• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My wife and I went out looking for antler sheds, driving around on our atv, having a nice afternoon. We came across 4 elk then I took her to a nice place where Ive seen a few deer overlooking a huge plot of fields. Lo and behold a huge herd of elk. We sat at watched them from a distance for a good while.

Then in a field to the west of where the herd was I noticed a truck parked on a ridge...I told my wife they prob saw them too. After a while one rifle shot and shortly after a second rifle shot. Then the elk herd started running to the woods from the field. No other shots prior to or after. So we book it out of there go to the house and get the phone to call it in to the sheriff. While we were on the phone with the sheriff office the truck comes down out of the field and I ask them what they are doing.??

They guy claims to have been teaching his kids to shoot a gun. And that he was a tribal member...blah blah blah...I believe he was taking a pop shot at some elk and got worried he was busted. I didnt tell him we were on the phone with the sheriff...lol

At about the same time at the end of the public road by the highway someone was fixing a flat so I helped them out and I noticed the truck that had the possible poachers go east out of the area. The highway was maybe 1/4 mile from where they turned out into the field. So my guess is they thought there was a road block and they booked it out of the area the opposite way.

If they werent poaching they were harassing wildlife...because the elk were grazing there for a while since they didnt seem spooked at all. If there was gunshots they wouldnt have even been there.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Good job! I wonder if the law would be interested in the plate number or the further information. Did it seem like they were interested?
    I wasnt on the phone but at least its a paper trail. I'll keep reporting them if they are being suspicious.

Great SITUATIONAL AWARENESS and sense of right and wrong.

Don't take for granted your safety and security following reporting the incident... Anything less than heightened vigilance might be a bad thing. Keep up your SA.

:thumbsup: Oh definitely...I wasnt about to go up to them, just because of the suspicion of what they were doing...but I also wasnt unarmed when going to report them:) If he would have pulled a gun...it would have been a different story. I make it a point to have a rifle and pistol when out and about. I went once without my rifle and felt naked without it.

I dont know about the rest of you but I have never taken anyone out shooting for their first time and only shot 2 times.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I wasnt on the phone but at least its a paper trail. I'll keep reporting them if they are being suspicious.

:thumbsup: Oh definitely...I wasnt about to go up to them, just because of the suspicion of what they were doing...but I also wasnt unarmed when going to report them:) If he would have pulled a gun...it would have been a different story. I make it a point to have a rifle and pistol when out and about. I went once without my rifle and felt naked without it.

I dont know about the rest of you but I have never taken anyone out shooting for their first time and only shot 2 times from a truck.

Fixed it for you :)

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    I live in St. Marys county and we have trail cam pics of someone poaching on our land where we hunt. So when I go out I'm always carrying something hoping I will never have to use it.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Well done! Please let us know if you hear of any follow up from the Sheriff/DNR.

I contacted the WV and VA DNRs last year to report a bear baiting location in the national forest. It was on top of a mountain that forms the border between the two states, so I wasn't sure who would handle it. I started with the Forest Service and they of course referred me to DNR. (I thought the Forest Service would have some interest since it's illegal to build permanent structures on their land--nope, didn't care). I spoke with officers in each state. Gave them the exact GPS coordinates, described in detail the 2 mile trail to get there from the road, emailed the coordinates on google maps, and scanned a copy of my trail map with an X on the spot. I basically found the crime and did all the homework for them. But as far as I can tell, no one ever went out there.

I F-ing hate poachers to begin with for the obvious reasons, but I was particularly incensed by these people because I'd sat for three days straight about 400 yards down the mountain from this baiting station and didn't see a thing. So not only could I have potentially had some issues if I'd shot a bear and DNR came by and discovered the baiting station, but if there was a bear in the area, he most certainly was up the hill snacking on the trash can filled with donuts up there. It's a classic example of how poachers literally steal hunting experiences from law abiding/ethical hunters.

I checked back last summer on a hiking trip and found the contraption was still there. I would have destroyed it myself but it's basically a metal trash can with holes, elevated on a large wooden platform. The trash can swings back and forth if you push on it, dispensing the donuts when they're in there. It looks like it's been there for 5-10 years judging by rust accumulation. I was backpacking so I didn't have any tools or anything that could take it down other than a very small saw that was useless against the treated wood. They obviously came in with ATVs and power tools to build the thing. I ended up hunting another part of the mountain instead of risking that again.

TL;DR I found a bear baiting station in an area I love to hunt on public land, on the WV/VA border. I contacted the Forest Service and DNR in both states. They did nothing. Bait station was still there last summer, so I didn't hunt there. Poachers are scum.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I live in St. Marys county and we have trail cam pics of someone poaching on our land where we hunt. So when I go out I'm always carrying something hoping I will never have to use it.

:thumbsup: Theres a lot of woods out here to "disappear" into...Thats why I never go into the woods unarmed. I might stumble on a grow or meth lab and who knows what would happen then...even with a pistol I feel unarmed. So typically I carry both a pistol and a rifle or shotgun.

Derwood---That stinks they didnt do anything. The Fish and game prob wont do anything here...but I'll keep doing my part and if I keep the pressure on the poachers they'll stay away from this area.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :thumbsup: Theres a lot of woods out here to "disappear" into...Thats why I never go into the woods unarmed. I might stumble on a grow or meth lab and who knows what would happen then...even with a pistol I feel unarmed. So typically I carry both a pistol and a rifle or shotgun.

Derwood---That stinks they didnt do anything. The Fish and game prob wont do anything here...but I'll keep doing my part and if I keep the pressure on the poachers they'll stay away from this area.

I'm the same way. When I'm trudging around in the boonies, I am always carrying. It has saved me before too!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Great you alerted authorities to some potential poachers.
    My family's land has been poached and it one reason why our game laws are printed on things the size of phone books that require a law degree to understand.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What kind of tribe was he a member of? Sounds like a cult to me...
    He didnt say but around here its typically Coeur Da lene tribe member...

I'm the same way. When I'm trudging around in the boonies, I am always carrying. It has saved me before too!
    :thumbsup:

Great you alerted authorities to some potential poachers.
    My family's land has been poached and it one reason why our game laws are printed on things the size of phone books that require a law degree to understand.

:thumbsup: sad but true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom