• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I just finished canning 11 quarts of my tomato soup/sauce. That puts me at 50 quarts so far this year. It is more than I need but the tomato garden keeps on providing..

Attachments

• 991FA950-C70D-445D-864E-381CA332DE65.jpg
      991FA950-C70D-445D-864E-381CA332DE65.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 253

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Why do you water bath and acidic food like tomatoes for 30 minutes in pints WITH lemon juice and jellies get 10 minutes and pickles? Not making sense to me. I a=make paw paw butter with less time in the bath, same with the paech butter my daughter just made

Preface, I've drank too much, Still canning, and was just told mom might pass soon and need to go see her tomorrow.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Why do you water bath and acidic food like tomatoes for 30 minutes in pints WITH lemon juice and jellies get 10 minutes and pickles? Not making sense to me. I a=make paw paw butter with less time in the bath, same with the paech butter my daughter just made

Preface, I've drank too much, Still canning, and was just told mom might pass soon and need to go see her tomorrow.

https://www.pickyourown.org/tomato_acidity.php

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Five+ pounds of peppers yielded five pints of Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapeño Peppers). The peppers included jalapeño, banana, some long hot green peppers I found at H Mart, and Red Chili (medium heat) peppers. There were 3 pints of brine left over, so I processed them in the canner along with the peppers.

Attachments

• IMG_8980.jpg
      IMG_8980.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 152
    • IMG_8984.jpg
      IMG_8984.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 157

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Five+ pounds of peppers yielded five pints of Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapeño Peppers). The peppers included jalapeño, banana, some long hot green peppers I found at H Mart, and Red Chili (medium heat) peppers. There were 3 pints of brine left over, so I processed them in the canner along with the peppers.

Ooowwwww baby. Those on a cheesy cheese burger with bacon.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Anyone who feels they have excess canned tomato or peach goods, please feel free to PM me about trading/bartering.

PaFrank

Apr 2, 2020
    The wife came home with a half dozen large London broils that were on sale... she cute em all up and canned them. I think she paid around 2.99 a pounds.. so we have meat for the winter.. not steak, because of the way its prepped, but damn tender more like fine beef stew. all she does is re-hydrate some veggies toss in the meat and we have a great stew that tastes every bit as good as fresh.
    We found that canning meat will really make a tough piece of meat tender. I wish i know about this or had the ambition when i was hunting. I'm sure canned deer meat would be wonderfui.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I'm sure canned deer meat would be wonderfui.

My lunchs with work from home lately are a pint of canned deer and juice drained into a pot and mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Add a bit of Worcestershire or some hot spice. Dump the meat ona plate and mash with the back of the fork to make it fall apart. As the soup/water heat up I dump the meat into the pot and heat. Put that over a cup of rice or potatoes.

That is some good and tender stuff!! I'm killing one just for canning. I can stroganoff and deer veggie soup too.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Get a pressure canner, get a book from a reputable company (Ball or Atlas) or use the FDA guidelines you can get through most Ag extensions. You can can more with pressure than simple water-bath canning.

Water bath canning is only suitable for high acid items, jellies, jams, tomatoes, applesauce, pickles. If the PH is too high, you'll get botulism.

Pressure canning uses a locking lid and the increase pressure from steam to allow for higher temperatures to be reached than you'd get from boiling water at a single atmosphere of pressure. These higher temperatures combined with pre-set lengths of time allow you to ensure that all bacteria, mold, and fungal spores are rendered inactive which prevents you from accidentally killing anyone.

Dairy does not can well and is advised against. If canning a soup or stew that calls for dairy, can it without and add it back in when you go to reheat the product to eat.
    Starches like rice, noodles/pasta, flour, cornstarch, cornmeal, arrowroot, and other common thickeners don't can well as the varying water activity and density prevents you from being sure that things are safe. The high heat also breaks down the starch where things like cornstarch and arrowroot are concerned. If canning soups, thicken or add rice/noodles when you re-heat the canned product before eating. Campbell's can do it because their industrial equipment heats so rapidly that the starch doesn't have time to break down.

Start out with simple stuff. Gazpacho, tomatoes, pasta sauce, salsa, apple sauce, jams, jellies, pickles, etc.

For pickles, make sure to use Ball "Pickle Crisp" when canning. It'll prevent them from getting soggy. It's just potassium chloride, but man it works GREAT

Follow directions for head-space. Much like C&R rifles, bad head-space will ruin your day. In this case, it causes product to gush out of the jar when it heats up, preventing a proper seal.

Wide-mouth is easier to load, but the bands and lids are less common in grocery stores.

Label and date everything after it cools. 18 months is the manufacturer's max time for most lids. USDA says 2 years. Most are still edible after that, but tend to degrade in terms of texture and color.

And because I can't say it enough, follow reputable books (Ball or Atlas) or USDA guidelines to stay safe.

I personally do dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, butternut squash soup, vegetable soup, pheasant soup (to add noodles to later), duck and vegetable soup (to add wild rice to later) pasta sauce, gazpacho, salsa, and half-runner beans (soooooo good once they've been pressure canned with chicken stock and bacon).

Edit:

I run a National Pressure Canning Company pressure canner from '46/'47. She's a temperamental little bitch, but she works good if you know how to treat her. Controlled completely by the amount of heat you put under it. Came to me from my grandmother along with jars. I have some of the depression glass blue Ball quart and pint jars that helped my ancestors survive the great depression on their farm in Roane County, WV.
    I second this. I even pressure can applesauce. Applesauce is hard to can without using sugar (which raises the boiling point as well as helps preserve). I began canning applesauce without sugar and found I had an issue with the seal staying intact. With the pressure canner, I have never lost a jar to seal failure. The only issue I found was that the pulp separated from the juice. This is easily handle by a gentle shake of the jar after cooling or even just turning the jar upside down for a few seconds. The pressure canner also helps reduce loss from item like beans if you reduce the sodium ( table salt) in them.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    My lunchs with work from home lately are a pint of canned deer and juice drained into a pot and mixed with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Add a bit of Worcestershire or some hot spice. Dump the meat ona plate and mash with the back of the fork to make it fall apart. As the soup/water heat up I dump the meat into the pot and heat. Put that over a cup of rice or potatoes.

That is some good and tender stuff!! I'm killing one just for canning. I can stroganoff and deer veggie soup too.
    What time is lunch and which day should I come down?

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    It seems that our friends like Cowboy Candy too. So I was gifted about 10 lbs. of jalapeño and a few other misc. peppers and did them up today, which I’ll share with our pepper benefactor. Result was 9 jars of candied peppers and 2 jars of the brine, which we’ll use to marinade something.

7700d733c54394081c8238b6394299fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom