• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I thought The Depot was appropriate for this... It is ammo after all.

While I was in Afghanistan someone made a few of us these mugs out of 105MM shell casings from the AC-130. Mine is a little beat up from carrying it back in a duffel bag and the inside has a ridiculous layer of carbon that I don't know how to get out. Im looking for a place I could get mine fixed and cleaned up and coated on the inside so I can actually drink out of it. Its not something Ill do often but I wanna be able to as a novelty. Anybody have any tips on where to take it? Its not bent to badly just around the top its pushed in a little.

Attachments

• 155.jpg
      155.jpg
      35.8 KB · Views: 5,489
    Dec 6, 2011
    These were popular with tankers over in Europe about 40 years ago. If I recall correctly, they used Brillo pads to scour the inside and filled the flash hole with epoxy to keep the really nasty stuff in the primer pocket. I wonder if your best bet isn't a blacksmith or trophy shop to have the rim restored.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Can't answer your questions, but you could make lots of money selling more of the same here.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Hahah I should reload it definitely.

Trophy shop that sounds like a good idea..

That polishing tool sounds like an idea I might buy that but only after I get the heavy stuff out somehow as I think it would eat that right up as bad as it is.

I thought about the cylinder hone but mainly to re straighten it as it got mashed a tiny bit in a duffel bag carrying it home from Afghanistan.

I wish I could sell more but I got it as a gift and only have that one. Anyone in any ordinance MOS or around artillery or aviation that uses these shells should be able to score you one.

My last dilemma is do I remove the primer and fill the hole somehow? Or do I try to clean and cover over it? Im thinking punching it out and making a plug might be the way to go. Itll be a shame though because it has a neat imprint as some of you know the electric primers are a little different and leave a clean looking little ring.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you know anyone who does body work? they could straighten out the edge easily.

I would see about bead blasting the interior to clean it up. Glass bead or even walnut hull. Seal the primer hole with some JB Weld. Polish the outside, then spray the thing with auto clear coat to keep the shine and seal in any bad stuff on the inside.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    Another option, leave it, find a cup that will fit inside like a tervis, cut outer shell of cup off, slide it in, enjoy. Might take a little more effort than that to source the right fir, but peace of mind for not drinking in some leftover dikillyouene or methylethyldeath would be nice

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    My grandmother had lots of 8 and 12 inch shells casings that were cut down for ash trays. It was the thing in the 40's and 50s for military guys to do this.

The question is are they DC legal or is DC going to throw you in jail for having a 105 shell casing in your possession.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom