• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I just got this from Delegate McDonough. If you want to particpate instructions are in the text.

Dear Second Amendment Supporter:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office.* As a fellow gun owner, I strongly support your position.* I fought very hard in the House of Delegates to defend our rights.* I have enclosed a copy of the April 3, 2013 vote on Senate Bill 281.

The liberal super-majority pushed through their gun grabbing legislation.* We are now exploring the next step which means putting the issue in the hands of the people.* The petition campaign has not been organized*at this time.* I am simply attempting to make people aware that this needs to be done.* I am talking with legislators and others to generate interest.* The campaign can not begin until the bill is officially passed by the general assembly and signed by the Governor.* We then have until June 30th to collect 56,000 signatures which would suspend the gun law until the November 2014 election when the voters will decide the issue on referendum.

If you would like to participate in this process, please contact me at 410-238-0025 or send me an e-mail to PatMcDee@comcast.net.* Thank you, again, for your support through this process.* I look forward to working with you in the next few months.

Del. Pat McDonough
    410-841-3334
    District:* 410-238-0025

HOUSE VOTE – SB 281
    78 Yeas 61 Nays 0 Not Voting 0 Excused (Absent) 2 Absent, April 3, 2013
    Voting Yea - 78
    Speaker Busch
    Davis
    Holmes
    Mitchell
    Stukes
    Anderson
    Dumais
    Howard
    Mizeur
    Summers
    Arora
    Feldman
    Hubbard
    Morhaim
    Swain
    Barkley
    Frick
    Hucker
    Nathan-Pulliam
    Tarrant
    Barnes
    Frush
    Ivey
    Niemann
    Turner, F.
    Barve
    Gaines
    Jones
    Oaks
    Turner, V.
    Bobo
    Gilchrist
    Kaiser
    Pena-Melnyk
    Valderrama
    Branch
    Glenn
    Kelly, A.
    Pendergrass
    Valentino-Smith
    Braveboy
    Griffith
    Kramer
    Proctor
    Vallario
    Burns
    Gutierrez
    Lafferty
    Reznik
    Vaughn
    Cardin
    Guzzone
    Lee
    Robinson, B.
    Waldstreicher
    Carr
    Hammen
    Love
    Robinson, S.
    Walker
    Clagett
    Harper
    Luedtke
    Rosenberg
    Washington, A.
    Clippinger
    Haynes
    McHale
    Simmons
    Washington, M.
    Conaway
    Healey
    McIntosh
    Stein
    Zucker
    Cullison
    Hixson
    Miller, A.
    Voting Nay - 61
    Afzali
    Donoghue
    Impallaria
    McDonough
    Schuh
    Aumann
    Dwyer
    Jacobs
    McMillan
    Schulz
    Bates
    Eckardt
    James
    Miller, W.
    Serafini
    Beidle
    Elliott
    Jameson
    Murphy
    Smigiel
    Beitzel
    Fisher
    Kach
    Myers
    Sophocleus
    Bohanan
    Frank
    Kelly, K.
    Norman
    Stifler
    Boteler
    George
    Kipke
    O'Donnell
    Stocksdale
    Bromwell
    Glass
    Krebs
    Olszewski
    Szeliga
    Cane
    Haddaway-Riccio
    Malone
    Otto
    Vitale
    Cluster
    Hershey
    McComas
    Parrott
    Weir
    Conway
    Hogan
    McConkey
    Ready
    Wilson
    Costa
    Hough
    McDermott
    Rudolph
    Wood
    DeBoy
    Not Voting - 0
    Excused from Voting - 0
    Excused (Absent) – 2
    Carter
    Minnick
    SENATE VOTE -* SB 281
    28 Yeas 19 Nays 0 Not Voting 0 Excused (Absent) 0 Absent, February 28, 2013
    Voting Yea - 28
    Mr. President
    Jones-Rodwell
    Peters
    Benson
    Kasemeyer
    Pinsky
    Brochin
    Kelley
    Pugh
    Conway J
    King
    Ramirez
    Currie
    Madaleno
    Raskin
    Ferguson
    Manno
    Robey
    Forehand
    McFadden
    Rosapepe
    Frosh
    Montgomery
    Young
    Garagiola
    Muse
    Zirkin
    Gladden
    Voting Nay - 19
    Astle
    Glassman
    Middleton
    Brinkley
    Jacobs
    Pipkin
    Colburn
    Jennings
    Reilly
    DeGrange
    Kittleman
    Shank
    Dyson
    Klausmeier
    Simonaire
    Edwards
    Mathias
    Stone
    Getty
    Not Voting - 0
    Excused from Voting - 0
    Excused (Absent) - 0

pilotwithgun

Feb 21, 2013
    I disagree with a referendum. If you put it into the Baltimore City morgue voting system, you know how it will go. Better to challenge in court and vote the baddies out.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I for one don't want people making choices that undermine our chances to get this mess overturned.

I think we all need to have cool heads and make sure we understand at least as much as the people who have been working for our rights for years, before taking action.

I don't think anyone here wants to be remembered as being as foolish as the politician that called out against the AK-15. Uninformed action is counterproductive.

I certainly don't want any of my constitutional rights voted on by the same people that put O'Malley, Cardin, and Mikulski in office.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    What you're missing Travler is that a court decision would only overturn 1 part of the bill.
    This Referendum gives us the chance to Overturn the whole enchilada.
    Who knows how many years it would take to get rid of this bill in the court system piece by piece by piece. Who even says we will win ANY case against this in court?
    We thought we had a chance with Wollard.
    We as a Nation thought we had a chance of the SCOTUS overturning Obamacare.
    Thinking a loss on the Referendum would embolden MD Gov't more? Well that's not possible. Look how they treated us with this bill. It would be nearly impossible for them to be more arrogant. They didn't care what we thought before, they don't care what we think now, and they certainly won't care what we think in the future.

The Referendum would also give us up to November 2014 to buy more regulated guns and accessories. If we just wait and "try" to take this to court we only have until October of this year. Now that most people know that SB281 passed, what do you think the MSP average wait of 45-50 days will jump up to. Some peoples purchases may not make the 10/01/13 deadline.

There is ZERO guarantee we can win with a Referendum. I am well aware of how this state votes.
    There is also ZERO guarantee we could win in court. Not to mention the cost of court cases. Look at the time and money already spent by 1000's of us already in the fight against SB281.
    We NEED to use every avenue available to us and the next road is REFERENDUM.

After the passing of SB281, I'd personally rather see the money that I donate to MSI go towards the education of MD voters to give us a better chance on both a Ref vote and removing the incumbents from office.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    The Referendum would also give us up to November 2014 to buy more regulated guns and accessories. If we just wait and "try" to take this to court we only have until October of this year. Now that most people know that SB281 passed, what do you think the MSP average wait of 45-50 days will jump up to.

+1 THIS

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    Personally I'm thinking we oughta wait for an official opinion from MSI and the other powerhitters around here to give us their opinion on the best course of action.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not sure what a referendum would buy us - more time maybe, but I'm of the opinion that this needs to be fought in the courts. The masses are asses - we can't let them decide our 2nd Amendment rights for us.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Personally I'm thinking we oughta wait for an official opinion from MSI and the other powerhitters around here to give us their opinion on the best course of action.

Agreed. I don't think MSI is against doing the referendum for trivial reasons. They are way more informed than the chickens here running around screaming the sky is falling.

Heck the guy that started this post didn't even spell referendum right.

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    The Charge of the Light Brigade, 2014

You guys are going to pull us all over the cliff into a political Grand Canyon if you continue to pursue this referendum course. It will be a political blunder of monumental proportions.

If you want to see Maryland law, a few years down the road, looking like what gun owners in New York, Connecticut, and California now face, the referendum route is the way to go. Another way to say it: If you want Baltimore and the DC suburb counties' delegations in the legislature to have even more power to set statewide gun policy in the future, that's the way to do it.

The electorate will ratify the bill, especially after they've been presented with biased summary of the law to vote on ("should there be a ban on high-powered semiautomatic assault rifles with military features and high-capacity magazines. . . ") and months of propaganda (both paid ads and "news" coverage) on TV.

The lost of losing -- and it won't be close -- will be great. In modern American history, there are not many examples of state legislatures going in exactly the opposite direction from what the electorate has just done in a referendum. The usual pattern is for the legislatures to say "the electorate has spoken, now we have a mandate to give them more of the same." You can find a couple exceptions, but they were not in states like Maryland.

The resources should be devoted to defeating specific legislators in specific districts who voted in favor of the restrictions despite the urging of well-informed blocs of gun-owners in their districts. You pick opportune districts where it is possible to vote bums out -- which would be mostly districts outside the most urbanized areas. The defeat of a fairly small number could have a great sobering effect on the legislature, particularly on the Senate side, if it was seen that support for the attack on gun owners was the decisive or a decisive factor. Many of the urban anti-gun legislators have tailor-drawn districts that it is practically impossible for them to loose, even in a primary. The good news is that the anti voters are also packed into those same districts, so they cannot vote to save the legislators whose districts are more diverse.

But by forcing a statewide referendum, you give away all your advantages of being able to pick your battlegrounds and you give away the advantage of localized intensity and organization. You turn it into a game of money -- Bloomberg could spend many millions on TV ads if necessary -- do you have millions? You turn it into a game in which the news media will sway many -- how do you think that will go? You turn it into a statewide game of raw numbers. Those TV ads will turn out the voters you want to stay home. The final outcome will look like a Washington Post poll on "gun violence." And the crushing defeat will nullify the sobering effects of knocking off some bums in the election, should that occur.

This enter notion needs to be subjected to much careful and analytical consideration, if you don't want 2014 to be the year that pro-gun forces in Maryland went down to bitter defeat in the political equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

opticman

9mm EyeDoctor
    Sep 30, 2009
    Well Said

You guys are going to pull us all over the cliff into a political Grand Canyon if you continue to pursue this referendum course. It will be a political blunder of monumental proportions.

If you want to see Maryland law, a few years down the road, looking like what gun owners in New York, Connecticut, and California now face, the referendum route is the way to go. Another way to say it: If you want Baltimore and the DC suburb counties' delegations in the legislature to have even more power to set statewide gun policy in the future, that's the way to do it.

The electorate will ratify the bill, especially after they've been presented with biased summary of the law to vote on ("should there be a ban on high-powered semiautomatic assault rifles with military features and high-capacity magazines. . . ") and months of propaganda (both paid ads and "news" coverage) on TV.

The lost of losing -- and it won't be close -- will be great. In modern American history, there are not many examples of state legislatures going in exactly the opposite direction from what the electorate has just done in a referendum. The usual pattern is for the legislatures to say "the electorate has spoken, now we have a mandate to give them more of the same." You can find a couple exceptions, but they were not in states like Maryland.

The resources should be devoted to defeating specific legislators in specific districts who voted in favor of the restrictions despite the urging of well-informed blocs of gun-owners in their districts. You pick opportune districts where it is possible to vote bums out -- which would be mostly districts outside the most urbanized areas. The defeat of a fairly small number could have a great sobering effect on the legislature, particularly on the Senate side, if it was seen that support for the attack on gun owners was the decisive or a decisive factor. Many of the urban anti-gun legislators have tailor-drawn districts that it is practically impossible for them to loose, even in a primary. The good news is that the anti voters are also packed into those same districts, so they cannot vote to save the legislators whose districts are more diverse.

But by forcing a statewide referendum, you give away all your advantages of being able to pick your battlegrounds and you give away the advantage of localized intensity and organization. You turn it into a game of money -- Bloomberg could spend many millions on TV ads if necessary -- do you have millions? You turn it into a game in which the news media will sway many -- how do you think that will go? You turn it into a statewide game of raw numbers. Those TV ads will turn out the voters you want to stay home. The final outcome will look like a Washington Post poll on "gun violence." And the crushing defeat will nullify the sobering effects of knocking off some bums in the election, should that occur.

This enter notion needs to be subjected to much careful and analytical consideration, if you don't want 2014 to be the year that pro-gun forces in Maryland went down to bitter defeat in the political equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Well said! You condensed my thoughts and clarified it for me. I have strong emotional feelings after this vote and think my energy and ours would be better directed towards the next election and Operation DINO and ALAMO. I think it is best to follow the lead of MSI.

Grumpy Bill

Aug 9, 2012
    Cumberland, MD
    I know 1 OCT will be here before we realize it, but to make decisions while under stress is not what I feel we should do. I think we should wait for advise from MSI/NRA before we fly off the handle and get clobbered by our own actions!!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Well said! You condensed my thoughts and clarified it for me. I have strong emotional feelings after this vote and think my energy and ours would be better directed towards the next election and Operation DINO and ALAMO. I think it is best to follow the lead of MSI.
    Agreed - I think a referendum is a bad idea, and for all of the reasons ThisIsAFact just said. Our fight should be in the courts and at the polls.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    Lets wait and ssee what the powers thhat be want too do. They are usually more in the know than most of us. Not saying it is a bad idea. Just may not be the besst idea.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Time to be blunt.

If any only if we fail to get an injunction will I waste my time and money on a referendum.

Its not smart strategy on many levels. It gives up all our advantages to the machine and the press.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Look what the court system did to us in the Wollard case. What makes anyone think they will treat SB281 differently?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Look what the court system did to us in the Wollard case. What makes anyone think they will treat SB281 differently?

Most of SB281 deals with "In the Home." We have a little more well defined case law on "In The Home"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom