, every oncest in a while I'll grab one to try again. Yup, they still explode.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    This thread has me realizing in case I get to go fishing this year I need to get my reels re spooled with new line since they've been in my storage room off my balcony which gets a lot of afternoon sun. Anyone know if Dicks does this? The only place I've had it done is Tochtermans when I lived downtown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom