• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have a 2010 Wrangler and I would like to either install a good CB in it or maybe buy a handheld like the Midland 75-822 paired with an external antenna for better range. I would like to have it done by Saturday as I'm going wheeling up in Rausch Creek with a group on Facebook and some friends.

Any recommendations on where I can have this installed quickly? or where I can pick up the midland in a store? Or any recommendations on a better handheld?

If I get the CB installed in my jeep I would like to also have a PA put in too. If anyone has any tips or info please let me know.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Truck stops typically are a source for CB radio and parts.

I'm not sure who could do the install.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    I have a 2010 Wrangler and I would like to either install a good CB in it or maybe buy a handheld like the Midland 75-822 paired with an external antenna for better range. I would like to have it done by Saturday as I'm going wheeling up in Rausch Creek with a group on Facebook and some friends.

Any recommendations on where I can have this installed quickly? or where I can pick up the midland in a store? Or any recommendations on a better handheld?

If I get the CB installed in my jeep I would like to also have a PA put in too. If anyone has any tips or info please let me know.

Adams Jeep in Aberdeen will install.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Do they have them there for sale? I thought I remembered them telling me they didnt do them. I might have been thinking about aftermarket radios or something. I may have to run up there, they are pretty good about getting you in right on the spot.

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    I have a midland handheld with an external antenna. You don't need it installed. The base of the antenna is magnetic and i pretty strong. Bought mine back in the day and gathering dust in the garage. If you can't find one by sat, you can borrow mine. I'm in Laurel, MD

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Try Baynsville electronics on Joppa rd & Loch raven for the CB and parts

Try the truck stop at the Baltimore Travel Plaza 95 & Boston street they might be able to install

When I was driving a lot of rental trucks for work I mounted my CB on a piece of plywood. Ran a magnet mount antenna and powered it through the cigarette lighter. This made the radio very portable and would fit in neatly in my bag. I know for off roading you want everything fastened down but it sounds like you are in a rush!

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    This what I installed in mine:http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-40-Channel-CB-Radio/dp/B00005N5WW/ref=sr_1_1/177-7454560-6405020?ie=UTF8&qid=1406203434&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+cb

I added an external speaker. You can buy additional kits so you can swap vehicles

THIS!! I did it on mine, added a small speaker on the roll bar by my head so i could hear it better, I mounted it UNDER the center console with the connector sticking out so i could attach the hand unit or unattach it easily. Planned to add a second unit in the truck and use the handset there for when i pulled the jeep, but never did.

Its an easy install....

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I have a midland handheld with an external antenna. You don't need it installed. The base of the antenna is magnetic and i pretty strong. Bought mine back in the day and gathering dust in the garage. If you can't find one by sat, you can borrow mine. I'm in Laurel, MD

This is one of the ones I am looking for. I would like to find a place to buy one on Friday. I like it because it can be handheld or in the vehicle.

Try Baynsville electronics on Joppa rd & Loch raven for the CB and parts

Try the truck stop at the Baltimore Travel Plaza 95 & Boston street they might be able to install

When I was driving a lot of rental trucks for work I mounted my CB on a piece of plywood. Ran a magnet mount antenna and powered it through the cigarette lighter. This made the radio very portable and would fit in neatly in my bag. I know for off roading you want everything fastened down but it sounds like you are in a rush!

I tried that travel plaza for one of the CBs I wanted and no luck. They have a few but they were either way to much or basically geared towards truck drivers. I want something good for a Jeep that's very compact. The midland doubling as a handheld is a nice feature too.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    OK I'll try to tackle this one at a time

DO NOT GO TO BAYNESVILLE....Their prices are HORRIBLE

The Cobra 75wxst is a POS, I know a porfessional installer in Richmond who stopped carrying them they were so problematic

If you want a GOOD, beat the crap out of it and keep going radio get a good ol Cobra 25 or 29....They also have a 25 or 29 with weather options.

DO NOT get a Firestik antenna with the mount and "Firering" connector they sell for Jeep enthusiasts the "Firering" connector is a gimmick and WILL eventually corrode or otherwise go bad

As far as info and install help i would be more than happy to help

And my "old" mind is failing me but there is even a forum member that i helped on a VHF install on his 4dr jeep that will attest to my knowledge and capabilities...id have to go back through a million posts to remember who it was though

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    OK I'll try to tackle this one at a time

DO NOT GO TO BAYNESVILLE....Their prices are HORRIBLE

The Cobra 75wxst is a POS, I know a porfessional installer in Richmond who stopped carrying them they were so problematic

If you want a GOOD, beat the crap out of it and keep going radio get a good ol Cobra 25 or 29....They also have a 25 or 29 with weather options.

DO NOT get a Firestik antenna with the mount and "Firering" connector they sell for Jeep enthusiasts the "Firering" connector is a gimmick and WILL eventually corrode or otherwise go bad

As far as info and install help i would be more than happy to help

And my "old" mind is failing me but there is even a forum member that i helped on a VHF install on his 4dr jeep that will attest to my knowledge and capabilities...id have to go back through a million posts to remember who it was though

What do you think about the Midland handheld that Jeproks mentioned? That is basically what I had in mind. With no top I would even have the flat metal part ontop of my sound bar to mount the antenna. I will avoid Baynesville, but where is another place I can drive to and buy this off the shelf?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Locally, no, not without getting ripped off or being misinformed, i am in tune with all the local CB sellers

All the Handhelds lack performance and xmit/receive capability that the larger units do...if you want compact, the cobra 25/Uniden 68 or 680 are good choices or for i guess as far as "compact" goes you could go Midland 1001 which has a good reputation amongst the smaller radios

I could put you in contact with a guy in Richmond who is no nonsense, has excellent customer service and can put you together a "turn key" package if you would like, meaning, radio/antenna/antenna mount, coax, etc.

Here is a mount i would suggest which would put the antenna behind the spare
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/16180_0000.htm

Plus he's very 2A friendly

Unfortunately this doesn't quite help you with the Saturday thing, a GOOD Radio install takes several hours

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I use to sell CB radios back in the 70's. The Jeep use is a great idea. If you get a good antenna that is stiff enough to stay upright in the middle of the Jeep, you will double your effective power.

The 8ft whips are great when you are not moving, but when you are driving they flex and basically become worthless. The stiff 3-4 ft fiberglass antenna's are the best, but if you are off roading in trees, you need a mount that will allow it to snap down versus snap off. Placement of the antenna is important, because if you stick it in the corner of the jeep, it will become directional pointing diagonal to the jeep.

Folks don't realize how important the antenna is in making the CB work properly. Same unit with different antennas can be either crap or awesome depending on antenna and mount.

Have fun. :)

Jeproks

Jan 8, 2013
    You can buy both the Midland 75-822 and the antenna on Amazon and get them delivered today. Sign-up for a trial amazon prime membership and choose same day shipping for $5.99 per item or $3.99 for friday delivery. Cancel membership before 30 days if you don't want to keep it.

I used mine in Connelsville, PA and it worked great.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I use to sell CB radios back in the 70's. The Jeep use is a great idea. If you get a good antenna that is stiff enough to stay upright in the middle of the Jeep, you will double your effective power.

The 8ft whips are great when you are not moving, but when you are driving they flex and basically become worthless. The stiff 3-4 ft fiberglass antenna's are the best, but if you are off roading in trees, you need a mount that will allow it to snap down versus snap off. Placement of the antenna is important, because if you stick it in the corner of the jeep, it will become directional pointing diagonal to the jeep.

Folks don't realize how important the antenna is in making the CB work properly. Same unit with different antennas can be either crap or awesome depending on antenna and mount.

Have fun. :)

All true but 102's are useless on Jeeps ESPECIALLY if offroading....

a 4' Skipshooter (similar to firestik) will serve you QUITE WELL

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    All true but 102's are useless on Jeeps ESPECIALLY if offroading....

a 4' Skipshooter (similar to firestik) will serve you QUITE WELL

Agreed. I would use a decent spring mount to protect the antenna, as well. I don't know who makes the best spring mounts, but I know that some of the ones sold in the 70's would work great for a few weeks and then start to have issues. Still, it cheaper to replace a spring mount every couple of months than an antenna every time you clip a tree.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Agreed. I would use a decent spring mount to protect the antenna, as well. I don't know who makes the best spring mounts, but I know that some of the ones sold in the 70's would work great for a few weeks and then start to have issues. Still, it cheaper to replace a spring mount every couple of months than an antenna every time you clip a tree.

Hustler or AS Stainless ones when you can find them anything current production is junk

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    For radios I used everything from Radio Shack, Cobra, Midland etc...
    All seemed to work OK if they were tuned with a SWR.
    That was over 10 years ago so I couldn't tell you about radios today.

However, for antennas I used K40's with various mounts which I REALLY liked:

http://k40antennas.com/

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Check amazon daily deals- there is a CB radio about to go on "extra" sale in an hour or two- with prime (free trial is avail) overnighted would likely be 3.99.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    For radios I used everything from Radio Shack, Cobra, Midland etc...
    All seemed to work OK if they were tuned with a SWR.
    That was over 10 years ago so I couldn't tell you about radios today.

However, for antennas I used K40's with various mounts which I REALLY liked:

http://k40antennas.com/

How does one tune with a Standing Wave Ratio?

I use one of two Antenna analyzers which shows SO much more information

For example... If tuning for SWR alone were truly an indication of an antenna's performance, a dummy load should be a perfect antenna...

This is a common misconception in the (CB) radio community

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom